Roast Preliminary Final Umpiring Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

meh I was there I think it was just shit both ways. Umpiring in general needs a look at, didn't win or lose you the game. IF anything Eagles were crucified by razor in one quarter down my end, couldn't believe the no calls. But yeah anyway both ways, horrible.

I lost it with the Darling free kick...Watched the game with a few mates and 10 minutes after the free had been paid, I was still asking them if they had any clue what the free was for

I usually don't like to blame the umps, but tonight's game was so horrendously umpired, I feel it's warranted. I can cope line-ball decision that could maybe be called a free, but the free kicks paid to Darling and Shuey were a joke

Should also be no excuses for not calling Jacobs' trip because he was pinged for holding the ball straight after, wasn't like the ump couldn't see him get tripped

Do I think we would've won had the correct decisions been made each time? Porbably not. WC were the better side and we weren't good enough in front of goal

Meh it wasn't that bad, so we got a couple of decisions that were kinda there but soft... But geez get perspective, the hold to Darling was paid with Lecras in the clear about to kick it from only a few metres further out, and then there's the obvious jumper drag down not paid to Kennedy in the goal square... Umpiring decisions clearly evened out, it's just that one team lost and needs excuses, the other wins and gets over it, and neutrals get led with the media hyperbole, same as every week.

Congrats on a great season. You'll be hitting the finals from higher than 8th next year for sure.
Hey Dickface,

Hard to kick a goal when you have been tackled and drop the ball.

Do you West Coast flogs even watch the game? ****ing morons in the crowd booing the umpires that were gifting them the game, shows the intelligence of your average West Coast Supporter.

I hope Hawthorn win with a kick after the siren after Stevic makes the biggest howler of all time.

Then all of you West Coast bellends can learn what's it's like to get bent over by umpires.

Not sure why a tosser such as yourself would come onto our board and dribble rubbish about the umpiring not being bad? 99% of the football following world were appalled by the standard of umpiring tonight and the other 1% are inbred West Coast supporters!

Do any of you even know what happened with the Darling free kick or are you just assuming seeing as you didn't see it? Being at the game, directly above the incident, it was clear as day he was being held, just like the rest of the night, only it was called then. The Shuey one was there as well, watch the replay, Dal Santo's torso made clear contact with Shuey's head, it doesn't matter if you think that's soft, that's the rules.

Do any of you even know what happened with the Darling free kick or are you just assuming seeing as you didn't see it? Being at the game, directly above the incident, it was clear as day he was being held, just like the rest of the night, only it was called then. The Shuey one was there as well, watch the replay, Dal Santo's torso made clear contact with Shuey's head, it doesn't matter if you think that's soft, that's the rules.
Hey ****head,

You don't even know the rules of the game. If the player with the ball causes the contact it's play on, Dal Santo was actually trying to avoid the ducking piece of shit but he led his head into his torso.

As for the Darling free kick, the whistle would be blown every 10 seconds if that's your defintinition of holding. You can actually make contact with your opponent.

Let's hope West Coast get the umpiring reaming you deserve next week and you can all go choke on a big fat one!

Now **** off to your own board and go goo all over yourselves to pictures of Razor and Margetts.

****ing morons thinking tonight's game was fairly umpired.

Hey ****head,

You don't even know the rules of the game. If the player with the ball causes the contact it's play on, Dal Santo was actually trying to avoid the ducking piece of shit but he led his head into his torso.

As for the Darling free kick, the whistle would be blown every 10 seconds if that's your defintinition of holding. You can actually make contact with your opponent.

Let's hope West Coast get the umpiring reaming you deserve next week and you can all go choke on a big fat one!

Now **** off to your own board and go goo all over yourselves to pictures of Razor and Margetts.

******* morons thinking tonight's game was fairly umpired.
Calm down mate, no need to name call, you're just making a c*** of yourself.

I do know the rules of the game mate, you're just trying to bend them to suit your little narrative. He may have been trying to avoid Shuey, but he was the one who ran into Shuey's line and made contact with his head, just finished watching the replay so I actually know what I'm talking about, not just some vague memory during a drunken stupor like yourself.

Yes, you're right you can make contact with your opponent, but you can't hold the jumper, which is what happened, but I guess because Cameron Ling who was 150 metres away from the incident on the boundary, said it was a bad call, that means it was right? The only vision you got was a far camera shot from centre wing, that only captured half of the incident, but somehow you're the expert? Mate, I was directly in line with the Darling incident, in the 2nd tier looking down on it as it happened, his jumper was being held end of story, no matter what you or anyone else who had a shoddy camera view from 150 metres away thinks.

If anybody deserves an umpire reaming next weekend is Hawthorn, they were genuinely gifted goals. End of the day, if you don't want to look at it rationally, and pretend like those 2 decisions weren't there, that's fine, just consider it karma for the Harvery incident in round 10, that actually may have cost us the game, your lot were never going to win tonight. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i think maybe the afl wanted the eagles in the grand final because they wanted more interstaters to watch the game.

But on Friday night it was Freo at home who copped the crap decisions.

The issue is the same either way. Parochial crowds influence umpiring, sometimes in their favour and sometimes against. You can get umpires getting into a contrarian frame of mind, so keen to show that they're not influenced by the crowd that they start punishing the home team as a result. But mostly parochial crowds pressure umpires into favouring their team.

As a younger bloke I referree'd basketball for a number of years and I can recall clearly how reffing in front of a noisy crowd ripping into me elevated the stress levels and made my decision making go to crap. It's a bloody hard thing to overcome, so I have some sympathy for the umps as their working conditions are insanely challenging, but at the same time their our "elite" body of umps and they need to be up to the task.

It's this ability to be influenced that needs to be addressed. It's human nature to be affected by the baying mob, but we need umpires who are trained and developed to remain frosty at all times. It ain't happening.

I feel let down as a person who loves this game and a person who loves the North Melbourne football club. I am not an umpire basher and will call it when we are not good enough, but I just feel for whatever reasons or agendas people might have we were not given an opportunity to go out and win that game last night.

we still would have lost. Ben Browns in ability to hold a mark was the main reason we lost. FACT. He is a VFL player. at best.

Ben Brown is quality, just needs the experience. As BS said in the presser " he knows" when asked about his poor game. He will bounce back from this a far better player !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Through all the shit you cop on the Brad thread I normally really like your posting Bill but this is crap.

They turned the game. They MAY still of won but they cost is any chance of making a Grand Final. This is not round 2 it a ******* prelim.

This was 94 prelim bad. The only thing stopping me going mental is knowing we won the flag the year after that disgrace.
We lost 95 as well.

I feel let down as a person who loves this game and a person who loves the North Melbourne football club. I am not an umpire basher and will call it when we are not good enough, but I just feel for whatever reasons or agendas people might have we were not given an opportunity to go out and win that game last night.
You seriously think you should of won that game ? North we're just outclassed in the end and Eagle's had more run..But they did show some real spirit and to come from 8th into a prelim was a gallant effort they had a real crack should be proud not blaming the umpires just because the biased VIC commentators we're pointing out Norths bad decisions not the Eagle's

The Waite mark was paid against Goldy for the Sheppard. He was actually pushed square in the back into the contest and barely touched the eagle (Sinclair?) ... But that's who it was paid against.

The umps had a shocker, just as the did Friday night. Prelims always seem to bring out the worst in the umps...I'm still recovering from '94! :)

I like most North supporters on here know that the better team won in the end.

But, Nobody can tell me that the umps didn't have an impact on the game.

Look at the score and the time that the three worst free's in my eye's were given.
Shueys, Darlings and Jacobs trip.
All were at crucial times and killed any momentum we had and sucked the life out of our players

You seriously think you should of won that game ? North we're just outclassed in the end and Eagle's had more run..But they did show some real spirit and to come from 8th into a prelim was a gallant effort they had a real crack should be proud not blaming the umpires just because the biased VIC commentators we're pointing out Norths bad decisions not the Eagle's
Commentators bias towards North... That'll be the day...

Sent from my iPhone using two cups and a long piece of string

Watched the under 20 rugby league game eagles and the cowboys.Penalty awarded to Cowboys and then captain review was called and penalty over turned happened again fw minutes later.Seems to me a good idea to get rid of howlers like last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back