AFLW Preliminary Finals - 2023 AFLW season

Who are the winners this weekend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm a 4-point PF win at home, echoes of 2021?? Does that mean history will repeat next week by BL beating Adel, or by BL winning an interstate GF...

Could also be history repeating re Davidson, who missed the H&A game vs NM earlier in the season.

What the hell was that last 2 mins of umpiring. Counted no less than 6 frees that weren't given to the Cats. And then the one they did get at the death a Brisbane player is just allowed to boot it away in celebration? Are the rules different in AFLW are they not allowed to attempt the unlikely albeit closer due to the infringement? Strange but none of them seem to be complaining I guess.

Have you watched any aflw matches this season? Umpiring has been diabolical. But it is what it is.

I was also reminded of Chelsea Biddell in R8 during another visiting team's close loss vs Brisbane. A minute or so left, strangely kicked the D50 exit on the outer side to an outnumbered teammate, Lions able to lock it down from there.

Carbon copy of Gunjaca's clearing kick, doomed the Cats' hopes in the final 90 seconds.

The "Big 3" is now the "Big 5". Geelong have been very good this finals series and were a little unlucky tonight after defeating the Dees last week. There is a lot to build on in the off season and should go into next season thinking they are good enough to make to a Prelim at least next season.

As for the Lions, despite losing a few important players during the off season they have managed to make it to another GF. Starcevich has built an amazing team in Brisbane, and they keep finding players who just slot into the team without missing a beat. He has to be the best coach in the women's game.

Last edited:
Have you watched any aflw matches this season? Umpiring has been diabolical. But it is what it is.
Normally it's the complete opposite though.

Normally it's blow everything, even when it's not there.

That though was don't blow anything when it was obviously there.

Normally it's the complete opposite though.

Normally it's blow everything, even when it's not there.

That though was don't blow anything when it was obviously there.

They quite clearly put the whistle away for both teams in the last 10min.

Yeah 2 to 3 games a week so I'm familiar with the standard but this seemed a few notches below that. Seemed to be one of those 'don't blow frees in the last 5 mins of a final' that the mens game has but even they have a threshold which tonight's game seemed to lack entirely. It was a bit next level.

Cats aren't getting any closer to a GF without some Scheerious introspection. Acknowledge the courageous effort to play tonight, but she turns 25 next season which is when the trajectory ought to really take off.

Consistent high disposals and frequent goal-kicker at low speed a la Phillips and Garner should be the aim, but her fitness doesn't even hint at such an aspiration. The idea of Geelong getting Alyce Parker to add that flexibility instead is about as fanciful as the idea of a so-called Big 5 (or Big 3, for that matter).

Smoked Hickorie had better cram for next week's test. Even against gentle Rennie, you can't keep putting up that weak stuff, never mind against Allan or King.

These two photos, taken 15 months apart, remind me of Rex Hunt's wise words: "nothing worthwhile has ever been achieved without blood, sweat, tears, and a lot of hard toil."

bd1.jpg bd2.jpg

Set up perfectly for a third Brisbane v Adelaide GF now. This time would be at a third venue in Springfield after the first two were in Adelaide and the Gold Coast.

Smoked Hickorie had better cram for next week's test. Even against gentle Rennie, you can't keep putting up that weak stuff, never mind against Allan or King.
I think Bodywork in the Ruck and contested marking is an area that’s really grown.It’s alot more physical now and it shows with Frederick coming back into the game, mind you I think the way Fredrick steps over the Ruck circle at Centre bounces should illegal.
Hickie probably does get pushed around because she tries to use her leap but twice in three seasons isnt so bad.
She’s not as impactful as the 21 season but still makes the Bris Mids a better team.
I remember her stepping Sophie Molan from a free kick the left flank on the boundary. Molan wasn’t at the level but still a 182 Ruck taking on a Mid from the left side boundary is pretty athletic.
I think she can be the best tap tuck in the game.

166A1029-D580-480B-B823-4FB96C91C48B.jpeg E00F83B9-C1BD-4EF2-9D5A-6C11BCE7D1CB.jpeg

I think Bodywork in the Ruck and contested marking is an area that’s really grown.It’s alot more physical now and it shows with Frederick coming back into the game, mind you I think the way Fredrick steps over the Ruck circle at Centre bounces should illegal.
Hickie probably does get pushed around because she tries to use her leap but twice in three seasons isnt so bad.
She’s not as impactful as the 21 season but still makes the Bris Mids a better team.
I remember her stepping Sophie Molan from a free kick the left flank on the boundary. Molan wasn’t at the level but still a 182 Ruck taking on a Mid from the left side boundary is pretty athletic.
I think she can be the best tap tuck in the game.
If you buckle like an old mule 5 times a half for no reason, eventually it'll cost you some crucial goals. Hoare was flopping around like a wet noodle too, but I expect better from Hickie.

Real easy to tidy that up, and it was another thing indicative of Brisbane's attitude through the game. As soon as Geelong got in front (3 occasions) BL woke up and quickly took the lead back (though it was harder in Q4 without Davidson, which threatened to be the crack in their cosmic egg), but otherwise just let the match meander along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't stand the umpiring.

Way too many ball ups. Way too many.

Umps absolutely refuse to pay holding the ball/incorrect disposal and absolutely refuse to pay holding the man.

Just ends up in a pile on and a ball up over and over again. So frustrating.

Shits me to tears.

Nobody can kick opposite foot.
But not many can in the men's these days either
Huge loss to the game.that players now get told they don't need an opposite foot when it's obvious they do and obvious the players who can go both feet have a major advantage.

North deserved that win, had a lot more of the ball and Adelaide's skills were poor when it mattered. A bit lucky to get away with so many missed shots on goal, but overall were the better team.

Not well umpired again though. A couple of bizarre HTB balls in the last quarter where there was clearly no prior. Especially the one with 40 seconds to go that sealed the game.

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

Norf in a granny

Two prelims with a collective margin of 5 points is wild. The last time we would've had anything close to that in the men's totally escapes me, at this point in time.

Tahlia Randall must be a sadist with the way she so frequently refuses to kick pretty easy goals that would provide breathing room/clinch comfortable victories. Just knew those Q4 misses were going to make the last 5 minutes unbearable...

...and then Hatchard gets a clear run and jump at it in the goal square with 2 mins to go. Adelaide obviously couldn't help but think NM were gonna let them steal it again.

But the Crows were pretty poor in the last 2 mins with those back half turnovers. Regardless, their lazy showing in the QF is what really cost them a 4th flag. GF was the pass mark for them this year with that list, but then they wound up in an away PF against the other team who had the same pass mark.

Tough to figure out a reasonable crowd expectation, aim is probably 5k in both instances--only need 2k through the gates this weekend to surpass last season's entire total.
Spent all of two seconds guessing that, but both were indeed pretty much bang on the 5k mark. Brisbane sold at least 6,100 tickets apparently, no idea if that turnout ratio is typical for AFLW though.

Back