When exactly did 'bom bom bom bom' find its way into the Geelong post-match club song?

Remove this Banner Ad

My terminology was 'Ultimate Mugby', and I absolutely stand by it.

I totally get how successful they were, and that can't ever be erased. But to suggest that it was either great football or compelling to watch is just nonsense in my opinion. The way we played towards the back end of '22 was so much better to watch than anything the Tigs consistently produced during their years of competition dominance.
Yeah, Richmond's game style wasn't pretty to watch, but Mr Hardwick saw a window of opportunity where he and the team he coached could catch the entire league flatfooted for a season or three.

He got the results. Veiwing pleasures of the neutral observer aside, that's all that matters in my book. W's talk!

Maybe my ears are rooted. I've got copies of all our 2022 finals and I've had a listen to the club song vs both Collingwood and Brisbane. Even with the sound up I still can't tell!!

You might be right though. It makes more sense if it actually was

we're always on the ball (ball ball ball ball)

we play the game as it should be played (hey!)

at home or far away

rather than 'bom bom bom bom'

But is it bom bom bom bom....or simply bom bom bom....

Or on big occasions perhaps its bom bom bom bom bom

Poor effort by Cat PR team...these are issues that demand clarification...

I like the addition of those 2nd verse lines to the main song....adds a lot to it and it's pretty compelling and vehement in it's intent.

But i do really enjoy just how it says We are Geelong the Greatest team of All, and we play the game as it should be played.

Pure Geelong footy is about the best footy you'd ever see, always has been as far as i'm concerned. And when we win the GF like we did this season, truly we do look to be the greatest team of all. Thinking of the dawgs, they had a great month in 2016 to take the Flag, but at no stage in their defence did they look like a real Premier side, they missed the finals and were just back to being the mediocre Dogs. When Geelong were smashing sides to all and sundry, THAT'S how a Premier team should look.

I was just watching this classic final five minutes of our victory over Port Adelaide in Round 14, 2003 (they were first on the ladder, we were 15th and we hadn't beaten them in the last four years) and they include the club song at the end;

There's no 'bom bom bom bom'!! When did this line actually start bobbing up in the club song? Anyone know?

I'm glad you raised this issue.

I think it was Cam Mooney.

I remember watching the song one day (on tele) and he stuck it in, with a bit of a grin, as there wasn't quite enough time.

...slowly the rest of the team caught on and made time for him, and now they're all doing it.

perhaps when he retired a bunch of them thought 'well now who will do the bom bom bom bom' and stepped up to the plate.

its that what theyre saying? i always thought we were just repeating 'ball' some more times- ' we're always on the ball ball ball ball'
It took until last Saturday, but this FINALLY got cleared up... at least for me! After our women skinned the Tigers (wish we kept them goalless!!!) I heard the club song clear as day.

We are Geelong, the greatest team of all
HEY!
We are Geelong, we're always on the ball
BALL BALL BALL BALL

So there you have it. Onya ladies!

It took until last Saturday, but this FINALLY got cleared up... at least for me! After our women skinned the Tigers (wish we kept them goalless!!!) I heard the club song clear as day.

We are Geelong, the greatest team of all
HEY!
We are Geelong, we're always on the ball
BALL BALL BALL BALL

So there you have it. Onya ladies!
A change like that only happens when you go on massive winning streaks and you look for ways to make the song more interesting. So it surely happened in 07-08. 44-6 in those two years (which is why the robbery of 08 flag and the exploiting of the rushed behind rule still hurts). To feel better 07-11. 104-20 Lots of time to add in flourishes on the song.
Geez we have been blessed by this team.

Bring back the 92 cat attack theme song.

its lyrics were terrible but it is still a superior song.
I just listened to it again

and you know what? I actually like the verses. The chorus needs an overhaul though. And get rid of the keyboard/synth and keep to the dueling electric guitars.

The only way to rock!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back