Pre-Season 2015/16

Remove this Banner Ad

Id have him in our Team over any forward that we have at the moment that can fill the void as the second target.

That would be so unfair to Paddy. Wait till he gets some match practice and a little form. If he does ok this week he may play against WB. If he struggles he shouldn't even play that game. He certainly shouldn't play this week.

Genuine question here:

If Paddy is 95% ready to go this week but there is no VFL game next weekend (2 April) will we just bring him straight in to the senior AFL side v Dogs on April 2?

I don't see why not?
It's a long season I'm not sure what the rush is?

Sandy have a practice match this Sunday. I'm assuming Paddy will get a run in that, and assuming he goes well I'd be surprised if he wasn't back for round 2.

Cheers for that. That has been confirmed. Paddy will be playing in the VFL this weekend (and then hopefully in the AFL on April 2 v GWS).

Edit: Sorry Loyal Sainter - I missed you reporting this above.

Last edited:
View attachment 228149 Spud just tweeted this. :D

Looks like young JBT is in the backline boys these days. It looks like a KPB club. I was impressed with Coglan against North and at the jumper presentation I was really pleased joe baker Thomas seems to be in a completely different head space this year, I always try to have a chat with him and the past couple of times he seemed to be happy to be on an adventure and go with the flow. He's really got some focus this year on what he can do and how far he can go. He's talking of playing well enough in the VFL to win a senior chance. He's got some confidence up and I think he should play a completely different game in 2016.

Expecting a better, equal or worse first year then Sinclair?

Not saying birth certificates are the be all and end all.

But Jack Sinclair was 20y 2 months when he debuted.

Gresham will only be 18y 7 months when he debuts.

I think Gresh is going to have a good first year. At least equal to Sinclair's first year. And Gresham is 30 months younger.

I always try to have a chat with him and the past couple of times he seemed to be happy to be on an adventure and go with the flow. He's really got some focus this year on what he can do and how far he can go. He's talking of playing well enough in the VFL to win a senior chance. He's got some confidence up and I think he should play a completely different game in 2016.

I've only spoken to him a couple of times but noticed the exact same thing - almost like he never really expected to make the cut. One day I spoke to him and Holmes, long before Holmesy was called up, and spoke to them about their chances of playing that season - Holmes as optimisitc, JBT just said he was a long way off. Good to hear he's got some confidence, would love to see him make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's at least twice the player Sinclair was at the same age, a genuine star in the making.
He's up there with Petracca as a junior in terms of influence on a game.

For a side to rise back up the ladder even fairly quickly..and not take a decade or more to rebuild like Melbourne or Richmond, you need kids who come on far quicker than average. Im talking Selwood/Rioli/Fyfe/Wingard...who by game 50 are already guns.

We havent had one for probably 15 years..and that's hurt us a lot over the journey....but with this group we might have 3. Billings, Bruce....and Gresham. HG and Paddy however would want to take huge steps this year to fall into that category.

For a side to rise back up the ladder even fairly quickly..and not take a decade or more to rebuild like Melbourne or Richmond, you need kids who come on far quicker than average. Im talking Selwood/Rioli/Fyfe/Wingard...who by game 50 are already guns.

We havent had one for probably 15 years..and that's hurt us a lot over the journey....but with this group we might have 3. Billings, Bruce....and Gresham. HG and Paddy however would want to take huge steps this year to fall into that category.

I think you can add Lonie to that list - he has surprised many and is a bargain at pick 41!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back