Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

All of these sons explain why Geelong is pushing to retain father son concessions:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rthern-academies/story-fni5f6yf-1227232783687

GEELONG has asked the AFL for the same father-son discount as academy recruits as the league prepares to introduce a new bidding system.

The complicated bidding system would see clubs paying a fairer price but be forced to decide upon father-son and academy picks in a live November draft.

I guess it will force the clubs to be much more accurate on the mot so obvious picks. The obvious like Hawkins will be taken but would a Bews etc.
I dont mind it , the live bidding would really liven up the draft. The draw back is it may last a lot longer.

Also could mention the fact that Hawkins was the only one of those 3 that was highly rated.

And that we have picked our fair shair of donkey father sons as well.
Wasnt Scarlett Full back TAC team of the year?

John Ralph , what a Journo....

Geelong has benefited more than anyone from the father-son tradition, with its 2007-2011 premiership era littered with such selections including Gary Ablett, Matthew Scarlett and Tom Hawkins.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rthern-academies/story-fni5f6yf-1227232783687

He may or may not be right but what about some facts to backup the outlandish statements. Like games played... Ablett Hawkins and Scarlet pretty handy.. But so where SOS , Richo , Fletcher and Watson. Im sure there are others.

Does he mention Collingwood have had more Father/Son selections than Geelong ?

Still not highly rated at the time? Bit before my time.

As I said look at that side , it was no 2001 draft , and plenty of backline players don't even get drafted. Especially in the past , I haven't checked (its just a gut feel) but if we went back the last 5 years and looked at the aau18 side , its probably far better now than then.

I always thought he wasn't a star, and certainly wasn't expected to be the star he became

TAC TOY of the year FBs and respective draft positions (from what I'm able to glean from this website - I can probably fill in some of the blanks later)

2000: Adam McPhee - 39
2005: Brad Kelleher - undrafted
2006: Nathan Brown - 10
2007: Michael Hurley - 5
2008: Tom Gillies - 33
2009: Jake Carlisle - 24
2010: Cam Delaney - 69
2014: Daniel Nielson - 25

I've got a theory about that. A lot of the time (not always), I'd say being an outstanding full back in the TAC Cup is similar to being an outstanding tagger at that level: that if you were one of the absolute stars of the competition, the team would probably have you winning your own ball, rather than focusing on stopping someone else from doing that.

I wish someone would just ask Kevin Sheehan and possibly Emma Quayle (not sure if she goes back that far, but she certainly would be able to ask the relevant people of their opinion): if there was no father/son rule, where would they expect the noteworthy F/S picks to have gone in their respective drafts (without using hindsight)?

Coming out of the juniors and into their first seasons at the club, Marc Woolnough was much more highly rated than Scarlett.

He's often left out of the Lynch/Snell/Egan/Menzel bucket of talented players who had to contend with significant injuries, but if you can remember seeing him play back in the reserves (and listen to the word of those who were around the club at the time) you knew he had the talent.

Coming out of the juniors and into their first seasons at the club, Marc Woolnough was much more highly rated than Scarlett.

He's often left out of the Lynch/Snell/Egan/Menzel bucket of talented players who had to contend with significant injuries, but if you can remember seeing him play back in the reserves (and listen to the word of those who were around the club at the time) you knew he had the talent.

I remember seeing him in a couple of games and he looked good. But I think injured his knee twice? After that he lost all mobility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whit3y, I wonder how Stephen Hooper's son is shaping up these days?
Did he play 100 games for us? Probably need some smarter football nous to say this , but was it the right or wrong call those years ago. One looks at what we did a few year later and we went again fro the big bulky ruck in SKing. Looking at Mumford one can see what attracts , yet I cant say we ever got that from Hooper , but to be fair it was more a Menzel situation. Injuries killed his chances.

Does anyone know the next possible Father Son. I know he have quite a few in the pipeline but its seem most are years away. Have not heard much about Scarlet#2 for a awhile.

He can say he barracks for Timbuktu. The guy is in love with talking up the pies. He knows where his money comes from.

Well, the quoted article isn't a great example of that, since he didn't mention Collingwood once. I also find it amusing that so many people on here (including several who have some sort of obsession with labelling others 'drama queens') have such a thin skin about articles like this.

My opinions:

1. It's absolutely reasonable for a journalist to suggest that 'Geelong has benefited more than anyone' from the father/son rule, particularly in the modern (say, the TAC Cup) era. It's as simple as counting the premierships, as far as I'm concerned. Get back to me when Travis Cloke and Darcy Moore, or Jobe Watson and Joe Daniher, win another seven premierships between them for their respective clubs, to match what the Abletts, Scarlett, Hawkins and Blake did for Geelong.

2. It's nothing to be ashamed of that we have benefited more than anyone from the system that rewards clubs whose past champions have produced blue chip prospects.

Well, the quoted article isn't a great example of that, since he didn't mention Collingwood once. I also find it amusing that so many people on here (including several who have some sort of obsession with labelling others 'drama queens') have such a thin skin about articles like this.

My opinions:

1. It's absolutely reasonable for a journalist to suggest that 'Geelong has benefited more than anyone' from the father/son rule, particularly in the modern (say, the TAC Cup) era. It's as simple as counting the premierships, as far as I'm concerned. Get back to me when Travis Cloke and Darcy Moore, or Jobe Watson and Joe Daniher, win another seven premierships between them for their respective clubs, to match what the Abletts, Scarlett, Hawkins and Blake did for Geelong.

2. It's nothing to be ashamed of that we have benefited more than anyone from the system that rewards clubs whose past champions have produced blue chip prospects.

I think thats debatable.We may we have but I doubt we are miles ahead of Ess and Coll. Its not just Flags , its games played as well.One can contribute to a Flag without being in the final best 22 on GF day. I can't be bothered going to town on the stats but Cloke and Shaw and Pies , Fletcher at Dons , Silvangni at Blues , and what about the original FA , Ron Barrasi. How many did he win with Melb. Im sure there are others. If we forget Flags and just look at greats for the club Richo at Richmond has been great for them.

All Im asking is IF a pro journo wants to make that statement , then back it up with data , dont just use throw away lines. It just plays to masses and uninformed opinion that we are the benifit of extreme luck.

Last edited:
I think thats debatable.We may we have but I doubt we are miles ahead of Ess and Coll. Its not just Flags , its games played as well.One can contribute to a Flag without being in the final best 22 on GF day. I can't be bothered going to town on the stats but Cloke and Shaw and Pies , Fletcher at Dons , Silvangni at Blues , and what about the original FA , Ron Barrasi. How many did he win with Melb. Im sure there are others. If we forget Flags and just look at greats for the club Richo at Richmond has been great for them.

All Im asking is IF a pro journo wants to make that statement , then back it up with data , dont just use throw away lines. It just plays to masses and uninformed opinion that we are the benifit of extreme luck.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Geelong has the best track record with father/sons by whatever standard measure you wish to use. Ralph probably could/should have qualified the statement, rather than just saying it as an undisputed fact, but just because he's a s**t writer doesn't mean he's wrong.

Would any Geelong supporter take Fletcher over Scarlett, Watson over G.Ablett (Geelong career only), or Daniher over Hawkins? No? So how could anyone possibly say Essendon's father/son history has been better? And Collingwood's? The Clokes, the Shaws, Nick Davis and Darcy Moore? Not on the same planet.

The thing is it's impossible to suggest that we haven't been the best with father/son picks, without simultaneously doing a disservice to what Ablett, Hawkins and Scarlett (among others) have done for our club. It's too difficult for me. I'd rather just say 'Yep, we have had the most assistance through the father/son rule. Stiff s**t to everyone else.'

Last edited:

My opinions:

It's the perfect example. The fact he doesn't mention the pies as benefiting from father sons is why you would bring it up. If he did mention the pies then you would have a point.

It's the perfect example. The fact he doesn't mention the pies as benefiting from father sons is why you would bring it up. If he did mention the pies then you would have a point.
  • 'The guy loves talking up the Pies...'
  • Doesn't mention the Pies once in an article.
  • 'Perfect example' of 'talking up the Pies...'
I'm not following. He's talking about who the best is, not who the top three is, or the top five. I can't imagine any footy supporter, let alone a Geelong supporter would think that the Clokes, Darcy Moore, Heath & Rhyce Shaw and the others' time Collingwood is in the same post code as the Abletts, Scarlett, Hawkins and the others' at Geelong. Collingwood's done ok out of it, but come on. It's not even close.

Well Maybe there will be a Gary Ablett 3....we could only hope.

For anybody interested.
The Gold Coast Suns Under 18's Academy squad, top 25,
are playing the Brisbane Lions Academy squad,
this Saturday March 14th at Southport oval at 2.00pm. and at
Yeronga March 21st at 2.00pm.

An Under 18's final team will then be selected to represent Queensland for 2015.

TAC TOY of the year FBs and respective draft positions (from what I'm able to glean from this website - I can probably fill in some of the blanks later)

2000: Adam McPhee - 39
2005: Brad Kelleher - undrafted
2006: Nathan Brown - 10
2007: Michael Hurley - 5
2008: Tom Gillies - 33
2009: Jake Carlisle - 24
2010: Cam Delaney - 69
2014: Daniel Nielson - 25

I've got a theory about that. A lot of the time (not always), I'd say being an outstanding full back in the TAC Cup is similar to being an outstanding tagger at that level: that if you were one of the absolute stars of the competition, the team would probably have you winning your own ball, rather than focusing on stopping someone else from doing that.

I wish someone would just ask Kevin Sheehan and possibly Emma Quayle (not sure if she goes back that far, but she certainly would be able to ask the relevant people of their opinion): if there was no father/son rule, where would they expect the noteworthy F/S picks to have gone in their respective drafts (without using hindsight)?
In most cases of F-S picks we were given exactly that- an estimate of where they would be in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back