Proposed 17-5 three tier fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

How about 3, 6 team divisions, west, central and east, you play each team in your division home and away and play all the other teams once, home one year and away the next. Which is 22 games played

I like the idea of divisions, but who goes where is always a major issue, especially in Vic, both from wanting to play some teams more, and for the $$$ from playing certain teams twice.

I like the idea of divisions, but who goes where is always a major issue, especially in Vic, both from wanting to play some teams more, and for the $$$ from playing certain teams twice.

That is partly the reason I put the Hawks and North in the east, as they would prefer to play their instate games in Tassie, but I know it would be issue on which teams plays in the central division

My only problem with it is the bottom tier as Brisbane and Carlton genuinely need picks 1 and 2 and it would somehow feel wrong if a team like Essendon or Gold Coast got it.

All the Bottom 6 teams are rubbish. Saints need Pick 1 just as much as any other team at the bottom.

I was thinking that it would be interesting if they could somehow make it so once a team mathematically couldn't make the finals their season would be over.

Would be impossible to fixture though and the bottom teams would lose a lot of money.

Boy how we forget.

http://afltables.com/afl/seas/2013.html

In 2013 Essendon - a team that qualified for the finals - were relegated to 9th and were excluded from the finals.

How many teams would have been stopped from playing when they actually still had a chance of playing finals under your proposal?

That is absolutely idiotic.

So you could potentially have teams on the same win/loss ratio when this system starts. Then the one in 6th loses the next 5 straight, while the one in 7th wins the next 5 straight. You now have a team finishing lower on the ladder than a team it is 20 points ahead of in terms of wins recorded on the ladder.

This is actually quite likely because the team in 6th has to get fed to the lions playing the rest of the top 6 for 5 weeks, while the team in 7th gets to pound the teams from 8-12th.

I think that's kinda the whole point. Play every team and if you can't make the Top 6 during this time you don't deserve to.

Has a Premiership team ever come from outside the Top 6 after Round 17?

Heres a crazy idea. How bout we just leave it as it is? I swear i didnt know afl was broken till the media kept telling me it is. The only thing that should change (and i use change but really should just have always been.) Is a fair draw for all. that means more friday nights for wb, brisbane etc and less for carlton and the like. And, share travel around best as possible. That means collingwood leaving melbourne before round 14, as was the way last year or the year before.

But just look back at all the undeserving Premiers over the years! So many of them!!! </s>.

Boy how we forget.

http://afltables.com/afl/seas/2013.html

In 2013 Essendon - a team that qualified for the finals - were relegated to 9th and were excluded from the finals.

How many teams would have been stopped from playing when they actually still had a chance of playing finals under your proposal?

Not many. You're out when you need more wins to equal 8th place on points then there are matches remaining in a season. Carlton and others still would have been in the comp when Essendon were banned.

How about 3, 6 team divisions, west, central and east, you play each team in your division home and away and play all the other teams once, home one year and away the next. Which is 22 games played

West
Freight
WC
Crows
Port
Cats
Dogs

Central
Richmond
Pies
Bombers
St kilda
Carlton
Melbourne

East
Hawks
North
Swans
GWS
Lions
GC

Due to the number of teams in Victoria, 3 of 6 doesn't work.

Rather 2 of 4 and 2 of 5 fits the club structure better.

ADE - FRE - PA - WCE
BL - GC - GWS - SYD
CAR - COL - MEL - RIC - STK
ESS - GEE - HAW - NM - WB

Can still maintain a 22 match per team season with this.

Clubs in the same group play the majority of games under the same h&a conditions, e.g, all teams in CAR group play all teams in ADE group at home. All teams in ADE group play all teams in ESS group at home, etc. This rolls each season and essentially each team will play every other team h&a over two seasons.

The main principle of the format is that teams in the same group share a majority of the same fixture and can be compared to each other for finals qualification. As such at least one team from each group would qualify for finals, but at the same time every team from one group can still make the finals if they're good enough.

Finals seeding is based on overall Season Record as it now, however, if two teams are on the same points then regular season head-to-head determines the higher seeding.

Finals structure can remain as it is now.

West
Freight
WC
Crows
Port
Cats
Dogs

Central
Richmond
Pies
Bombers
St kilda
Carlton
Melbourne

East
Hawks
North
Swans
GWS
Lions
GC

I agree with this division set up.
Hawks/North/Dogs were the 1925 expansion sides, so makes sense for them to be placed in the "expansion" divisions... them along with Geelong who are not based in Melbourne.
The central division is the foundation VFL division containing the so called Big 4 + Melbourne.

I would add a finals stipulation - 4th can not host a Prelim against a division winner.
If 4th upsets 1st in Week 1, they get the week off, but if they play 2nd/3rd in the Prelim (most likely), 2nd/3rd gets the home Prelim.
This ensures that division winners have some advantage over 4th in the Top 4.

Hawks/North/Dogs were the 1925 expansion sides, so makes sense for them to be placed in the "expansion" divisions... them along with Geelong who are not based in Melbourne.
The central division is the foundation VFL division containing the so called Big 4 + Melbourne.

Good luck getting the VIC 'expansion' teams to agree with that.

If the top six are then playing each other for the second time, it has to be at the alternate venue from the first time. Might need to allow six weeks to work out the details of it.

Somethings not been discussed much, but the final ladder of these three teams should only be calculated on the 10 games each team plays against the other five top six teams

Otherwise, it wont be fair, there will be compromises and not worth changing for

Could be a problem if the team was fixtured against the other five teams at home and then has to go on the road for five weeks! What if these were 6 teams from 5 different states?!?

The extra five games would have to be drawn again. 2 home 3 away or 3 home 2 away.

Could be a problem if the team was fixtured against the other five teams at home and then has to go on the road for five weeks! What if these were 6 teams from 5 different states?!?

The extra five games would have to be drawn again. 2 home 3 away or 3 home 2 away.

It would be hard, but if it was a compromise, why bother ?

If you pencilled in the previous years top six to play each other in the last five rounds, for the second time un the season, youd just have to swap the two or three teams which enters the top six

Thers still would be problems with the schedule, so allow an extra week with a rolling bye to account for thst

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would add a finals stipulation - 4th can not host a Prelim against a division winner.
If 4th upsets 1st in Week 1, they get the week off, but if they play 2nd/3rd in the Prelim (most likely), 2nd/3rd gets the home Prelim.
This ensures that division winners have some advantage over 4th in the Top 4.

So called foundation division are up the creek at the moment. Not very competitive

Regarding playing off for draft picks, sounds a bit like the proposal I had whereby 9th place earned first draft pick, then 10th second etc.

The idea was booed worse than Adam Goodes.

Now it appears the brains trust at AFL were reading my post. :)

Can we please just get everyone playing each other once in a 17-round season then have the same finals format, except it's best of three matches for each final, cheers that would be great.

Can we please just get everyone playing each other once in a 17-round season then have the same finals format, except it's best of three matches for each final, cheers that would be great.

Only problem with that is that the winners of the QFs could get 3 weeks off, thats unworkable, sides would lose form.... doing a best of 3 for each final could only work if the finals were all knockout a la nba/nhl playoffs

Only problem with that is that the winners of the QFs could get 3 weeks off, thats unworkable, sides would lose form.... doing a best of 3 for each final could only work if the finals were all knockout a la nba/nhl playoffs

True good point. In that case we'd have to change it to 1v8 2v7 3v6 and 4v5. Best of three is a good format, that way even if 8 beats 1 you can't say it was a fluke given it would've happened twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back