Poor service- retail

Remove this Banner Ad

I would assume the reason some customer would do this would because some checkout people can be quite reckless/careless/stupid with their placement of particular items into bags, or what they mix in bags. Can result in certain delicate items getting squashed, broken or damaged.

For example, had a checkout guy the other day literally toss two cartons of eggs into a plastic bags, almost like they were deliberately trying to crack them, without even noticing or caring, and then proceeded to pile everything else I was buying on top. Thankfully none of the eggs were broken.
Doubt it. Every item she bought had to have a separate bag. Probably for a shop or something.

Customers not wanted ceetain things together generally are not rude either

I both understand your attitude as well as not quite getting it. Do you ask the person you buy your car from to drive it for you? They're getting your money, so they might as well. It's just something you might need to suck up one day, it really isn't that hard, unless you have a trolley worth of stuff, which as I mentioned, can be taken through a big register if you request it yourself. We can't really say no, as far as I know.

Also, no idea how long it has been in place, but it has been since I've been working there. All the money in the registers get counted and sent upstairs, and once a register has no money in it, it can't be used until the morning after. One register is usually left uncounted in case it needs to be used.

It is interesting, I guess some people are just used to that level of service. Reduce that level somewhat without also lowering prices and they might feel ripped off. You are right, eventually everyone will just deal with it and accept it, just like we all do with putting petrol in ourselves. (I do remember as late as early this century one inner suburban petrol station that came out and served you though!) But in the transitional period people will kick up a bit of a fuss.

One thing I will find interesting though is if we all go more online, will customer service become an area where brick and mortar retailers can get a competitive advantage?

last few times at JB I have been undercharged by small random amounts. At first I thought an error but anyone work there shed light on it? Is it some sort of "surprise and delight" initiative?
Sometimes items might be put on 'clearance' but someone hasn't had time to put stickers or change the ticket.

At my work it usually goes the other way and we have customers complaining because they think that they are being overcharged

Was out to dinner with my girlfriend's friends and one of them asked how big a slice of pizza was. The waitress said a standard size, to which my girlfriend's friend replied, they're all different sizes, how big? I was so embarrassed. The waitress clearly wasn't impressed either.

It's a genuine question! A lot of places make pizzas differently and thus there are different proportions of slices you could end up with.

/Seinfeld style analysis.

It's a genuine question! A lot of places make pizzas differently and thus there are different proportions of slices you could end up with.

/Seinfeld style analysis.
He was being a smart arse. And generally a slice of pizza will be remarkably similar no matter where you go. I was cringing. It was horrible.

Customers getting shitty because I overcharged them, only for me to point out they're wrong and show them myself, then act like I'm still in the wrong, are the worst.

Seriously just use your ******* eyes. More often then not the price is right there.

Also people who don't look at the price, then when they go through a register they complain. FFS.

Customers getting shitty because I overcharged them, only for me to point out they're wrong and show them myself, then act like I'm still in the wrong, are the worst.

Seriously just use your ******* eyes. More often then not the price is right there.

Also people who don't look at the price, then when they go through a register they complain. FFS.

The worse is when they get something that comes in different sizes, and try and play the 'Oh this was a lot cheaper on the tag' card, then you go and check and the cheaper price was for the same item, but lower size/quantity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'I was in a rush so I didn't look at the price' finds out price 'Jeez that's a bit expensive just for that, are you sure that's the correct price? I thought it was a few dollars cheaper' I ask the customer if she wants me to call the department for a price check 'Umm yes I'm in a rush but I'm sure it was a few dollars cheaper' The person on the phone tells me that it's price is correct 'Do you want me to show her where it was? Because I'm definitely correct, it was definitely a few dollars cheaper' I call again telling the person on the phone that the customer wants to show her where the item was, 5 minutes later the customer comes back conceding defeat but then cracking it at me for how it's a few dollars more expensive than Target and Big W

My thoughts:

YOU STUPID BITCH YOU SAID YOU WERE IN A RUSH, ITS ONLY A FEW BLOODY DOLLARS MORE EXPENSIVE HOLY s**t I HATE YOU SO MUCH, IF ITS CHEAPER AT TARGET AND BIG W THEN GO SHOP THERE YOU STUPID COW, AND TAKE THAT MAKE UP OFF YOU LOOK LIKE A CAKE, WAIT NO, DONT TAKE THAT MAKE UP OFF YOU PROBABLY NEED IT

Customers who ask you if you want them to show you how much the item was on the shelf.

Uh yeah sure, I'll just leave my register that currently has two customers with trolleys waiting, to go find the price of an item that's probably right in the back corner of the shop.

Bunnings is the worst for this, thank christ I'm no longer on front registers. They'll come and ask me to do s**t for them despite many other people around in departments and me having a line of people wanting to pay for their s**t cause I'm the only register open that isn't self serve.

Also on self serve, Bunnings is the worst self serve ever, they don't take cash at all. No wonder people get shitty there. On the other hand I've been told Masters is self serve only except for a service desk.

This. I work at a winery which has a cafe as well. We normally suggest if people want to buy wine they wait until after their meal so it can all go through on the one transaction. This guy didn't want to do that so we put a transaction through for his wine, then he and his wife ate, came t through and paid for their meal.

5 minutes later he storms back in angry and says in front of a room full of people "right, you, you need to come with me, I'm going to embarrass you in front of all these people, you've overcharged me and I'm not happy". So we went to the side, went through the items one by one on the menu and matched them correctly on the bill. "right, well why have you charged me $60 more then" and pulls out his eftpos receipt which shows a price $60 more than his meal. "Well, sir, if you look at the time on that eftpos receipt its from 2 hours ago when you purchased wine". Room full of people look at him like he's an idiot "oh....oh dear....im terribly sorry, I forgot I bought wine as well".

I pack bags when I am on a register, not when on self serve duty.

So you are one of the people who stand there directing us fools to the self serve cash registers?

My original point was that doing my own self serve makes me realise that working on a checkout, finding the bars, scanning, packing, cash register is a pain..

This. I work at a winery which has a cafe as well. We normally suggest if people want to buy wine they wait until after their meal so it can all go through on the one transaction. This guy didn't want to do that so we put a transaction through for his wine, then he and his wife ate, came t through and paid for their meal.

5 minutes later he storms back in angry and says in front of a room full of people "right, you, you need to come with me, I'm going to embarrass you in front of all these people, you've overcharged me and I'm not happy". So we went to the side, went through the items one by one on the menu and matched them correctly on the bill. "right, well why have you charged me $60 more then" and pulls out his eftpos receipt which shows a price $60 more than his meal. "Well, sir, if you look at the time on that eftpos receipt its from 2 hours ago when you purchased wine". Room full of people look at him like he's an idiot "oh....oh dear....im terribly sorry, I forgot I bought wine as well".

What a ******* muppet.
I'd be torn between a couple of reactions to this.
Just stand there in silence and stare at him for 15 seconds with a blank look on your face,
upon hearing the last word uttered out of this fcuksticks mouth turn your back and immediately walk away or
a very quiet and slow golf clap of around 3 seconds.

Tom-Cruise-crazy-laugh.gif

So you are one of the people who stand there directing us fools to the self serve cash registers?

My original point was that doing my own self serve makes me realise that working on a checkout, finding the bars, scanning, packing, cash register is a pain..

1) I don't know what a self serve cash register is? I assume u mean telling people how to use them if they need help.
2) Its probably the easiest job in a supermarket, I don't really hate it at all. Only 3 people in service have quit in the past 12 months since they all found real jobs, none have quit because they hated it.

Had an interesting situation tonight.

We have this chick with schizophrenia come in regularly. She is relatively harmless, just scopes the entire store looking for stray baskets and puts them back where they belong at the store entrance, so she is actually kind of helpful. But if you make eye contact or engage in conversation with her, she will start ripping shreds off you. Have learnt this the hard way, and a lot of people are the same because she looks like an ordinary girl. Anyway, I digress.

Tonight we had a man with his 3-4 year old son (I presume) sitting outside busking. The kid was playing a little guitar, and the guy had his own. They were doing quite well and getting some smiles from customers walking in. Anyway, schizo chick walks outside, and starts yelling at the dad for not having his kid at home in bed (it was about 9:00). She then tried to grab the kid and pull him away, saying she was going to give him a home cooked meal and a bed for the first time in his life. The dad obviously told her to get ****ed and * off, which enraged her more. A girl walking past copped an earful of abuse from the chick, who came to the service desk crying and asking if we could call the police and get the chick contained. Cops didn't really want to send officers out for a chick with a mental disability, so we were just told to ignore her. The poor dad had to call to get his son picked up and taken home he was so shaken up, and he stayed and continued busking.

The schizo chick usually has a carer/mother, but she was nowhere to be seen tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back