PSD pick #8 Jack Hannath

Remove this Banner Ad

After being told..
2u8c5ly.jpg

Do you reckon Jesse Hogan is whispering in his ear "Take me with yooooooooou"

With Sandi getting on and Moller still being a very speculative pick, I don't think Hannath's arrival spells the end for Clarke at all. But I really like the idea of having the two ruck/forwards, about the same age, increasing the competition for spots.

The reason why I like this pick is because if this kid is as good there are so many positives for our club. One thing I learnt about afl trading in the last trade period is that a player's trade value is all about supply and demand. An excellent mid sized defender who can also play as an inside mid and is 26 years of age has not as much trade value as an emerging ruckman or key forward. (Hickery and Tom Lee). The reason for this appears to be that most drafts produce a large number of excellent mid defenders and midfielders, but only a handful of quality tall players. The sixteen teams who have been in the competition for more than two seasons have had this problem compounded by recruiting concessions provide to the two new teams.

Recruiting Hannath, if he turns into a good player will give us real strength at the trade table, as we will have a scarce highly sought after trade commodity. Or if he want to keep him, we will have the option of trading Moller, Clarke or Griffin. Either way, we could end up by improving our ability to trade for a rare commodity (a key position defender or tall forward) by trading a rare commodity which we have an over supply of (ruckman).

BTW. I thought Zac Clarke's form as a ruckman was excellent in 2012, but his form as a forward was average. I wish supporters would give him more time to develop before they judge him, as very few players of his height do much before they turn 24. The three most deserving ruckman for All Australian selection last season. Maric, Jacobs and Cox all struggled to have a consistent impact on games until about their 5th to 7th year on an AFL list. Hendrix actually had a better statistacal out-put then any of the guys I mentioned at the same age in 2012. He also came to the club at 72kg (i think) so it was always going to take more than five years to gain the strength required to be an elite ruck/ big forward. We need to give him time.

Yeh definitely showed class on his part.. really after he cried in that press conference after his first game, and said some emotive stuff about cutting blokes, I though he wasn't cut out to coach AFL, especially after such a short time coaching at the top level. But let's see how the dees go this year.

Neeld reminds me of Damien Drum. Both came in talking a big game about whipping their clubs into shape only to take them backwards from day dot. Both often come across lost or panicked, and incapable of staying in control or imparting a clear and consistent message.

His words were a nice touch though and speak volumes for how far our club has come in the last few years in terms of respect in the general football world. I wonder if Hannath will show up and notice an immediate and distinct difference in professionalism in training between the two clubs. I sure hope so.

Neeld reminds me of Damien Drum. Both came in talking a big game about whipping their clubs into shape only to take them backwards from day dot. Both often come across lost or panicked, and incapable of staying in control or imparting a clear and consistent message.

His words were a nice touch though and speak volumes for how far our club has come in the last few years in terms of respect in the general football world. I wonder if Hannath will show up and notice an immediate and distinct difference in professionalism in training between the two clubs. I sure hope so.
He looks that way to me too. He does have a good CV and was apparently highly regraded at Collingwood so he can't be a complete nong. I reckon might surprise a few this year.
Must admit I was puzzled by this pick but the more I read about this kid the better I'm feeling about it.
Rapt we got Taberner too!

Jack Hannath is a good story. He has been on the scene for a long time now. He was in the state under 16 squad, under 18 squad and under 20 squad. Even back in under 16's he was a good kick and had clean hands. He got found out in his under 18 year when they put him up to reserves level and he really struggled with the physical intensity of playing against men. 2010 he played reserves all year and still really struggled with the physical intensity and was tried as a key defender. In 2011 Central lost both their senior ruckman so he was thrown to the wolves of senior football before he was ready but he contested nicely although well out of his weight division. Come 2012 Central lost there lead ruckman again and he was left with having to ruck all day, again he contested a lot better but he wasn't getting enough possessions, however about 8 weeks into the year he had a break out game where he dominated senior football for the first time and his rapid rise started to happen, even though there was a lot of work had gone into his game over the years. He probably had 5 games for the year where he dominated and in the last half of the year all his other games were serviceable. Personally I think he would have come out and dominated SANFL football next year and been a sorrt out target in the 2013 draft. Also with his size this year he has developed his attack on the ball in the marking contest and is now taking some very nice marks. Late in the season he spent some time resting forward and he certainly showed he could lead and kick goals as well. One thing is he has kept improving and kept his nose to the grinding stone rather than chucking the towel in.

Jack Hannath is a good story. He has been on the scene for a long time now. He was in the state under 16 squad, under 18 squad and under 20 squad. Even back in under 16's he was a good kick and had clean hands. He got found out in his under 18 year when they put him up to reserves level and he really struggled with the physical intensity of playing against men. 2010 he played reserves all year and still really struggled with the physical intensity and was tried as a key defender. In 2011 Central lost both their senior ruckman so he was thrown to the wolves of senior football before he was ready but he contested nicely although well out of his weight division. Come 2012 Central lost there lead ruckman again and he was left with having to ruck all day, again he contested a lot better but he wasn't getting enough possessions, however about 8 weeks into the year he had a break out game where he dominated senior football for the first time and his rapid rise started to happen, even though there was a lot of work had gone into his game over the years. He probably had 5 games for the year where he dominated and in the last half of the year all his other games were serviceable. Personally I think he would have come out and dominated SANFL football next year and been a sorrt out target in the 2013 draft. Also with his size this year he has developed his attack on the ball in the marking contest and is now taking some very nice marks. Late in the season he spent some time resting forward and he certainly showed he could lead and kick goals as well. One thing is he has kept improving and kept his nose to the grinding stone rather than chucking the towel in.

Cheers for the info!

Surprised that it seems he had absolutely no idea that we were interested. Normally players have at least a vague idea a club is interested when it comes to PSD/RD picks. Sometimes it's all but confirmed before hand, but even if it isn't, a player unusually gets a call, a bit of verbal interest indicating that it's a possibility. Did this happen with Hannath? Sounds like us picking him came out of the blue for the guy??

Besides that, I like the pick from the little I know of him.

Well bugger me! If I was in the know and someone told me that Freo were gonna take a tall from Central Districts, I would've gone straight out and bet my house on the arrival of Justin Hardy and done a little dance to celebrate.
Not what I expected at all....... but he's certainly got what most of us were hoping - Height and bulk and possibly ready to play some games in 2013. His highlights reel seems to be more superior to anything I've yet seen from Clarke too. :D
Pity they didn't give Crichton the heave-ho and grab Hardy instead imo.
But, overall it looks like a pretty good day at the office for Bondy, Lloyd and co I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well bugger me! If I was in the know and someone told me that Freo were gonna take a tall from Central Districts, I would've gone straight out and bet my house on the arrival of Justin Hardy and done a little dance to celebrate.
Not what I expected at all....... but he's certainly got what most of us were hoping - Height and bulk and possibly ready to play some games in 2013. His highlights reel seems to be more superior to anything I've yet seen from Clarke too. :D
Pity they didn't give Crichton the heave-ho and grab Hardy instead imo.
But, overall it looks like a pretty good day at the office for Bondy, Lloyd and co I reckon.
You still here? I thought you might've gone off and bought a Port membership? :D

Surprised that it seems he had absolutely no idea that we were interested. Normally players have at least a vague idea a club is interested when it comes to PSD/RD picks. Sometimes it's all but confirmed before hand, but even if it isn't, a player unusually gets a call, a bit of verbal interest indicating that it's a possibility. Did this happen with Hannath? Sounds like us picking him came out of the blue for the guy??

Besides that, I like the pick from the little I know of him.

Brad Lloyd did mention that they spent some time at his house with him, getting to know him. Might not have given him any assurances though.

You still here? I thought you might've gone off and bought a Port membership? :D
Ah Nickos. At least Mitchell might give me something to minutely like about Port. Won't be the only one watching to see how he goes I'm sure?

How did the ultrasoundy thingy go? All well I trust. :thumbsu:

Brad Lloyd did mention that they spent some time at his house with him, getting to know him. Might not have given him any assurances though.

Right, well that makes more sense then. Usually a player will at least get that. By PSD stage a reasonable player might have 2-5 clubs talk to him, so surely he would have had at least some idea that he might be picked. Sounds like we didn't give much of clue though beyond that.

A bit 'WTF' re: his reaction. Sounds like a bit of a toolbag.

Should be grateful for his chance at AFL level, putting his head in his hands and being seemingly lost for words was a bit much.

Sounds like a good prospect though.

Should be grateful for his chance at AFL level, putting his head in his hands and being seemingly lost for words was a bit much.

I'm with you, when I first read that article, I thought 'What a drama queen' but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt now he is in the purple but I expect another article this week saying how grateful he is, blah, blah, blah :D

Also Melbourne only had rookie picks, we have given him a chance on the main list!

I'm with you, when I first read that article, I thought 'What a drama queen' but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt now he is in the purple but I expect another article this week saying how grateful he is, blah, blah, blah :D

Also Melbourne only had rookie picks, we have given him a chance on the main list!

Agreed someone should point out:
1. Freo > Melbourne
2. Senior list > Rookie list
3. WA > SA

He should be doing cartwheels to get out to Adelaide :p

I must admit a significant factor in my liking of this pick is the fact that we stitched Melbourne up. Is that wrong?

Have you ever heard of a journalist getting an angle on a stroy and running a mile with it.

Ah Nickos. At least Mitchell might give me something to minutely like about Port. Won't be the only one watching to see how he goes I'm sure?

How did the ultrasoundy thingy go? All well I trust. :thumbsu:
Yeah, he'll be one of very few reasons for me to read up about the results of their games, i'll admit. You can't help but wish all the best for him, as he deserves the shot based on determination alone.

All good! Very, very happy. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back