Strategy Positional changes for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that the experiment of Smedts playing down back needs to be abandoned. He's clearly played his best football as a forward or on the wing and that's where they should play him to give him a chance to cement a spot in the side.

1. Lang to be given the forward pocket role
2. If spots are tight in defence, experiment with Thurlow on the HFF to get him game time. He has a bit of that 'Menzel' ability and might surprise.
3. Kelly back to middle, replaced by Bews (or Thurlow)
4. Blicavs to play lose man in defence
5. Smedts to play outside mid role

Yep fair comment. Hocking may be pretty blunt and honest, which would be great. Plus of course he might actually know what goes on at the club, unlike his predecessor. I lost track of how many times Balme would answer a question about an injury with 'I don't know, I haven't talked to the player / doctor / faith healer'. You'd think that would be part of his job to know.

You don't entertain the possibility that it might be part of his job not to know also?

This :) Plus, I'd like to see Murdoch breaking lines though the middle a bit more, obviously depending on whether he can take the next step up. Important year for him I reckon, could be very handy for us too if he does make that jump.

Although, would be happy to see Blitz planted at CHB in the VFL for the first 6 weeks and see where he is at. I don't see how he can really become dominant in any position if we keep throwing him around. Needs to settle somewhere and seems suited to play a Scarlet type role, whom just so happens to be around to teach him. Use that run offensively when the time is right.
Agree on Murdoch.

I think where I diverge with a lot of people on Blicavs is I think he is to be treated differently given his background (or, more accurately, lack of footy background).

With 99.9% of AFL players you get the benefit of having watched them grow up as footballers, probably having been tried in various positions and having pretty much found that they are most suited to a particular role. Sometimes, as they develop physically after they have turned 18 they become more suited to a different role. Other times you find a player who played all his junior years as a forward but you throw him back and he thrives. But generally you know that a player is best suited to a particular role when you draft them.

With Blicavs it’s vastly different. Up until his AFL debut we had no benefit of watching him develop as a junior or having seen him tried in different roles. And therein is the problem with allocating him a role now and being inflexible about other options – we are robbing him (and more importantly, the team) of finding out where he is best suited. It is akin to telling a 13 year old – you’re now a CHB and you’ll never play anywhere else.

The other side to it for me is that he may be the type of player who we get most value out of if he is able to play a number of roles. He may never be outstanding as a ruckman or as a key defender but he may be AFL-standard in either when the team requires it.

So I think there’s a risk in being too rigid at this stage about where he is played. I think there’s significant upside in continuing to try him in different roles, as opportunity arises, so long as we are seeing improvement in him when he plays those roles and it is not hurting the team. I don't think it's productive to think that he needs to be treated like any run of the mill draftee on a normal development path, as he's clearly not.

So I think there’s a risk in being too rigid at this stage about where he is played. I think there’s significant upside in continuing to try him in different roles, as opportunity arises, so long as we are seeing improvement in him when he plays those roles and it is not hurting the team. I don't think it's productive to think that he needs to be treated like any run of the mill draftee on a normal development path, as he's clearly not.

Makes sense. Wing against Hawthorn in Round 1 and ruck against North.

Makes sense. Wing against Hawthorn in Round 1 and ruck against North.

There goes that sarcasm meter again pegging a 10… :rolleyes: Do you have to practice at it or are you just naturally this good. And you are very good.

Agree that the wing against Hill would not be a great choice after the last effort.

Relief ruck against North stands a much better chance providing there is a true #1 ruck doing 60-70% of that role and Blitz is just providing a chop out.

Go Catters

Or you could explain what benefit there would be in not informing supporters on injury updates.

Keeping supporters in the dark also keeps information out of the general media. Not saying I agree with it completely however if the club have made a conscious decisions to keep some detail, shall we say, aloof, there must a be reason for it.

You may not like it, or agree with it but like many posts on here, you do have to tolerate it.

Go Catters

Agree on Murdoch.

I think where I diverge with a lot of people on Blicavs is I think he is to be treated differently given his background (or, more accurately, lack of footy background).

With 99.9% of AFL players you get the benefit of having watched them grow up as footballers, probably having been tried in various positions and having pretty much found that they are most suited to a particular role. Sometimes, as they develop physically after they have turned 18 they become more suited to a different role. Other times you find a player who played all his junior years as a forward but you throw him back and he thrives. But generally you know that a player is best suited to a particular role when you draft them.

With Blicavs it’s vastly different. Up until his AFL debut we had no benefit of watching him develop as a junior or having seen him tried in different roles. And therein is the problem with allocating him a role now and being inflexible about other options – we are robbing him (and more importantly, the team) of finding out where he is best suited. It is akin to telling a 13 year old – you’re now a CHB and you’ll never play anywhere else.

The other side to it for me is that he may be the type of player who we get most value out of if he is able to play a number of roles. He may never be outstanding as a ruckman or as a key defender but he may be AFL-standard in either when the team requires it.

Are you thinking Murda off the HBLIne or the wing?

Considering the age of our backline its the area Id like to see us be a bit proactive. Who get the nod..well that may be interesting.

Blitz- On Blitz , if I compared him to Bathie or Luxford...he has been moved around more and I think its because he looks so versatile, and has the running talent. I can t agree that we will play him in the VFL to learn the backline trade..Id be happy enough to have him back there in seniors if the spot was available.

Walker-Different roles roles this year. I can see any real strange role changes , some earlier have hope for Walker down back. Not sure on that ..he is the one I would give 4-5 weeks in the VFL playing the role, if he looked the goods then play him. But at this stage Im not seeing where he fits.

Kolo- While we may have to experiment with the other two Kolo looks a natural talent down there in the VFL. Id like to see him get a go at some stage.

I guess a lot depends on how many fresh faces we will push thru the midfield. If we want Lang, JJ,Hartman,Cowan etc in the side one has to make a judgement on if they can not play the mid role , then Stokes SJ,Kelly etc have to play there more.

I think the VFL roles may even be more interesting than the AFL. Just how much midfield play do the new kids get?

Are you thinking Murda off the HBLIne or the wing?
Wing and pressing into D50.

He looks best when he receives the ball in space and can take off. I think he's too cramped in F50.

Wing and pressing into D50.

He looks best when he receives the ball in space and can take off. I think he's too cramped in F50.

The problem is though his weakness is his defensive side. May not hurt as much in our forward line, but will cost us goals in the opposition's. Plus, whatever your view of Murdoch is, he does have very good goal sense. He can and has created goals out of nothing. With McCarthy unlikely to be ready for the start of the season and no viable competition for his spot (yet), I can't see Murdoch being moved away from the forward pocket anytime soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is though his weakness is his defensive side. May not hurt as much in our forward line, but will cost us goals in the opposition's. Plus, whatever your view of Murdoch is, he does have very good goal sense. He can and has created goals out of nothing. With McCarthy unlikely to be ready for the start of the season and no viable competition for his spot (yet), I can't see Murdoch being moved away from the forward pocket anytime soon.
Perhaps Smedts could take Murdoch's spot in the forward pocket?

I assume Murdoch is in the forward line for his ability to provide pressure acts. I was surprised to find out that from rounds 22-25 last year (last round and finals) he was equal second in the league for pressure acts resulting in a turnover.

I agree that someone in the forward line needs to provide more than just pressure, but given our lack of forward pressure last year, can't blame them for putting him there.

I assume Murdoch is in the forward line for his ability to provide pressure acts. I was surprised to find out that from rounds 22-25 last year (last round and finals) he was equal second in the league for pressure acts resulting in a turnover.

I agree that someone in the forward line needs to provide more than just pressure, but given our lack of forward pressure last year, can't blame them for putting him there.
Agree with this. His defensive pressure is excellent and he has size, speed and can snag a good goal.

I just think we could do with his pace elsewhere and it would provide him with more opportunities to get the ball. I may be a bit jaded by his single figure possession counts in the finals though.

Agree with this. His defensive pressure is excellent and he has size, speed and can snag a good goal.

I just think we could do with his pace elsewhere and it would provide him with more opportunities to get the ball. I may be a bit jaded by his single figure possession counts in the finals though.

I would be concerned as much with the failure to improve his possession stats over the whole of the 2014 season.

I would be concerned as much with the failure to improve his possession stats over the whole of the 2014 season.
Yes, I know what you mean. My bugbear with him has always been he doesn't get the ball enough and goes missing. Although that was a bigger problem in 2013 than 2014.

1. Kelly back to the midfield. Bews a near permanent fixture back pocket, form providing.
2. Taylor never to be called a 'swingman' again.
3. Three tall forwards - Hawkins, Clark and the most fit and in form of Walker, Vardy and Stanley. Hawk and Clark deep with the 3rd a lead up the ground CHF.
4. Contrary to many, keep experimenting with Blicavs positionally as long as he is on an upward curve.
5. Johnson to start to spend some time forward but still be a 85-90% midfielder.

You're thinking Kersten won't be an option up forward?

I consider him a medium forward and yes a definite option.

I guess the thing here is that we finally have some competition for positions in the F50. If we can get the ball up there with any consistency we might just give a few sides something to worry about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back