Review Preliminary Final, 2022 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So a dedicated servant of the club was denied the right to announce his retirement and had to just disappear.

That's not right.

And why? So he doesn't distract from the prelim? That worked out well didn't it.

Other clubs celebrate players with careers as great at Mitchs. Embarrassed that our club wants him to simply fade away.

I think we could celebrate Mitch’s great service to the lions as much as one whole day after our finals campaign ended, as opposed to 5 minutes after when his team mates are literally walking off the field.

Always thought winning tonight was a long shot. Still grateful for the awesome win I got to see live with my old man last week. Credit to the Cats, just a class above all night. They've been the best team all season and rightfully take their place in the grand final. Tonight for me was entirely on the midfield group, just didn't want it as much and didn't work as hard as the Cats. Ashcroft and hopefully Dunkley will be a much needed shot in the arm for our unit in there.

We go again in 2023, go lions.

Bit of an overreaction surely? Other clubs celebrate players when the season is over AND they are not going to another club… Mitch hasn’t said he is retiring…

I took the statement 'my last at the Gabba' to mean his last game at the Gabba, which means his last AFL game.

Good time to farewell a dedicated servant in front of a happy home crowd.

A bit delusional to say we would beat the Pies when they should've beaten Geelong , thrashed Freo and we couldn't go at all with Geelong from quarter time.

I mean I don't see what that could possibly be based on.

The difference is that we played like crap tonight, simple as that. Another stinker of an effort from our midfield, just like in round 23.

20% of our disposals were turnovers, that is completely indefensible. Geelong’s pressure wasn’t even that high, it was a series of unforced errors the entire game.

This year we learned the lessons we needed to learn to beat the Tigers and the Demons.

Tonight they saw what level they needed to play (and coach) at to beat the Cats.

If we don't take the next step we will always be hoping the cards fall our way (which they might) but they need to be determined to take the competition by the scruff of the neck and own it ... and that will require an internal ruthlessness and uncompromising dedication to team excellence sadly lacking at this point.

Ongoing Question: Will what we are playing now have beaten Geelong last year in the Prelim?

A If not yes then we must work smarter/harder etc.

We have most of the cattle but we need to play it to win it.

I took the statement 'my last at the Gabba' to mean his last game at the Gabba, which means his last AFL game.

Everywhere else he has said that statement he has followed it with “in a lions guernsey”
Once again… a player that is open to playing on at another club typically don’t get a send off. Did we offer one to Mcstay?

There have been reports about interest elsewhere - I’m not sure he is retiring.

I get Mitch is your guy and I’ve loved what he’s done for us but I think posting this tonight lacks some class, even if he is totally right on substance.

I don’t have an issue with 95% of cats players, really only Jeremy Cameron that I’ll be sad about having a premiership medal.
Its like.. Cameron, Selwood, Hawkins and Danger. Makes it so much worse they're undeniably a great team. The thought of seeing those 4 holding the cup... but still better than seeing the Pies hold it. ;)

Don't get the fuss over Robbo ,we're still playing in a finals series, his timing tonight is a bit off , just wait a day or two and we can celebrate his career if it's over.

One thing I just didn't get was why we bombed it in early in the game when they had an extra back. Just didn't make sense at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its like.. Cameron, Selwood, Hawkins and Danger. Makes it so much worse they're undeniably a great team. The thought of seeing those 4 holding the cup... but still better than seeing the Pies hold it. ;)
Hawk and Selwood I’m meh on - yeah they have their ways of playing for frees but they’ve been so bloody good for so long. Danger too I suppose.

Cameron made Harris’ brain bleed so feel that’s a very reasonable basis on which to dislike him.

See this is exactly why what Mitch has done is a bit unprofessional as it is confusing people. He hasn't said he is retiring, yet that is what the majority of people are going to think. Players who aren't retiring don't generally get to do big "I'm leaving" announcement - name one.
Luke power got carried out after his final game as a lion at the Gabba then went to GWS the next year

There have been reports about interest elsewhere - I’m not sure he is retiring.

I get Mitch is your guy and I’ve loved what he’s done for us but I think posting this tonight lacks some class, even if he is totally right on substance.

Fair enough.

Figure it's a pretty emotional time and he's a pretty emotional kind of guy. I can understand him wanting to have had a farewell and feeling pretty low.

You really have to hand it to whoever's in charge of fitness and conditioning at the Cats. Some of their older guys are still incredibly strong players.

What's the secret ?

Bit flat being there tonight, but I reckon the last 2 wins have blinded us to where we are at.
Would anyone have been happy with a prelim flogging at the start of the season?
We were supposed to challenge for the flag this year…flat

You really have to hand it to whoever's in charge of fitness and conditioning at the Cats. Some of their older guys are still incredibly strong players.

What's the secret ?

It is nothing short of a miracle that they have so many guys over 30 (and especially in that 32-34 bracket) who are all still in great touch and injury free.

Swans > daylight > Cats > even more daylight > Pies

Nah I’d definitely rather a Pies win over the cats. First and foremost because the cats are filled with the players I despise most in the league.

But for the pies… think about how much of a final F*ck you it would be to Nathan Buckley that they go from 17th to Premiers the second he leaves the club - and under a triple premiership lions player at that.

“Leaving Brisbane to win Premierships” indeed. You can’t write shit better than that.

Very disappointed he didn't get the send off he deserved. Even if he was down on performance this year, Robbo has been an absolutely class person to have at the club and that should have been recognised. All the best to you Robbo, you'll always be a Lion to us.
Absolutely class people don’t do shit like this - a pathetic and immature act by Robbo that he will regret in life…

I don’t have an issue with 95% of cats players, really only Jeremy Cameron that I’ll be sad about having a premiership medal.

Cameron, Dangerflog, Duckwood (I know he’s already got a couple but still), Tyson “check out how fast I can drive while drunk” Stengle… The list goes on.

It is nothing short of a miracle that they have so many guys over 30 (and especially in that 32-34 bracket) who are all still in great touch and injury free.
I expected them to be found out in this finals series under intense speed and pressure from younger teams.

I suppose next week will tell the tale.

Disgraceful effort. Got chopped to pieces. They have recruited so damn well. A very balanced list full of big buggers who go hard. Not many weaknesses for their blokes either. Amazing game plan just destroyed us with the switch and overlap.

On a positive... Mathieson was easily our best performed on a output vs TOG. Bloke played 30 per cent of game time and won 10 contested positions (ranks third for game) and 6 clearances (ranks equal second for game) yet we carry so many others who just don't perform when pressure mounts.

Overall outside of Matho I think it was a pathetic performance.

Back