Review Positives/Negatives vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a quick note on ben10 how good is his running at the moment, he was running as hard late in the last as he was at the first bounce. They also showed where he got his posies on the tv and a lot were in the D50 so his 2 way running and work rate is huge right now. His preseason hype is granted.

Negative: As mentioned in previous posts... Fox Footy broadcast. Usually you play a replay when the game has stopped.... how many times they would cut to a replay..then come back live and the ball was on the other side of the ground!
Also my favourite was when Aaron Mullet kicked that long goal, and they focused on Aaron Black for a good minute or so...

Agree with all of that! And why didn't someone wipe the raindrops off the lens on the camera they kept trying to use??? Actually, why didn't they have a cover over the camera in the first place??

Do you think that we are near that stage that when a player is called up, they relish the opportunity and make it hard for Scott to drop them the week after? Nahas/Firrito from today, Levi/Jacobs earlier on?

Great selection dilemmas to come this week.

It's the case of good teams making average players look better than they are. Excellent signs for the team going forward.

Cunners, black, wells, adams, scotty Thompson, hansen, grima, nicky dal wowee!!!

Talk about standing up!

Robbos piece today

YOUNG ROO HAS EMERGED FROM THE MOB

BEN Cunnington deserves more than respect, he deserves recognition for being one of the in-form midfielders in the competition.

He hasn’t done it as long as others, such as Selwood, Pendlebury, Watson and co — and Gazza is in a league of his own — but we’re talking 2014.

North Melbourne’s reputation for being brittle, which was at its most earnest after Round 1 against Essendon, has been slowly eradicated in the past three weeks.

They’ve beaten the Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide and Sydney, and have out-pressured all three.

Players have stood up in the absence of Andrew Swallow and Jack Ziebell and some players have announced themselves.

Cunnington is just 22 and has put up back-to-back 30-disposal games. Only once before had he had 30 disposals — it was Round 23 versus Greater Western Sydney.

Unquestionably, he has Joel Selwood-like instincts which is a hell of an accolade.

Simply, Cunnington is a footballer’s footballer, which Geelong coach Chris Scott believes is a player other players love playing with.

Cunnington has had 60 contested possessions for the season, which ranks him equal fourth in the competition.

He has had 32 clearances which ranks him equal second in the competition.

By the numbers, he is an early All Australian contender.

But Cunnington adds more than numbers. He adds character and drive and intent.

And that’s the Kangaroos in the past three weeks.

For the third week in a row North Melbourne has won the contested footy and out-pressured the opposition.

A stat yesterday which signals their desire was smothers. They won that stat 21-5 over Sydney. They beat the Swans in contested footy 172-163, they won tackles 87-77. In doing so, they won respect from the competition.

It’s a work in progress as they develop a better balance between defence and attack and it’s developing quite admirably.

Suddenly, the Kangaroos are in pretty good nick.

Defender Scott Thompson remains a key plank and yet again he had wow numbers — 24 touches, 22 of them effective and a game-high 11 times he won the ball off the opposition. And he played on Lance Franklin.

Sam Gibson is another who has taken on responsibility, Levi Greenwood another and Nick Dal Santo cannot be ignored.

But it’s funny that when Leigh Adams plays well, so does North.

The former Vic Metro under-18 captain had 29 touches and seven tackles and his work is contagious.

The blank look on Brad Scott’s face in the box and in the week after the Bombers loss is long gone. He is excited again. How much so will be decided over the next two weeks.

They play Collingwood (MCG) and Fremantle (Subiaco) and two wins would announce them as top-four contenders.

It's the case of good teams making average players look better than they are. Excellent signs for the team going forward.

Cunners, black, wells, adams, scotty Thompson, hansen, grima, nicky dal wowee!!!

Talk about standing up!
Spot on.

Just want to say that was one of the most enjoyable listens on the wireless for some time. Sydney bias was there but could just feel the level of pressure and fight come through. Our boys really wanted it. Brilliant effort. And great respite from the depressing world I'm in at the moment. Thanks North.

We went into this game conceding a scoring shot per inside 50 conceded percentage of 40%. Today we went at 27%. I'd be pretty confident that we concede the least scoring shots per inside 50 in the comp after 4 rounds, which points directly to the change in playing style being implemented. Very few 'slingshot' goals against and heaps of pressure on the ball carrier and the forwards.

Close to, we're 2nd - only a few percentage points behind Geelong.

32% compared to Geelong's 31.5.

Comfortably the best for goals though - 15.1%, next best is 17.3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm guessing that this is a significant turnaround compared to previous years. It seems the players have taken to this more considered, contested style like ducks to water as well as setting up beautifully when the opposition has the pill. It's great to watch.

I honestly thought JMac's absence as defensive general may hurt. But the back 6 are brilliant. Scooter - give him the AA again. Lachie is adding grunt to his marking game. Grima back to his best. Atley played a great defenders game...some great spoils. Mullett our running back. LMac is a perfect fit. Spud was the perfect replacement...and no brainfades. Then add the midfield defensive pressure and last year's weakness has become this year's strength.

Hey Rick, Curious if the club us able to share details of where the D50 entries are coming from. Eg. which position on the ground the inside 50 is generated and also the type of situation (contested, uncontested) the delivery comes from. Reckon it would make for some interesting reading. I'm also curious if the club knows the number of players in the 50 at point of delivery in comparison to last year.

I want to know how the Coke and hot chips went down!

Hey Rick, Curious if the club us able to share details of where the D50 entries are coming from. Eg. which position on the ground the inside 50 is generated and also the type of situation (contested, uncontested) the delivery comes from. Reckon it would make for some interesting reading. I'm also curious if the club knows the number of players in the 50 at point of delivery in comparison to last year.

What I have access to splits into three areas - left, centre and right area of the ground - and also whether the entry possession came from inside 70 metres out or outside.

But if I say too much more, there won't be any point for people to click on the post-match article on the website later today (cheap plug).

What I have access to splits into three areas - left, centre and right area of the ground - and also whether the entry possession came from inside 70 metres out or outside.

But if I say too much more, there won't be any point for people to click on the post-match article on the website later today (cheap plug).
Sweet!

Looking forward to it.

Ploise exploine?

Twatter almost imploded as Rick was spied wandering the boundary pregame with said sustenance. Heath, Rob and *tom called an urgent Media Team meeting to discuss possible retribution, threatening to block Rick from using his laptop and iPad. Tears flowed and a heated online exchange ensued.

'Gary Rohan a good choice as sub. North don't have anyone who can go with him except maybe Mullett.' :rolleyes:
Let's face it, media coverage will forever be the big negative., The respect and positive attention is very, very, begrudgingly given.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back