Review Preliminary Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

381169680_18389437399015741_4791534160470337664_n.jpg
I have the utmost admiration and respect for Chris Fagan . After all he has gone through recently he can hold his head high We will always love him at Hawthorn and everywhere he has worked All Victorians aside from Magpie supporters wiil be hoping like hell that you win the Granny

I had a Carlton lass screeching that they were the better team and it's only because we have every second game at home. I tried pointing out the amount of 'away' games they could get a taxi to, but apparently I was the f*head and they were the better team 😂

She thought they were the better team?? Then she was seriously delusional since the blues only got as far as they did bcos their opposition couldn't kick straight NOT bcos they were so skilful 🤣

Watched the offsiders show on abc catchup, great to see 2002-2003 premiership coach Malthouse still bitter about a Sav Rocca goal that wasnt in 02.

Of course he tipped Collingwood citing it being their home ground, and their ability to win close games, i was thinking who says they will get close.. 🙂

My next thought was i see them as an incredibly well drilled team, but man for man in my incredibly biased opinion i reckon individually our players are better nearly all over the ground.

For instance have they got a forward that we'd drop one of ours to play?

I rather Oscar than either Cameron or Cox although concede maybe not a lot in that.

DeGoey, Pendles and Naicos of course get in, but in a show of my deep bias I reckon Jack Payne can become a better player than their captain and wouldnt swap him for Harris.

Obviously their 6 best players would be better than those outside our top 8, but the point im making is that i reckon we have them for raw ability.

Hopefully i wont be embarrassed to have typed this on Sunday.

Flew up from Melbourne with my best mate and our partners. What an experience.

Takeaways:
1. Watched the game live and just watched the replay. Those first 3 Carlton goals resulted from soft and/or incorrect calls. The Vic bias was on for all to see but strangely these dubious infringements (including thr 50m penalty) were not replayed for viewers. It actually made me sad how blatant this bias was.

2. Dunkely is always father of Cripps. Yes.

3. Back 6 huge including Dizzy.

4. I wanna boof Kiddy Coleman

5. Sorry, but the Brisbane based crowd were a bit underwhelming. They let the Carlton flogs drown us out particularly in the first quarter. Melbourne based Lions are definitely more passionate and will bring more voice to the GF.

6. How good was that

The Lions crowd "underwhelming"??

Don't think so. I was there so I know what I'm talking about. And am fed up with this 'vIc fAnS are bEtTeR vs Brisbane fans' crap.

Geeze, Joe Daniher has been crucified in the past for flops less bad than what McKay was pulling out of the bag last night. Some of the Carlton play acting to try to get 50m penalties would have been comedic if I didn't keep getting the feeling Foot was gonna start getting reeled in hook, line and sinker.

I've been worried that Oscar's qualities as a ruck wouldn't necessarily translate to being pivotal in finals - because he doesn't have that mean edge to go with his size. He did great last night playing his game.

Kiddy Coleman - how bloody powerful is he?Especially through his core with what you wouldn't consider a stereotypically athletic appearance. You hear no end about how powerful Quaynor is for his size, week in, week out but he looks densely muscled. Kiddy barely even looks like a professional athlete and easily skittles blokes like Cripps who has 10cm+ and 15kg on him.

Harris's temperament has regressed back to what it was from before his angry old man phase and it's so much more calming for the rest of the backs when they don't have to worry about being eviscerated by him for a mistake. Seems much healthier mentally and imo provides the leadership that he had been earmarked to provide for a long time.

Lester's leadership seems telepathic. He seems to point with his brain and not his hands and others respond.

Some of the WWE spear style shoulder hits into midsections that we deliver when sticking tackles are glorious - Dev & Cam!

From a slow defence last year to having McKenna & Willmott able to do those 80m plays had just brought balance to the side.

We just have so much versatility and ability to dynamically change our forward threats and the discipline to modify the attacking plan situationally. Just when you're getting bored of the nothing kicks down the line to a contest immediately coming straight back we have a switch to the opposite wing and then an open diagonal into the corridor.

We got our inevitable inaccurate goal kicking game out of the way with no damage!

I could go on and on but I'm sure my memory is a bit Bundy ginger beer spotty - so I will reassess my thoughts after the Japanese GP is over and I watch the replay.

Two tackles that i recall distinctly from Cam. It's exactly how I've wanted to see him attack the man since forever. I don't wish to see him tackle an opponent in any other way ever again.
Upon re-viewing the second was a bump on Holland. The first was the Cerra tackle, but the second I was thinking of was the bump in the 4th on Holland. It wasn't a completed tackle and couldn't be because Holland shat himself and dropped the ball. But still, a lovely and heartwarming moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone bookmark this post: Rayner is going to well and truly explode in the GF. Has been the master of the 'almost' this year, but cometh the hour, cometh the man. He is ready.

Jobe is that you?

Back