Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree re: SBMT. Always ins and out at all clubs. This year looks no different but you can't go past the depth of De La, Xavs & Collegians.

Agree re: SBMT. Always ins and out at all clubs. This year looks no different but you can't go past the depth of De La, Xavs & Collegians.

Agree with AF. Ins and Outs for everyone. Nothing new there, depth is essential. Checkout the 2012 final series in both in Premier and Premier Res. There is nearly a mirror image in both.

Was at a pub last night and heard the following from an old Ammos legend and VAFA committee man.

Carey to struggle. Lost both Yze's, captain Evans, Rowe, Fiorenza, Parton. Not much coming back the other way.
Xavs lost a heap of good players to VFL.
Scotch recruiting well under the radar. His tip for flag.
Uni's are both going hard at the recruiting. Expect blacks to stay up and Blues to play finals.
Beauy expected to struggle big time. But the Ammos are wrapped they are in A and hope they make it.
Big announcement soon re drugs and amatuer status.
Worried about finances at 7 clubs. Most lower grades.
Commented on some extroadinary wages being paid coaches at certain clubs. No names.

Was at a pub last night and heard the following from an old Ammos legend and VAFA committee man.

Carey to struggle. Lost both Yze's, captain Evans, Rowe, Fiorenza, Parton. Not much coming back the other way.
Xavs lost a heap of good players to VFL.
Scotch recruiting well under the radar. His tip for flag.
Uni's are both going hard at the recruiting. Expect blacks to stay up and Blues to play finals.
Beauy expected to struggle big time. But the Ammos are wrapped they are in A and hope they make it.
Big announcement soon re drugs and amatuer status.
Worried about finances at 7 clubs. Most lower grades.
Commented on some extroadinary wages being paid coaches at certain clubs. No names.

Have heard the same about Scotch and they seem to be assembling a very good team ths year. With Blues probably the early flag favourites. Is Gilbee confirmed to be wearing a Cardinals jumper this year? However news from Carey is that those coming in more than make us for those departing. Likewise at Xavs. My mail is they have lost very few if any players of note and have some good ins. Consensus seems to be that the two seaside clubs might battle. Personally I think St Bedes will be ok.

In a huge boost to De La Salle last years B & F and maybe their most important player Sam Pickett, who was expected to be missing all season, arrives back in the country this week.

Beauy will get a couple of wins - well coached team but not too many "A" players - McBain, Cathcart, and the two chaps onball / isolate forward are very good. Doubt they would finish the year with a % (points for / points against) above 60.

Expect a better showing from Blacks - they got away very well last year - only using 38 players for the Season in the Seniors. Perhaps 8 wins for the season.

Gilbee definately with the Cardinals this year. Potentially a job at the school and/or with the president. Was really shopping himself around apparently.

Has anyone heard if Gallagher will actually line up with Blues this year?

Have heard the same about Scotch and they seem to be assembling a very good team ths year. With Blues probably the early flag favourites. Is Gilbee confirmed to be wearing a Cardinals jumper this year? However news from Carey is that those coming in more than make us for those departing. Likewise at Xavs. My mail is they have lost very few if any players of note and have some good ins. Consensus seems to be that the two seaside clubs might battle. Personally I think St Bedes will be ok.

In a huge boost to De La Salle last years B & F and maybe their most important player Sam Pickett, who was expected to be missing all season, arrives back in the country this week.

Carey Ins good - will offset losses. Not sure why Xavs are being talked down, they were 7 pts off a flag and not too many losses of players plus a crop of good kids coming through.

Carey Ins good - will offset losses. Not sure why Xavs are being talked down, they were 7 pts off a flag and not too many losses of players plus a crop of good kids coming through.

Carey lost a few last year to injuries who will be back this year - Reid, Jones, Courtot. Plus these ins from EFL that we all hear about. Plus Peterson and Crozier back full time after leaving VFL.
Agree with Xavs. There. Under 19's feeder system alone always gives a big boost. There new coaching team will also be good and keep Xavs kids at Xavs.

Rowe to VFL has rocked Carey, to say the club and new coaching staff are devstated is a understatement, Blues have another decent player in their sights which would match Scotch on recruiting front, one cannot get enough on Scotch right now, brown paper bags leaving Camberwell via Armaguard nightly !

Rowe to VFL has rocked Carey, to say the club and new coaching staff are devstated is a understatement, Blues have another decent player in their sights which would match Scotch on recruiting front, one cannot get enough on Scotch right now, brown paper bags leaving Camberwell via Armaguard nightly !

Nice bit of stirring. Anyone who places a bet on any of the serious contenders now has rocks in their heads.

No. He had a great year last year and just wants one more crack to play at the highest level he can. Club happy for him. Everyone should strive for this if it still burns deep.
If he's not playing VFL , he will always come back to Carey, whether that's 6 months, 2 years or never.

No. He had a great year last year and just wants one more crack to play at the highest level he can. Club happy for him. Everyone should strive for this if it still burns deep.
If he's not playing VFL , he will always come back to Carey, whether that's 6 months, 2 years or never.
Huge losses for Carey put them firmly as a relegation candidate, the EFL players will not be up to the same level as all of these losses, however Pedersen is a gun!!!
Uni Blues making lots of promises, seems like Blacks have them VERY worried. Old Xavs will fall, mark my words, surely it's time for De La Salle to step up to the plate?
No way OS will be a flag contender, injuries to the old brigade will damage them and they had a good run with injuries last year. Lions for me!

Agree Xavs will likely fall but also think that Collegians may also suffer from off season losses to key personnel. Hard to see De La being better than last year without Harrison and Eddy, Shields and Moloney. I thought Pickett was just visiting Oz for a friend's wedding. Scotch definitely favourites.

Saw on the vafa transfers that team-of-the-year full back Alastair Austin and Charles Shaw (enforcer) have left Uni Blues.

Think this season could be as open as ever and it might come down to being in form come finals time.

Any other late mail on comings and goings??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if the blue half of the uni is all that scared by the black half, but it is certainly going to be a fierce battle come round three when the two first meet. In terms of recruits, both seem to be fairly evenly matched from whats been reported on here (blacks with their big men from the Hawks and blues with R. Young and Nik Smith). Interested to hear who this new one on the horizon is for the Blues.

Talking to a blues man this morning, he was more worried about the first u/19's training that took place at the varsity last night. Blues on one half of the ground, blacks on the other. He said numbers with the blacks easily doubled those of the blues. Worrying times if you're a Blue. Could the power be shifting?

Any trial games between Premier A clubs on the horizon? Should be interesting to get a little glimpse of how teams are shaping.

Huge losses for Carey put them firmly as a relegation candidate, the EFL players will not be up to the same level as all of these losses, however Pedersen is a gun!!!
Uni Blues making lots of promises, seems like Blacks have them VERY worried. Old Xavs will fall, mark my words, surely it's time for De La Salle to step up to the plate?
No way OS will be a flag contender, injuries to the old brigade will damage them and they had a good run with injuries last year. Lions for me!
I cant see Old Xavs falling, they have too much depth and i think anyone could be a relegation contender with a bad injury run, but i think Old Carey will be stronger than that. Rowe, Evans, D Yze and Fiorenza are huge losses, however Parton and A Yze would only have played 5 between them. Peterson and Crozier are guns, and returning KPF Reid and Jones are both state reps so on that basis they are looking like a break even, like many sides i suspect, not taking into account any EFL signings which we are yet to see much evidence of.

Why will Xavs fall? Loads of depth - no huge losses. Similar story at De La - they cover losses better than anyone, others rely on their good players playing often.

On recruiting - St Bernards have loads of ins - a couple of good names, not sure about the others

Agree Xavs will likely fall but also think that Collegians may also suffer from off season losses to key personnel. Hard to see De La being better than last year without Harrison and Eddy, Shields and Moloney. I thought Pickett was just visiting Oz for a friend's wedding. Scotch definitely favourites.

Saw on the vafa transfers that team-of-the-year full back Alastair Austin and Charles Shaw (enforcer) have left Uni Blues.

Think this season could be as open as ever and it might come down to being in form come finals time.

Any other late mail on comings and goings??

Fair call re De La and improvement will have to come from the young blokes taking another step. They are a bit of an unknown this year. The named departures not such an issue as most have barely played over the last 2 seasons. Harrison a loss but is the wrong side of 30 and had a recent knee reco so not sure how much footy left in him. Talk that Shields reconsidering retirement anyway. Pickett back for good this week which is an enormous boost. What kills De La, like other A and B grade clubs, is having 10-12 kids running around playing VFL 2nds.

No way that Xavs will drop off. They will be one of the main threats again. Uni Blues recruiting model is boom or bust. Might pay dividends but if not then it can cause long term issues. Maybe the message that they are not interested in developing from within is already impacting on their U19s. Shaw and Austin big lossess for Blues.

Fair call re De La and improvement will have to come from the young blokes taking another step. They are a bit of an unknown this year. The named departures not such an issue as most have barely played over the last 2 seasons. Harrison a loss but is the wrong side of 30 and had a recent knee reco so not sure how much footy left in him. Talk that Shields reconsidering retirement anyway. Pickett back for good this week which is an enormous boost. What kills De La, like other A and B grade clubs, is having 10-12 kids running around playing VFL 2nds.

No way that Xavs will drop off. They will be one of the main threats again. Uni Blues recruiting model is boom or bust. Might pay dividends but if not then it can cause long term issues. Maybe the message that they are not interested in developing from within is already impacting on their U19s. Shaw and Austin big lossess for Blues.

I agree, Xavs will not drop off. They are a very consistent club and to their credit, put a lot of resources into recruiting to ensure that outgoings are offset by what comes in. Also, we know that they like to keep their cards close to their chest. Nothing wrong with that! I'm sure they will have a game against someone preseason that will show case a few of their fresh faces!

I'm not sure the blues trying to recruit themselves a premiership is the most dominant factor regarding the 19's. There are plenty of reasons, the most obvious being it was only night one. The second is that there is now another option for kids who want to play at a club that is represented in the highest grade within the VAFA. Disregarding club culture, the blues would have been a natural decision for any kid wanting to play senior footy at the highest (ammo) level. The third reason might be talk around the uni grounds regarding the coaches. Kempon or Watts, sort of like asking a recruiter if given the benefit of hindsight, would you pick Franklin or Tambling.

D, Second year of coaching in total or 2nd year of coaching at UBlk's? I think this will be Watt's second
year in total on his own.

FF, his first coaching appointment was uni blacks. Played with St. Kevs and blacks, but its his first time as coach since retiring from blacks in 2010. A grade might just prove a completely different challenge though. Big difference between the grades so cant really judge the two (against one another) just yet.

IMO, blues will still give blacks a hiding.

David Gallagher rumoured to have walked on Uni Blues, apparently returning to the VFL. While they have still secured some impressive recruits they would look much better with Gilbee and Gallagher. Shaw and Austin big departures also.

David Gallagher rumoured to have walked on Uni Blues, apparently returning to the VFL. While they have still secured some impressive recruits they would look much better with Gilbee and Gallagher. Shaw and Austin big departures also.

If true, shouldnt come as any surprise to anyone. Always a "gun for higher" and from what I understand of his position, extra money is right up there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back