Players you hated to see retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Gretzky, Leigh Matthews.

More than any other players their retirements were a reminder that we all succumb to time no matter how great we once were.

Seeing Hayes walk off for the last time come Sunday will be very very hard. Making the trip over for it, can imagine there will be a few emotional Saints supporters.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Daicos. Seeing him do a lap around the MCG in 94 against Carlton was the moment I finally realised I would never see him in the number 35 again. I had refused to believe he was retiring until that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Richardson- I wanted him to play forever

Paul Broderick- Great mid, really underrated. Every time he played, you knew he gave everything.

Matthew Knights- He was amazing in his prime. Bit of a tool as a person in the old days, may have changed now but boy, the albino could play.

Ricky Ponting, had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye after watching him walk off the WACA for the last time, last over before lunch edging a tame Robin Peterson delivery to slip. So sad to see one of the all time greats go in such a disappointing way. :(

Ricky Ponting, had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye after watching him walk off the WACA for the last time, last over before lunch edging a tame Robin Peterson delivery to slip. So sad to see one of the all time greats go in such a disappointing way. :(
Teared up watching him walk through the Proteas' guard of honour and take guard for the final time, even watching it on TV...

Wish he could've finished up at the MCG/SCG with a ton. Just would've been so fitting.

I was glad he at least made some sort of innings. Because he was looking at getting dropped without a farewell the way he just hung around for ages not making runs. I thought he picked a good time, made a decent knock and went both well and truly when it was time but also somewhat on his own terms.

I was sitting underneath the scoreboard there.

My mates wanted to leave an over before lunch so we could go and get lunch in the city and go back.

But I just had this odd feeling that I should hang around for this last over from Peterson and it happened.

I hung around for the rest of the match and ran into Justin Langer on the way out

I was glad he at least made some sort of innings. Because he was looking at getting dropped without a farewell the way he just hung around for ages not making runs. I thought he picked a good time, made a decent knock and went both well and truly when it was time but also somewhat on his own terms.

He got out for single digits in both innings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back