Predicted number 1 pick reportedly tells West Coast he doesn't want to play for them

Should the #1 pick be required to move interstate if the bottom team isn't from his home state?

• Yes

Votes: 226 86.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 13.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean a bloke that averages around 19 touches in the vfl

Compared to JHF who was best on in a SANFL prelim in his draft year

Harley hype is over the top. He’s the standout but the hype is laughable
They always hype #1 picks up, no doubt about that, but Cal Twomey said he'd rate Harley Reid's junior career over JHF and they different players to, Reid doesn't seem like he will be a pure midfielder like JHF.

Take it from me.... I knew JHF was gonna be good. As far back as half way into the season, North were gonna get him.

And yes I follow South Adelaide in the SANFL.

They always hype #1 picks up, no doubt about that, but Cal Twomey said he'd rate Harley Reid's junior career over JHF and they different players to, Reid doesn't seem like he will be a pure midfielder like JHF.
I cant comment on Harley Reid.

I always knew JHF was always gonna be a decent player. I follow south Adelaide panthers in the SANFL and went to most of south games in Noarlunga oval that year. Not to mention all 3 of Souths Finals in Adelaide oval.

Reminded me of Jason Akermanis. Had pace. Could play inside or outside mid. can kick well with either foot.

Yep, the inside word is that he’s overrated. Buyer beware. Probably should go at around pick 4…..

I cant comment on Harley Reid.

I always knew JHF was always gonna be a decent player. I follow south Adelaide panthers in the SANFL and went to most of south games in Noarlunga oval that year. Not to mention all 3 of Souths Finals in Adelaide oval.

Reminded me of Jason Akermanis. Had pace. Could play inside or outside mid. can kick well with either foot.
JHF was always gonna be a gun and his junior career was imo better than Harley’s

What JHF did in the SANFL final series is better than any junior I’ve ever seen playing senior footy as an 18 year old

Agree

But that doesn’t change the fact that his junior career was better
Cal Twomey said who watches every draft closely & knows more about us than it probably, I never followed JHF junior career so I can't comment on that. but him getting brownlow votes with 13 disposal game no goals and couple of turnovers tells me he is very overhyped.

Just look at Jed Walter, for instance. Many recruiters have him on par, if not ahead, of Reid but most people who don't follow the draft would never have heard of him.
Very much a situation of out of sight, out of mind for Walter. He played just one U18 National Championships game in Victoria this year and hasn't been seen since. He could have lined up for the Suns' VFL team or his local QAFL team in July/August but he chose to end his season instead. Meanwhile Reid got plenty of exposure all year playing for Bendigo in the CTL, Essendon's VFL side and multiple National Championships games in Victoria for the Vic Country team. I tend to agree with recruiters that Walter is actually the better player and Reid has just maintained his status as the presumptive number 1 pick because he's received more exposure living in Victoria. I'd go as far as to say if Walter was based in Victoria then he'd be getting talked about like he's the next Wayne Carey after two very dominant U18 campaigns where he was named the CHF AA in both years and he led the Allies to their first ever U18 National Championship win this year. That's an extremely rare feat, particularly for a junior based in a northern state.

Not half as fun as the utter salt oozing from you in every thread that has anything to do with HR going to WC...😂😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what his Victorian. He isnt from Melbourne. His from Bendigo. Get out of that city bubble you're living in. Victoria isn't just that 40km CBD bubble. Think it's time you started traveling and seeing country Victoria. It's a lot bigger state then you think.

Bendigo is four hours away from Melbourne.

Regardless Reid playing for any AFL including any Victorian AFL side has to move and relocate. It's exactly no different for him that's why he has already come out and said he will play anywhere and not phased by it. How dumb do you have to be to not understand that.
Pencil him in for a move to Geelong in that case. 'missing the country life'

Get out of your home state, go and live it up by the beach with better weather and a community that will worship you, young man! Your mummy can come visit every now and then, don't worry.
If someone asked me what my preference was, I'd probably prefer to stay in VIC rather than going to Perth. Doesn't mean I wouldn't do it, but everyone has there own preference.

There'd be a decent chunk of people that would have the same preference, some that wouldn't care at all, and some that would have the preference to get out of their home state.

It's a bit naive when people tongue in cheek or not play the mummy's boy card or that it's somehow mentally weaker to have a preference to stay in your home state. There's an infinite number of reasons someone might prefer that from family to friends to commercial opportunities to education, to lifestyle to relationships, to 20 other reasons...

Very much a situation of out of sight, out of mind for Walter. He played just one U18 National Championships game in Victoria this year and hasn't been seen since. He could have lined up for the Suns' VFL team or his local QAFL team in July/August but he chose to end his season instead. Meanwhile Reid got plenty of exposure all year playing for Bendigo in the CTL, Essendon's VFL side and multiple National Championships games in Victoria for the Vic Country team. I tend to agree with recruiters that Walter is actually the better player and Reid has just maintained his status as the presumptive number 1 pick because he's received more exposure living in Victoria. I'd go as far as to say if Walter was based in Victoria then he'd be getting talked about like he's the next Wayne Carey after two very dominant U18 campaigns where he was named the CHF AA in both years and he led the Allies to their first ever U18 National Championship win this year. That's an extremely rare feat, particularly for a junior based in a northern state.

Walter has excellent hands. And I really do mean excellent! He is one of the best young talents I have seen. IMO, he is the one who in 5 years time we will be talking about easily as the best of this years draft. He simply needs the right development at club level in his first 5 years to mould him into an AFL elite tall.

Walter has excellent hands. And I really do mean excellent! He is one of the best young talents I have seen. IMO, he is the one who in 5 years time we will be talking about easily as the best of this years draft. He simply needs the right development at club level in his first 5 years to mould him into an AFL elite tall.
You'd think Hardwick would have the knowhow/contacts to make sure he's developed correctly. I've heard many onlookers say he's going to be a taller version of Charlie Curnow and if that's even half true then it's going to be a lot of fun watching him for the next 10-15 years. I've personally never seen a tall run as hard as Walter does on defence and give so many second/third efforts without the ball. It's truly remarkable to watch.

Harley Reid
Cal Twomey hypes every player every year.
That's his job. Sell hype. Sell interest. Generate advertising revenue.

Here is what he wrote about Cameron Rayner

Every chance Reid has a career like Cam Rayner. If he's lucky

It's laughable to think he's going to walk into the AFL and start breaking tackles. He won't.
The issue with Rayner, he never had a good engine, has spurts of good quarters, people said he was terrible runner in the juniors even though went number 1, they said that was his biggest weakness coming into the AFL that he would need to work on "clubs won't be concerned about it because it can be improved with pre-seasons" to me the fact that he hasn't become a full-fledged midfielder by now probably says his poor endurance can't fixed & it's not like his statistics are amazing as a forward either...

I fully believe the reason Rayner went number #1 was because of Dustin Martin's year in 2017 don't ask me why but he was heavily compared draft year, I think the experts were literally looking for any little similarity that year for a player to be called the next "Dusty."
In my opinion he doesn't even move or play close to the way Martin plays.

To be fair with Harley Reid, I don't think he moves as smooth as Martin does, but I do see more similarities in his game.
To me he probably has a higher ratio of handball to kick than Martin does. which could make him a very dangerous stoppage player.

Not sure how good Harley's endurance running, I have been trying to find out info can't find out nothing about but haven't heard anyone says it's terrible so that's a good sign.

Back