Politics & Government Police Brutality

Will this be a catalyst for real change or will it be more of the same?

• Change

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • More of the same

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters
The other night I witnessed a guy resisting arrest in Northbridge - took a few cops to get him cuffed, have evidence taken and then put in the divvy van. No brutality by any means, however the one thing I was curious about was that a random guy off the street walked up to the cops and started recording them on his phone. One of the cops (there was about a dozen) asked him to stop recording (if I heard correctly) but he refused and then the cop snatched his phone away from him. I left before I saw the end result but the last I saw was the guy still trying to get his phone back.

Is that legal? As far as I know and can tell it is no illegal to record police arresting someone on a public street and the cops have no legal power to steal a phone from someone they aren't arresting themselves.

I saw somewhere the other day that a town in California had brought in little cameras that the wallopers wore all the time and as a result claims of police brutality have dropped by over 50%. Seems like a good idea when so many of these cases become he said/she said affairs.

The other night I witnessed a guy resisting arrest in Northbridge - took a few cops to get him cuffed, have evidence taken and then put in the divvy van. No brutality by any means, however the one thing I was curious about was that a random guy off the street walked up to the cops and started recording them on his phone. One of the cops (there was about a dozen) asked him to stop recording (if I heard correctly) but he refused and then the cop snatched his phone away from him. I left before I saw the end result but the last I saw was the guy still trying to get his phone back.

Is that legal? As far as I know and can tell it is no illegal to record police arresting someone on a public street and the cops have no legal power to steal a phone from someone they aren't arresting themselves.

It's not illegal to film police

I saw somewhere the other day that a town in California had brought in little cameras that the wallopers wore all the time and as a result claims of police brutality have dropped by over 50%. Seems like a good idea when so many of these cases become he said/she said affairs.

Even though cameras can be good for safety I don't like the idea of everyone being filmed wherever they are as will be the case in a few short years.

That sort of thing is coming in all over the place. Will be pretty common within a few years I reckon.

Yeah, I'm like that, why people watched that James Foley video is beyond me. Why would I put myself through that sort of heartache?

I remember years ago at my old job in Adelaide - One of the guys I worked with had downloaded and viewed one of the videos of some of the beheadings that had been happening in Iraq (? ) or Afghanistan ( ? ) at the time - Well, he said he did and went to some lengths to describe what he saw before I stopped him talking about it. But he was genuinely pretty disturbed as he had faught in the Yugoslav War in the early 90s as he was from Croatia... He came out with random outbursts that were a bit disturbing at times.... I have no doubt that having to fight in a war would do that to people....

I get the feeling if I was police/fbi etc I would end up on one of these threads one day. Has anyone watched a show like Criminal Minds and seen some of the sick *s they deal with and not wanted to absolutely snot them to death once you catch them?

If Vicpol had those little cameras they wouldn't have batteries. One of the most corrupt boys clubs in existence.

I get the feeling if I was police/fbi etc I would end up on one of these threads one day. Has anyone watched a show like Criminal Minds and seen some of the sick ****s they deal with and not wanted to absolutely snot them to death once you catch them?
What about Aboriginals cooking to death in a divvy van when it's a 40 degree Kimberley day outside? Or young punks getting a flogging because they're full of Draught and cheek? Or kids who never stood a chance with no education, no firm family, no sense of belonging or love and history of falling between the cracks and being a victim of the cycle who get flogged in custody? It's always weird how people who hate sick *s, and sure they are pretty ******* sick and calling them *s is a light term, but when rapists and child abusers get done, people always want them to be abused and tortured. It always seemed a step away from a Mississippi lynching...

No time for cops, myself, and I say this as someone who's never been in trouble with them. They're totally useless when s**t does go down and when you go in to tell them about a crime, and a serious epidemical one, they speak to you in that controlling, almost patronising, authoritarian voice that's just totally false. If they wanted to be so robotic and straight you wouldn't mind if they actually ******* did something. It doesn't help that most people attracted to the common street-cop brigade are usually not the kind of people suited to interacting with the people; the drunk, angry, Aboriginal, fringe-dwelling, and uneducated public they mostly come to confront.

What I'd like to know is why he felt it necessary to stand there and film it. Like, what is the point?

What I'd like to know is why he felt it necessary to stand there and film it. Like, what is the point?
I guess he either thought it was amusing or was making sure he had evidence of any brutality that may occur. I didn't speak to the guy so I couldn't know for sure.

I guess he either thought it was amusing or was making sure he had evidence of any brutality that may occur. I didn't speak to the guy so I couldn't know for sure.

If he doesn't know the person, or doesn't want to actually help/assist/involve himself while it's going on, why does he need evidence of anything? And if he thought it was amusing, he needs to get a life.

Just see/hear of "amateur footage" on the news and the Internet whenever anything happens these days, just always makes me wonder why people think it's a good/worthwhile idea to just stand there filming something rather than doing something about it or moving away.

Back