Review Port vs Brisbane QF @ The Gabba - It's OK Guys, Finals are a Bit Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as I was at a party I thought I’d watch the replay. After reading on here I was expecting very little.

In the end Brisbane beat us fair and square. Umpiring was consistent, well done Brisbane.

Our poor conversion probably cost us as 4-5 goal loss really.

Our disposal and composure was not as clean when we are in fit and firing form. Credit to Brisbane. I thought our midfield was pants. Especially senior members Boak and Wines. However all players didn’t seem to run and carry and more quick around the corner kicks.

Therefore our defence not looking great didn’t have the chop out support they needed from up the ground.

I’m not going to pick on individual players, it’s been done. However we kick better, they don’t pull em out their ass and increase the pressure by 10-15% and it would have been game on.

Overall I’m still optimistic where this list and team can go in 2024, but I’d definitely look at trading Wines and retiring Boak and bringing in some players 25-27 who are workman like to support the three midfield stars.
Ken's always has to many of the same type of player , moving them to other positions has NEVER worked.

I'm going to take the glass half full view on this game.

We had plenty of opportunities to score goals, our finishing was deplorable as it often is, but probably worse than usual.

However, we were right in it until the double injury - in hindsight we probably should have thrown an extra back at this stage just to protect and allow us to regroup. Brisbane likely still would have won, but a far more respectable loss and we wouldn't all be melting here right now. Let's not forget they're undefeated at the GABBA, it's not an easy place to go.

I was really concerned with our centre clearance work, and how easily Brisbane got out of there at times.

For me, Lycett had a very strange game. He won some contests convincingly, but was also beaten convincingly in other contests.

I'm confident we will regroup well and rebound well provided McKenzie plays or we are able to find a solution.
McKenzie won't play.
The giants have a couple of huge ins that weren't playing a few weeks ago against us, Bedford & Daniels.
We won't be able to get the ball off them

Last edited:

I think the biggest gap is in defence. Collingwood have a brilliant strong defence, good midfield, ok forward line.
Our defence as it stands is miles from premiership quality.
Its clear we need another KPD to support the future short term key pin structures of Allir and Mckenzie , however I would challenge the notion that Collingwood have a brilliant defence , perhaps to my mind its better to say that they defend brilliantly.

They are structured up so much more effectively then how our back six work and are sound under pressure. We have lost our way defensively , perhaps in the pursuit of becoming better offensively , whatever it is , Ratugolea aint going to be the magic solution.

Its clear we need another KPD to support the future short term key pin structures of Allir and Mckenzie , however I would challenge the notion that Collingwood have a brilliant defence , perhaps to my mind its better to say that they defend brilliantly.

They are structured up so much more effectively then how our back six work and are sound under pressure. We have lost our way defensively , perhaps in the pursuit of becoming better offensively , whatever it is , Ratugolea aint going to be the magic solution.
Someone else mentioned in a post that Collingwood were playing like crows under Craig. Just flood the whole team back & rebound fast into space. But they have got 2x rock solid kpds & some great intercept markers/ rebounders.
I really think you need a rock solid defence to win the granny. A stable defence that has played a lot of games together. Ours is too unsettled, jones, Williams, Farrell, Bergman in and out all the time. The mix isn’t right & we are short 2-3 kpds with Jonas/ Clurey/ Mackenzie ageing.

Someone else mentioned in a post that Collingwood were playing like crows under Craig. Just flood the whole team back & rebound fast into space. But they have got 2x rock solid kpds & some great intercept markers/ rebounders.
I really think you need a rock solid defence to win the granny. A stable defence that has played a lot of games together. Ours is too unsettled, jones, Williams, Farrell, Bergman in and out all the time. The mix isn’t right & we are short 2-3 kpds with Jonas/ Clurey/ Mackenzie ageing.

History is littered with stats that says this. Rock solid defence, hence why most coaches focus on defence. Blight was an anomaly of all out attack and getting close.

Also lists usage of 32 players max any more you don’t win.

Which is why I think it's a bit over the top for people to blame the entire failure straight on Hinkley.

Objectively - looking at our playing list, we have some absolute strengths, such as our midfield.

But realistically, is our forward line great? Maybe at full strength and fitness it's decent with Charlie, Marshall and Fin, with SPP, Rioli, Fantasia with backups of Evans, DBJ and McEntee - not bad - but doesn't really stack up with some of the best fwd lines out there. Charlie has always been one that threatens a lot, but rarely kicks enough goals to be considered top tier. It hurts, but it's the truth.

What about our defence? It's probably bottom 6 - Aliir is a good intercept defender, however always struggles when he's asked to play as a one on one lockdown defender. McKenzie and Jonas try hard and do well above their weight, but are undersized and should be playing as a third tall. The stats show we are 17th for one on one contests won by defenders.

Our ruck is bottom 6.

Yes yes yes, Ken has had 11 years to get the list sorted etc. - but that's not all Ken. There is literally a team of ppl who's job it is to get that squad right. Have we ever had a squad that was premiership worthy under Ken?

I honestly think at times, he has over achieved with the squad we have - and at other times, he's under achieved. I think our squad is 4-6 in the comp at this stage, and has been around that level for the last 4 years or so. Our finishing positions reflect that. We definitely under achieved last season.

If Ken is going to cop criticism, then so should the list builders. Cripps has done a great job with the midfield, but where is the KPF and KPD's that you need to win a premiership?
Ken confirmed in his last interview he sits on list management. Of course it's his fault.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we ever had a squad that was premiership worthy under Ken?

We went into the 2021 Prelim as red hot favourites with an All-Australian CHF (recruited), an All-Australian CHB (recruited), an AFLCA MVP (drafted), a future AFLCA MVP (drafted), a premiership ruckman (recruited) and the incumbent Brownlow Medallist (drafted),

And promptly suffered the club’s heaviest home defeat in over a decade.

Against a banged-up team of hotel-prisoners who had just flown across 5 states in the past 9 days under strict COVID protocols.

Every club waxes and wanes with talent. Every club suffers injuries from niggles to severe.

Only Ken Hinkley teams find new and unusual ways to do everything in their power to not get it done at the pointy end.

Would Ken play the KPF or KPD anyway even if he had them?
Which KPF or KPD have we had that deserved their spot but didn't get a game?

He played Marshall through some horrid form early in his career, he backed Georgy for the longest time despite totally losing his form.

When have we had this amazing KPF/KPD that Ken has left rotting in the SANFL?

The only player that ppl will say should/could have come in that he has let rot is Hayes. It's clear why, but it's also clear he probably would have been better than the alternative we played as well.

We went into the 2021 Prelim as red hot favourites with an All-Australian CHF (recruited), an All-Australian CHB (recruited), an AFLCA MVP (drafted), a future AFLCA MVP (drafted), a premiership ruckman (recruited) and the incumbent Brownlow Medallist (drafted),

Against a banged-up team of hotel-prisoners who had just flown across 5 states in the past 9 days under strict COVID protocols.

Every club waxes and wanes with talent. Every club suffers injuries from niggles to severe.

Only Ken Hinkley teams find new and unusual ways to do everything in their power to not get it done at the pointy end.

That was a shocker of a game, no doubt about it. But it's one poor game across a pretty damn good season. Bad timing, bad luck whatever you want to call it.

But I'm not sure how you attribute it solely to Ken - the players simply did not show up, and we came up against a team that everything just clicked for.

He can't kick it for them.

McKenzie won't play.
The giants have a couple of huge ins that weren't playing a few weeks ago against us, Bedford & Daniels.
We won't be able to get the ball off them
With McKenzie out, and no Jonas, then we're in big trouble.

Simply can't see how we cover Hogan and Riccardi with what we have. I was calling out for the longest time to try some positional changes, Finlayson down back etc - even if it was just to see how he goes and allow him to acclimatize to it as well (considering it's been years since he's played down back).

I'm really disappointed that we didn't try it in some of the games where we had clearly won the game. Even the GWS game a few weeks ago would have been an ideal opportunity.

With Marshall in doubt, we probably can't afford to push Finlayson down back either now - unless we go small and play the dirty ball.

Get Evans and Fantasia in there as the mosquito fleet under Ollie Lord.

The likely option is that we end up playing Bergman as a KPD.

But I'm not sure how you attribute it solely to Ken - the players simply did not show up, and we came up against a team that everything just clicked for.

Sure, but a similar thing happened in the 2017 Elimination Final.

When Port didn’t turn up and 8th-placed WCE played out of their minds early to be 44-13 up just 9 minutes into the second quarter.

At least that night saw a feverish comeback (and blown 13-point lead in the first period of extra time prior to Shuey’s hijinx) rather than a Paris 1940-style capitulation, but still.

And who could forget the late-season meeting with North Melbourne at Marvel in 2019, where Port were heavily-favoured to ease past the declining Roos to secure their place in the eight, only to cop an 86-point thumping replete with 10-goal Ben Brown bag?

Again, another must-win game where Port doesn’t show up and the opposition are made to look like the Harlem Globetrotters.

And the master of the domain still resides in-situ.

Which is why I think it's a bit over the top for people to blame the entire failure straight on Hinkley.

Objectively - looking at our playing list, we have some absolute strengths, such as our midfield.

But realistically, is our forward line great? Maybe at full strength and fitness it's decent with Charlie, Marshall and Fin, with SPP, Rioli, Fantasia with backups of Evans, DBJ and McEntee - not bad - but doesn't really stack up with some of the best fwd lines out there. Charlie has always been one that threatens a lot, but rarely kicks enough goals to be considered top tier. It hurts, but it's the truth.

What about our defence? It's probably bottom 6 - Aliir is a good intercept defender, however always struggles when he's asked to play as a one on one lockdown defender. McKenzie and Jonas try hard and do well above their weight, but are undersized and should be playing as a third tall. The stats show we are 17th for one on one contests won by defenders.

Our ruck is bottom 6.

Yes yes yes, Ken has had 11 years to get the list sorted etc. - but that's not all Ken. There is literally a team of ppl who's job it is to get that squad right. Have we ever had a squad that was premiership worthy under Ken?

I honestly think at times, he has over achieved with the squad we have - and at other times, he's under achieved. I think our squad is 4-6 in the comp at this stage, and has been around that level for the last 4 years or so. Our finishing positions reflect that. We definitely under achieved last season.

If Ken is going to cop criticism, then so should the list builders. Cripps has done a great job with the midfield, but where is the KPF and KPD's that you need to win a premiership?
Premierships are won by bit players all the time
By this stage in the campaign the above arguement is mute

Sits in on list management does not equal controls it.
In his email to members regarding Hinkley's latest contract extension Matthew Richardson said that Hinkley had rebuilt the list a number of times. So in the eyes of the CEO Hinkley controls the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back