Pre Australian Grand Prix "sack the race, no one cares" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jon Faine is interviewing a councillor of the municipality (Port Phillip) that covers Albert Park Lake as I write. He's doing his best to be fair and balanced but he prefaced his interview by making the point that he remains dead against the Grand Prix.

The councillor is adamant that the Grand Prix needs to move from Albert Park Lake because it's a public park, has a negative effect on the local economy, etc, etc.

It's the same tired arguments we've heard for the last 16 years.

To be fair, Thomson has a point. Bernie's billions do pay for an extravagant lifestyle for his children and his alimony for his ex-wife. :p

He's trying to help out his State mates who, now that they're in opposition, need to oppose Red Ted. Further, I do believe that an election promise from Red Ted was to rein in the costs of the Grand Prix or let the contract expire. Apart from some huffing and puffing over the renewal of the contract, the current State Government has been suspiciously quiet over the whole deal. Louise Asher, the minister responsible for the Grand Prix, appears to be unavailable to be interviewed on ABC radio this morning.

Jon Faine has just decried the technological advancements of Formula One such as ABS brakes, carbon fibre, etc, etc, as being invented or developed by stakeholders other than Formula One manufacturers.

His true colours re-emerge.

Who cares what Bernie spends his money on? How is that anyone's business?

The point I suspect Kelvin Thomson is trying to make is that taxpayers subsidise the Australian Grand Prix, the Victorian Government pays a bucketload of cash to the rightsholder to stage the Grand Prix in Melbourne and that that money could be spent elsewhere for the benefit of taxpayers.

you didnt see this?
I didn't mean there hasn't been any, just that it hasn't been full-on like previous years.

Jon Faine is interviewing a councillor of the municipality (Port Phillip) that covers Albert Park Lake as I write. He's doing his best to be fair and balanced but he prefaced his interview by making the point that he remains dead against the Grand Prix.

The councillor is adamant that the Grand Prix needs to move from Albert Park Lake because it's a public park, has a negative effect on the local economy, etc, etc.

It's the same tired arguments we've heard for the last 16 years.
I listened to that the whole way, it was hilarious! When he was being "balanced" about it (begrudgingly of course) he mentioned that people complain about it because they just don't like motorsport. I've often had that impression.

To be fair, Thomson has a point. Bernie's billions do pay for an extravagant lifestyle for his children and his alimony for his ex-wife. :p

He's trying to help out his State mates who, now that they're in opposition, need to oppose Red Ted. Further, I do believe that an election promise from Red Ted was to rein in the costs of the Grand Prix or let the contract expire. Apart from some huffing and puffing over the renewal of the contract, the current State Government has been suspiciously quiet over the whole deal. Louise Asher, the minister responsible for the Grand Prix, appears to be unavailable to be interviewed on ABC radio this morning.
The politicians here are like clown fish. They're in government, they support the GP. They're in opposition, they're opposed to the gp.

Jon Faine has just decried the technological advancements of Formula One such as ABS brakes, carbon fibre, etc, etc, as being invented or developed by stakeholders other than Formula One manufacturers.

His true colours re-emerge.
I don't think he tries hard to hide it, though. I think he may've been right for the most part, though. The militaries are mainly responsible for those technologies. It wouldn't matter since, he'd just find another angle to knock F1/GP.

However, what was funny, you may not have heard this. When Faine was on with Red, just before Red's show finishes, he mentioned the what was going to be on the show, regarding the GP, as you can expect, he expressed a dissatisfaction with the GP.

Red mentioned that he was only saying what he was told to say about the GP at that meeting. Suggesting there was a meeting, agreeing to knock the GP at every opportunity. Red was only joking, there was no such meeting, of course. However, the joke was in reference to how the broadcasters on the ABC continually slam the GP and it's done in such a way that you can't not think there's an agenda there and they won't let up.

Also, his piss weak indicators, showing the race is in decline, were hilarious. Some lift out has dental advertising on the back. Big f****** deal! Qantas advertising flights to leave Melbourne? What! Are they supposed to advertise flights to Melbourne? There been no manufacturer prepared to supply cars for the celebrity race? Yeah, and? Celebrity races are not common, only the AGP anf Longbeach has/had them. What is the di******'s point?

Faine is back on his hobby horse again this morning, grilling Louise Asher over the money paid to Bernie under the contract.

Asher is blaming the previous government for the money the State has to pay to Bernie.

He's also raising the issue of the dentist taking out the full page ad in the print coverage of the race. WTF?

He was hilarious this morning. The lead up to the interview with Hugh Robertson, the GP was to be talked about and how relevant the AGP was overseas. Robertson spoke off the cuff, without agenda and Faine got hosed from every angle.

John firstly asked "Do you like motorsport?" Hugh replied "Yes...my father raced formula ford." Then John was asking about how much penetration GP has overseas. Hugh, speaking from a British pov, paraphrasing "Very much so, most of the teams are based in England. Hugh then said that whenever he thought of Melbourne he thought of it as great sporting city (which the GP would be the biggest contributor)

John was then on his way to link Ecclestone's tax status with the 60% unemployment of black, under 25 males in London. Hugh then suggested you could not link the two before Faine backtracked...fool!

This agenda 774ABC have of knocking the GP is ridiculous. Faine, Whateley and Stubbs all look like effin morons. Speaking of Stubbsy, he choose to use public airwaves to promote a queer film festival today. Apparently the GP is a waste of money?

He's also raising the issue of the dentist taking out the full page ad in the print coverage of the race. WTF?
You did not read my previous post?

314,000 for the weekend. Biggest crowd since 2005. 115,000 for race day which is also huge.

People who say that no one cares is trolling. Every 2nd person I met was from overseas, every other person was from interstate. The money generated from the bars and clubs this weekend would be incredible and would definitely cover the costs of hosting the grand prix. Also spoke to a Dutch bloke that's been to Monaco 5 times, Malaysia, China, Montreal, Spa, Monza, Britain Bahrain and many more and says that the Australian Grand Prix is far and away the best grand prix to go to. Said that the atmosphere cannot be beaten and that there's always something to do through all the programming on and off the track. I always thought people said it like they did with any other track but didn't know it's actually what they thought.

Also this is what Eddie Jordan said. :thumbsu:

"I don't know why this is but Australia has a habit of just producing these great races. It's my favourite venue and I love coming here. If they keep producing races like this, we'll be here forever."

314,000 for the weekend. Biggest crowd since 2005. 115,000 for race day which is also huge.
You're talking poo, aren't you? On friday some guy called in to the ABC and said that only 15,000 turned up on friday and that the claim of 100,000 that normally turn up for race day is actually a paltry 60,000! They have photos as well! What have you got? Some BS spin from the AGPC?

Also this is what Eddie Jordan said. :thumbsu:
I wouldn't use that as an argument, since Eddie has a big reputation for talking s***!

You're talking poo, aren't you? On friday some guy called in to the ABC and said that only 15,000 turned up on friday and that the claim of 100,000 that normally turn up for race day is actually a paltry 60,000! They have photos as well! What have you got? Some BS spin from the AGPC?

I wouldn't use that as an argument, since Eddie has a big reputation for talking s***!
The figures from the organisers and everyone involved in the GP are those figures, and all are saying biggest crowd since 2005.

Settle down princess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in Bangkok at the moment and found a bar today to watch the race. The joint was packed with European's who had come specially to watch the race, and most were backing up after a big night on the pi$$ watching the 6 nations rugby.

Anyway about 5 mins before the race the commentators (they were english) were praising up how great the Melbourne grand prix is and how good the city of Melbourne looked when they took the helicopter shot showing the lake with the city in the background with the cars on the warm-up lap. Must admit, those images looked amazing. This is exposure is priceless (well $50m)

I've been to around 10 Melbourne grand prix and today's looked like it had massive crowds. To say the GP has lost its interest value is crazy.

Tourism is a government revenue stream, the GP pulls many local and interstate visitors, would be madness to say $50m is a waste.

A mate of mine flies down for the GP from QLD every year with his wife. He says it's the best 4 days of his year. He reckons he spends 2-3k each trip

Simple Jack knows me too well, that's the second time he's done that. Perhaps, time for me to use another alias? ManWithNoName, you certainly need a lengthy stint in the shame corner. However, not for misinterpreting my post or the princess quip. But instead, for almost all of your justifications on the Schumacher thread!

James Allen tweeted today: "Sky's first F1 viewing figures: Race average was 874,000 viewers, peak of 1mill at end. 526,000 ave for entire show"

so 1million viewers at about 7:30am in Britain isn't to bad, I'm assuming it's just Britain. Dare say there'd be a few watching in Europe also.

I guess John Faine et al really don't like a picturesque sunny Melbourne being flooded into homes around the world.

Silly really isn't it, why would we want that :rolleyes:

TV ratings:
2 Aust FIA Formula One 1,399,000

Incredible numbers and the 2nd highest for the weekend and that doesn't even include channel ONE which usually has about 250k for the race as well. From memory there was only about 800k last year so that's a massive increase. Obviously helped by strong performances from Webber and Ricciardo and a cracking race.

How long before the protest groups come out and say that these figures have been boosted as well? :rolleyes:

Edit: 687,000 on 10 and 425,000 on ONE last year so it's doubled on the main channel. But hey apparently no one cares? :/

Whe the financial report was released in the middle of last year, I detected a change in attitude, regarding the race. People weren't complaining to talkback radio, especially the ABC, as intensely, even with the subtle encouragement of the broadcasters. Reading the threads that go along with online articles, there looked to be a higher proportion than normal of posters defending the race. It's been backed up by the, undisputed, improvement of crowd figures.

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if this change of tact by the wider Melbourne public has nothing to do 2 Aussies participating, all of a sudden F1/motor racing has become the "in" thing or no footy clashing or otherwise.

It wouldn't surprise me if the change of tact was more due to the fact, the wider Melbourne public, are sick and tired of the full-on whinging about the race. Think about it, sometimes, when someone complains about something for so long, even if you empathise with them initially, after a while, you'd wish they'd just stfu. Anybody dis/agree?

Faine is back on his hobby horse again this morning, grilling Louise Asher over the money paid to Bernie under the contract.

Asher is blaming the previous government for the money the State has to pay to Bernie.

Reading back through this thread and this Faine guy sounds like a real twit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back