Review Port V Melb: Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar happened to Ebert last year, hopefully he can re find form as he did in 2013. Polec I'm not as confident in, as he hasn't really had form like he had this year before, so he may straight up be cooked. Hopefully the team can lift as one as quite a few guys have been underperforming lately, even the likes of Jack Hombsch who has been ridiculously reliable in the backline until the last week or two.

we can't expect a 20 year to play full back consistently. without Trengove + Carlile probably shows Hombsch's true level.

No doubt the 0 is harsh and I feel bad about that. I changed his score about 5 times before settling on the 0.

He'll be right. He'll bounce back. We all know how good he is and no doubt he'll be good to go after the break.

we can't expect a 20 year to play full back consistently. without Trengove + Carlile probably shows Hombsch's true level.
The loss of Trengove and Carlile has been the big reason for our drop off in the last month.
You take 2 in form key defenders our of any side and watch them struggle.
To me the game starts in defense,if that's not right everything goes out of wack.
Sadly all this does is highlight our poor drafting in the past,things have turned around in the last couple of years but we need K.P players desperately next year.

Similar happened to Ebert last year, hopefully he can re find form as he did in 2013. Polec I'm not as confident in, as he hasn't really had form like he had this year before, so he may straight up be cooked. Hopefully the team can lift as one as quite a few guys have been underperforming lately, even the likes of Jack Hombsch who has been ridiculously reliable in the backline until the last week or two.

Remember that Hombsch has gone from 3rd banana to big cheese in an undersized backline.

And that Hombsch and Polec are both what, 21? You don't expect 21 year olds to be consistent.

according to the Advertiser Ebert regained some form yesterday and was 5th best. Andrew Capel did the report, but obviously didn't watch the game and just read the stats. He did work hard but his disposal was terrible. You'd think being a qualified sports writer that if you are going to write an article about a game that you would actually take the time out to watch it.

The loss of Trengove and Carlile has been the big reason for our drop off in the last month.
You take 2 in form key defenders our of any side and watch them struggle.
To me the game starts in defense,if that's not right everything goes out of wack.
Sadly all this does is highlight our poor drafting in the past,things have turned around in the last couple of years but we need K.P players desperately next year.
Hawks?

Lake gibson?

Not only that Hawthorn were only field 191 CM defenders with no issue, eg Gibson.

It's all about system. On the weekend Melbourne had too many forwards accessible to 1-1 contests, whereas we had 2-1. Clearly our younger players are struggling in Bobby's and Jacko's absence, but it's the midfield and clearance work where our trouble lies.

I'm surprised the Wingard free kick at 3 qtr time is still getting air time. Watts clearly hit Wingard high. That's a free kick every day of the week (including Sunday). Spoiling the ball beforehand makes no difference as described in the AFL Laws of the Game rule 15.4.5(a):

15.4.5 - A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player.
A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player if the Player:
(a) makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body with an opposition Player in a manner likely to cause injury;
(i) above the shoulders (including the top of the shoulders or bump to the head); or
(ii) below the knees.

according to the Advertiser Ebert regained some form yesterday and was 5th best. Andrew Capel did the report, but obviously didn't watch the game and just read the stats. He did work hard but his disposal was terrible. You'd think being a qualified sports writer that if you are going to write an article about a game that you would actually take the time out to watch it.
Crapel is qualified?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at work and reading in disbelief that the MRP even had to look at those incidents. Shouldn't be surprised really because it seems that all a Port player has to do is fart in the direction of an opposition player and they WILL be cited. Who watches the games back and makes these reports? Does Bowden do it?

I was at work and reading in disbelief that the MRP even had to look at those incidents. Shouldn't be surprised really because it seems that all a Port player has to do is fart in the direction of an opposition player and they WILL be cited. Who watches the games back and makes these reports? Does Bowden do it?

That Schuz love tap was a joke. Dunn took the hit and bowed over when the umpire turned and looked and inturn a free was paid.

Macca is correct, don't do it and no free, but the umpire needs to understand the feel of football.

The umpire's in that second quarter caused a momentum shift, which the Melbourne team took perfect opportunity of.

The loss of Trengove and Carlile has been the big reason for our drop off in the last month ....
How much though?
It upset team balance in the second half of the Showdown but scoring inaccuracy in the first half had already put us under undue pressure by half time there. Still I can accept we lost that one because we lost them relatively early in the game.
I don't accept it as a factor against Essendon. 7g 18b against Essendon had nothing to do with our midfield/defence.
Trengove might have helped our woeful clearance work against Richmond, and likewise in the latter half of the Melbourne game. But really we fried so many opportunities around the ground in both those games that I can't put it down to the loss of those two alone.

How much though?
It upset team balance in the second half of the Showdown but scoring inaccuracy in the first half had already put us under undue pressure by half time there. Still I can accept we lost that one because we lost them relatively early in the game.
I don't accept it as a factor against Essendon. 7g 18b against Essendon had nothing to do with our midfield/defence.
Trengove might have helped our woeful clearance work against Richmond, and likewise in the latter half of the Melbourne game. But really we fried so many opportunities around the ground in both those games that I can't put it down to the loss of those two alone.
Agree. The form drop of each of Polec, Wingard, Ebert, Broadbent and to a lesser extent Hartlett and previously Monfries, is as telling in my opinion, along with Lobbe's indifferent performances over the past month.

How much though?
Yes we kicked like a bunch of school girls but Essendon got some very soft goals from our Zero defense as did Richmond.
I think the balance has been thrown out since Jackson went down and Bob has just been the icing on the cake.
If the ball is coming out easy from the back half it sets up everything down the field,we beat the likes of Geelong and Hawthorn with much the same forward/midfield set up we have had over the last month.
Problem is we have nothing in the bank to draw on when we lost our back half spine.
We have not got the KP depth to cover those losses,this is why we are close but not there yet as a real top team.

The focus is on our defence but I think we are also missing Monfries up forward big time. With Westhoff being used in defence to cover Trengove it is very much Schultz v the rest up forward.
Look back at that last 2 minutes and the ball is booted into our fifty and there is Jay Schultz with three defenders on him.

I missed the game. Standing at a trade show talking to 3 clients when I thought hey, the game is on. I carefully opened the phone and the afl app, saw it was Melbourne 3 points up.

I had a moment, faked a fit, apologised and ran for the sunny to press refresh.

What the?

Anyway, can I ask, having not seen the game and am up to page 2 (Andre's Punxsutawney Phil image triggered a relapse and I logged in to post before I have read more) so maybe it's been covered.

Let me guess, did we play that empty forward line thing again, with Schultz 80 metres from goal and with 2 on him.. .and played the fast break from defense but they blocked us and cramped us and forced us to switch across half back.

Was it that game?

If so, then I think rather than calling for power66 his head and banning him, maybe we should ask what's going on with strategy here.

Again, I'm assuming a lot so exposing myself to being wrong and embarrassing myself, but I think kens trick bag is empty.

Be fitter and run hard..

I feel a bit like that guy from the Ben Stiller film Zoolander where the other guy Will Ferrel is saying have you all got the stupids, can't you see he's only got one look (blue steel)

Ken. Empty forward line. Isn't working. We aren't enough fitter anymore. You are actually just boxing our boys INSIDE their F50.

Ken, he's leading the Coleman. Give him support and leave him in the forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back