Review Port Adelaide vs Crows - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to say I turned off 5 minutes into the second quarter. We look BOG average with minimal intensity, how we train is how we play.

I bet the Pies don’t go half hearted tomorrow. Hinkley is rubbish, a good coach would have moved on Cornes as coach, Dixon, Wines, Boak and Burton gone too.

All indications are that we're set for another year in the 5th-10th 'good, but not good enough' zone. We have too many weapons not to win our fair share of games but are clearly a rung or multiple rungs below the actual top teams. It does not appear as though the off season recruiting or anything else that has happened during the off season has changed this in any meaningful way.

How can someone disagree with a fact?

Those matches have always been counted (the very first one wasn’t an official match). Besides, if it’s a friendly, it’s not a derby.

Finally, there’s a famous banner that the Grêmio’s supporters take to our games that says:

Practice is Matchday
Matchday is War

View attachment 1911943

😉
I thought here you meant i dunno
Ports
Not some random club in Brazil

All indications are that we're set for another year in the 5th-10th 'good, but not good enough' zone. We have too many weapons not to win our fair share of games but are clearly a rung or multiple rungs below the actual top teams. It does not appear as though the off season recruiting or anything else that has happened during the off season has changed this in any meaningful way.
Really but you have the Hornet, Butters and the tough as the old York gum Rozzee, selling yourself short, surely have to be top 4. Marshall, me old mate Junior and I forget his name but flogged the mighty WCE last year in his first game at FF.

Still feel like you need to give the new guys a few games to gel together.

Especially the defense

A decent coach, Cahill, Blight or great modern day coach would have this squad in a GF.

But we’re a small battling club who can’t get the best of the best.

Not some random club in Brazil
For Real Wow GIF by DeStorm

Sad Season 7 GIF by One Chicago
Not Funny Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

First 3 periods (the "first half") were where the real "game" was played (in the context of a match simulation) and it was to a pretty high intensity. After the characteristic Mario Kart spinout start Port were stronger for most of the game with the midfield getting well on top but poor efficiency inside 50 let us down.

Key defence
Aliir: didn't play the internal trial and it showed. Took ages to get going but was influential once he got his intercept game going later.
Rat: poor game from him but hopefully he just needs to feel out the role he is going to play alongside the other two keys.
BZT: I was surprised how confident he looked with ball in hand and intercepting. Got some good spoils in too, I think he likes being the 3rd tall. I think this is part of the dysfunction in the defence though, as all three like to peel off and need to work out who goes when.

General defence
Houston: cruised and looked fine, spending time as plus 1 at contests again like last year.
Burton: not heaps of signs that he is yet back to where he was a few years ago, but kicked two nice long range goals. Think he needs to really settle down back though rather than the swingman role he got stuck with last year.
Williams: He's so classy and smart, really think he is a huge asset and should be in best 22 but worried they will leave him out.
Jones: Pretty rusty sort of game and will need to step up next week but think he brings a defensive side that noone else in this group has so should be persevered with.
Farrell: Looked on and I like his evasiveness along with a great leg. For me its between him and Williams and I'd take Williams first. That said could easily be in the best 22, just probably the least defensively accountable of the general backline group.

Inside mid
Wines: was on full mid minutes for the first 3 periods before having an early minute. Wasn't amazing but moved well and did some grunt work. Hopefully can grow his around ground presence by round 1. I think its the right move to get him back to his best in the guts.
JHF: started forward but came alive in the guts in the 2nd and 3rd periods. So exciting every time he gets the ball and the crowd were loving it. His interplay with Butters was also a great sign.
Butters: just did what he pleased and once the midfield clicked into gear he was running the game on whilst going at a chill (for him) intensity. I think he is less in the bracket of rest up forward and more let him be everywhere even when he isn't starting in the centre square. Another who took the boots off after 3 periods.
Rozee: Was mainly up forward which I think was just load management, kicked two goals and still got involved in the guts. Had a full 4th period in the guts when he sort of led the transition period there and really stood out. No dramas, but think in the real stuff he'll take a greater role in the centre.
Mead: Looked really good and clean, not as creative as the other mids but has good instincts. Think he needs to be a mid to shine really which is a shame considering depth there but he'll be ready to go. Will probably get a game as a HFF now though if SPP is missing for a few.

Outside mid
Boak: looked surprisingly strong as a running mid and clearly still has the hunger to fight for his spot. Still took a few turns in the centre and will be useful in that role if someone else goes down/needs a rest or if the midfield needs a shakeup.
Burgoyne: had some embarrassing moments where he looked completely out of his depth. Not a great first up audition for the wing role and at this stage isn't best 22.
Bergman: barely got involved, but I think this was partly the nature of a low intensity match sim which didn't let a lot of his strengths shine. I'd imagine he would play a hybrid wing/half back role anyway and crash packs/intercept along the wing when the heat gets turned up.

Ruck
Soldo: took a while to click into gear but was the only one who could match it with ROB and get some service to our mids. Was a major part in the periods of midfield dominance. Was hoping for some around the ground marking as I know he could do that at Richmond.
Sweet: Could sometimes compete in the ruck but was a complete shambles around the ground. Not so much getting to places but having zero composure or control with the ball. Early days but behind Visentini for me.

Key forward
Dixon: looked slow as hell and pretty cooked. Still can take a good clunk and was strong in the marking contest, so hopefully if he is going to be picked half-crocked then he can slowly get a head of steam and contribute. Shouldn't be the main focal point though.
Finlayson: Seemed lost and not up to pace either, need him to click soon but maybe will be better suited to 3rd tall role once Marshall is back.
Lord: Completely at sea and barely had a touch. Should be pushing for a best 22 spot after the finals performance last year but was majorly outshone by Scully and Georgiades later on.

General forward
Rioli: Showed his class and quality whenever he got near it. Need him to stay fit because he's our only proper small forward apart from unproven rookies.
SPP: Went at typical high intensity and looked like the same player as last year. Too intense obviously though with the bump, very silly if a bit unlucky but will definitely cop a few weeks. Will miss him as he's the only one who has ever actually taken to whatever the hell role Hinkley sees a HFF doing.
McEntee: Was pretty impressive really, great pressure and popped up for some goals which was the main concern last year. Was frustrated that he would be best 22 but looked to really want it and earn it today.
DBJ: Uninspiring but did nothing wrong and took his opportunities in front of goal so can't ask for much more. Disappointing that he is the best option as a small forward.

The 4th period was a transition period where players began to get rested and the intensity noticeably dropped. The last 2 periods were then full reserves standard with lots of top ups running around for both sides. Stand outs there were:
Scully and Georgiades both kicking 3 and giving our forward line a potent look for the first time all day.
McKenzie leading the defence and showing he is still an option if the new recruits are duds.
Evans looked handy in a HFF role.
Visentini showed a lot to work with and plenty of passion, still inferior to the Crows backup ruck though.
Sinn looked composed without dominating, got some time in the guts too but was mainly playing as HBF. Needs to demand the ball more often, looks too concerned with getting to position.

Statistical sample of 1 internal and 1 proper trial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup. That's where I think we are tracking and would be surprised if we're not talking this way at the end of the year.

Honestly the biggest change from last year is we look a bunch deeper. That's about it.

Last year we looked twice as bad as we did in those correlating matches and the sentiment was the same.

I think some people misunderstand the point of these trials / match simulations.

It's not even a pre-season game yet, let alone round 1

The season starts in 2 weeks.

Should we expect anything else? We have evolved into a mediocre outfit that puts winning football contests second to maintaining a sensitive new age community image.

Crunch time for me will be around August if we do not win a final or two then Hinkley must go contract or no contract. The obvious problem is we have a Chairman who simply cannot see that.

Last edited:

No Ralph- the tackle was already underway by Rioli. The momentum of Keane and that tackle propelling Keane into SPP who braced.

The timer in the slo mo footage you posted showed the tackle lasted less than a second in which time the whole position of Keanes body changes, turning a brace into what looks like an intended head high bump.

But because Brayshaw has retired this week due to long term concussion injuries, culminating in the hit from Brayden Maynard (who was not suspended btw) we must hold someone accountable. You'll do Sam.

Get fecked.

Can the club organise a florist to send some flowers to the Keane family.

Last edited:
It was essentially an even contest which I don't think you can really complain about in pre-season. It was certainly better than last year, and definitely better than the year before. The expectation that you are going to play ultra-clean, high quality football in pre-season is unrealistic, especially given the fact they were playing in a hurricane. Also the Crows are actually good.

Main takeaways for me were:
  1. Butters is easily our best player. By far. And he could win the Brownlow this year. Dare I say it, Ablett Jnr level good.

2. SPP is super important up front and is going to miss the first 3-4 weeks of the season. This is very bad. The other options in the forward line are all mostly sub-standard, especially the smalls. Inevitably it will just mean a Rozee plays more forward which is probably bad.

3. Burgoyne doesn't have it. Kicking is horrific and can't live with that on the wing. Starting wings for the year are Boak and Bergman, potentially give Sinn a go at some point. I'd even prefer Mead in that position.

4. I'm still not convinced by the super high rotations in midfield but given the players we have, both mids and forwards, we will probably need to persist. Ideally I think you would want to maximise the time of your best players in mid and not feel the need to rotate them.

why did Ralph say "plants his feet" like that? is planting your feet the new jumping off the ground? I didn't know they twisted that into a bad thing now

Have you watched any of the other games? They’ve all been shit.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back