Prediction Predict 2015 for these players in one word...

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a bit of fun.

Clark ---------- luckless
Stanley ---------- tantalising
Blease --------- Tenace
Smedts --------- friendless
Kelly --------- resurgence
Mackie --------- forgiven
Blicavs --------- tapering
Cockatoo --------- glimpses
McIntosh -------- Elastoplast

Clark ---------- potential
Stanley ---------- dividing
Blease --------- dynamo
Smedts --------- consistency
Kelly --------- vindicated
Mackie --------- AA
Blicavs --------- development
Cockatoo --------- Adrenalin
McIntosh --------Commentating.

GO Catters

Clark................... Inspired
Stanley................ Scapegoat
Blease................. Hopeful
Smedts................ Breakout
Kelly.................... Midfield (or VFL)
Mackie................. Motivation?
Blicavs................. Defence
Cockatoo.............. Excited
McIntosh............... Important

Clearly Closest to the Pin so far, Slugger, but......

Clark................... Inspired
Stanley................ Scapegoat
Blease................. Hopeful
Smedts................ Breakout
Kelly.................... TooOldTooSlowTooGood
Mackie................. Motivation?
Blicavs................. Defence
Cockatoo.............. Excited
McIntosh............... Important

Trying where possible to use popular footy terms:

Clark ---------- Imposing
Stanley ---------- Versatile
Blease --------- Speedy
Smedts --------- Evasive
Kelly --------- Finished
Mackie --------- Declining
Blicavs --------- Athletic
Cockatoo --------- Promising
McIntosh -------- Luckless

Clearly Closest to the Pin so far, Slugger, but......

Yeah, I'm not one that buys into the idea that Kelly is finished. As has been mentioned plenty of times on these boards, he actually had quite a good season up until the last month or so.

I do agree with the general consensus that Kelly should be moved out of the backline for two reasons - he doesn't seem particularly good at actually negating opposition forwards; and to start the transition. It's no secret that the backline is old, so we need to start injecting some youth, especially since Bews showed that he is capable of assuming the role of small defender.

I don't think Kelly would make a great forward, plus we have plenty of other options up there, so that just leaves the midfield or VFL (or ruck, I guess...). I really think this would be a win-win situation in that Bews will be better at stopping the opposition's small forwards (who have given us plenty of trouble over the last few years) than Kelly is, and Kelly will add plenty of hardness, experience and tackling pressure in the midfield, which was sorely missed last season.

I guess the only thing that would determine whether Kelly plays midfield in the seniors or VFL is his fitness and how his body holds up. From all reports he is having a great preseason (I know, I know - who isn't?), so I am backing him in to have a good year in the middle as either a clearance machine or tagger to free Guthrie up.

Bloody hell, this post is way longer than I intended it to be!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm not one that buys into the idea that Kelly is finished. As has been mentioned plenty of times on these boards, he actually had quite a good season up until the last month or so.

I do agree with the general consensus that Kelly should be moved out of the backline for two reasons - he doesn't seem particularly good at actually negating opposition forwards; and to start the transition. It's no secret that the backline is old, so we need to start injecting some youth, especially since Bews showed that he is capable of assuming the role of small defender.

I don't think Kelly would make a great forward, plus we have plenty of other options up there, so that just leaves the midfield or VFL (or ruck, I guess...). I really think this would be a win-win situation in that Bews will be better at stopping the opposition's small forwards (who have given us plenty of trouble over the last few years) than Kelly is, and Kelly will add plenty of hardness, experience and tackling pressure in the midfield, which was sorely missed last season.

I guess the only thing that would determine whether Kelly plays midfield in the seniors or VFL is his fitness and how his body holds up. From all reports he is having a great preseason (I know, I know - who isn't?), so I am backing him in to have a good year in the middle as either a clearance machine or tagger to free Guthrie up.

Bloody hell, this post is way longer than I intended it to be!

Excellent post mate. I'm compiling a list of those who have written him off, so far Goggin Our Best and Partridge head it up and I'll trot it out when he has (another) good year, of course if he happens to fall over you won't hear another word about it. ;)

Clark - Potent.
Stanley - Versatile.
Blease - Unknown.
Smedts - In trouble. (Yeah I know but couldn't think of just one word)
Kelly - Midfielder.
Mackie - Reliable.
Blicavs - ???
Cockatoo - VFL.
McIntosh - Important.

I don't think Kelly would make a great forward..
Apologies for cherry picking a tiny amount of your post but I found this interesting.

Not so much that I disagree but rather as a call out to see if I'm losing my mind.

Early on, I seem to recall Kelly played some games off half-forward (or perhaps he just drifted forward from the midfield) but he appeared to be a guy who actually seemed to have a sense of when and where to lead.

If so, perhaps he wouldn't be as bad an option up forward as many might think.

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure I'm right on this count so I can't really argue the point but his tackling in the forward line could be useful and if he does have the "feel" to know when to lead he could be useful enough.

A bit of a longshot I know but I keep having a flashback (no, not due to the acid) of him doing it against Sydney up in Sydney in the early(ish) 2000s.

Early on, I seem to recall Kelly played some games off half-forward (or perhaps he just drifted forward from the midfield) but he appeared to be a guy who actually seemed to have a sense of when and where to lead.

If so, perhaps he wouldn't be as bad an option up forward as many might think.

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure I'm right on this count so I can't really argue the point but his tackling in the forward line could be useful and if he does have the "feel" to know when to lead he could be useful enough.

I think he did in his early days, so in itself, and under normal circumstances, it wouldn't be the worst idea.

To me though, there are two big drawbacks to it now. One is that he's never been a goalkicker, and the most goals he has ever kicked in a season was 13 way back in 2005. The other big impediment is Bartel; we've already got one former midfielder stationed in the forward line, I'd doubt very much we can have two. Especially as neither are fast, and alongside Hawkins and (probably) Clark, we'd simply be too slow at ground level.

Clark ---------- Resurgent
Stanley ---------- Surprising
Blease --------- Unsighted
Smedts --------- Repugnant
Kelly --------- Respected
Mackie --------- Skinny
Blicavs --------- Underrated
Cockatoo --------- Bargain
McIntosh -------- Broken

I think he did in his early days, so in itself, and under normal circumstances, it wouldn't be the worst idea.

To me though, there are two big drawbacks to it now. One is that he's never been a goalkicker, and the most goals he has ever kicked in a season was 13 way back in 2005. The other big impediment is Bartel; we've already got one former midfielder stationed in the forward line, I'd doubt very much we can have two. Especially as neither are fast, and alongside Hawkins and (probably) Clark, we'd simply be too slow at ground level.

Yeah, I vaguely remember Kelly playing at half forward early on The Pivotonian, but my thoughts on this are pretty much exactly the same as Partridge's above.

Clark ---------- intermittent
Stanley ---------- exciting
Blease --------- seconds
Smedts --------- gone
Kelly --------- serviceable
Mackie --------- solid
Blicavs --------- surprising
Cockatoo --------- excels
McIntosh -------- injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back