Fixture Putting the fix in fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

To make it fair.

This ia about Geelong at Cat Park.

Why should Geelong be able to play in front of a 95% Geelong members only crowd at Cat Park.

Yet Essendon v Geelong, the crowd isnt also 95% Essendon members only.

Why do Geelong get to have 20-25k Geelong fans get along to their away game against Essendon, but Essendon fans arent afforded the same opportunity?

Geelong plays 6 games at the G, Essendon 8

How many to become familiar with the G?

Big BLOCKBUSTERS at the G always feel neutral because they are, if a team has 25-30k fans at the ground they get enough support.

Collingwood plays home games at Marvel against Marvel tenants, are they "home" games, neutral games or away disadvantage games?

In a crowd of 87k you cant tell, it is a neutral game as both teams have a s**t load of support.

Unlike a game at Cat Park where it is 95% Geelong.

I hope you’re ok.

To make it fair.

This ia about Geelong at Cat Park.

Why should Geelong be able to play in front of a 95% Geelong members only crowd at Cat Park.
Because Cat Park is Geelong’s home ground, just like Optus is West Coasts home ground, Giants stadium is GWS’ home ground. Why should West Coast and Giants play in front of 95% of their own members but you have a problem with Geelong playing in front of their members.

Should the general admission at the MCG be capped when West Coast play away at the MCG?

why should Collingwood have reserve seats for their members at Geelong home games at the MCG but Geelong don’t get reserved seats at the MCG when it’s Collingwood’s home game. Should Collingwood give reserve seating in prime locations at the mcg to their opponents for their members.

To make it fair.

Why do Geelong get to have 20-25k Geelong fans get along to their away game against Essendon, but Essendon fans arent afforded the same opportunity?
where do you get these numbers from. I doubt Geelong are getting that many to away games.
Geelong plays 6 games at the G, Essendon 8

How many to become familiar with the G?
I’m not sure what this has to do with the discussion. Cat Park is where Geelong want to play their home games, it’s their home ground.

Collingwood plays home games at Marvel against Marvel tenants, are they "home" games, neutral games or away disadvantage games?
Collingwood playing home games at Marvel is f****** stupid, even more so against Marvel tenants.
In a crowd of 87k you cant tell, it is a neutral game as both teams have a s**t load of support.

Unlike a game at Cat Park where it is 95% Geelong.
totally disagree with this. Home team always has the reserved seating in prime locations getting the majorly of the crowd. Unless it’s Collingwood away, they get reserved seating at away games.

Because Cat Park is Geelong’s home ground, just like Optus is West Coasts home ground, Giants stadium is GWS’ home ground. Why should West Coast and Giants play in front of 95% of their own members but you have a problem with Geelong playing in front of their members.
Because unlike the Giants, Geelong get the best of both worlds.

A true home ground advantage for 9 games, but then Geelong also get 6 games at the G where 20-30k Cats fans get to attend.
where do you get these numbers from. I doubt Geelong are getting that many to away games.
If the crowd is 87K, like Coll v Geel was earlier in the year, you dont reckon they have at least 20-30k fans at the ground?
I’m not sure what this has to do with the discussion. Cat Park is where Geelong want to play their home games, it’s their home ground.
The discussion has come about as Essendon are heading down to Cat Park.

When Essendon played Geelong earlier in the year, there was 68k people at the G... Geelong had heaps of support, the players are familiar with the G and no plane travel and overnight stays involved. Effectively no advantage to Essendon.

Not the case tonight, Geelong have a distinct advantage, Essendon players have no ground familiarity and there will be barely any Essendon fans in attendance.

Collingwood playing home games at Marvel is f****** stupid, even more so against Marvel tenants.
No Melbourne teams get all their home games at one single home ground.

Geelong fans think they are hard done by because they are included in some of the MCG Blockbusters on Easter Monday and big Friday night games.

And the SA fans are used to playing away games at random alternate, so think it is unfair that they cop a genuine away game for a change.

A true home ground advantage for 9 games, but then Geelong also get 6 games at the G where 20-30k Cats fans get to attend.
Giants fans can also attend the MCG.
If the crowd is 87K, like Coll v Geel was earlier in the year, you dont reckon they have at least 20-30k fans at the ground?
Geelong vs Collingwood 87k was Geelong’s home game, they should have had majority of the crowd but probably didn’t with Collingwood having reserved seats at that game.

When Essendon played Geelong earlier in the year, there was 68k people at the G... Geelong had heaps of support, the players are familiar with the G and no plane travel and overnight stays involved. Effectively no advantage to Essendon.

Not the case tonight, Geelong have a distinct advantage, Essendon players have no ground familiarity and there will be barely any Essendon fans in attendance.
majority were Essendon fans early in the year as it was Essendon’s home game. Essendon had all the reserve seating, Geelong had none.

Plenty of red and black at Cat Park tonight.

If Geelong played all their home games at Cat Park then they wouldn’t be as familiar with the MCG.

So what’s the issue? They play 9 at Cat Park and 2 at the G. What’s the problem with Essendon being one of the teams playing down there? Melbourne played there this year and I didn’t think it was a problem.

Geelong fans think they are hard done by because they are included in some of the MCG Blockbusters on Easter Monday and big Friday night games.

And the SA fans are used to playing away games at random alternate, so think it is unfair that they cop a genuine away game for a change.
Hard done by?

It's just a Geelong home game tonight which seems to prompt outrage for some reason

yes i am. it's a geelong home game. geelong is a different place to melbourne. gws stadium holds about 500 people but teams have to play there.

maybe when port plays collingwood for top spot, we should move it from adelaide oval to the MCG because it holds more?

Port won’t be playing Collingwood for top spot.

How many GA tickets were available for Cat Park this week?

Whatever that figure is, that should be what Geelong away games at the G are capped at...for fairness.

Melbourne fans dont go to Docklands.

Kings Bday was a Melbourne "home" game, in reality it is a neutral game.

Same as Easter Monday between Geelong amd Hawthorn...both clubs have heaps of fans rock up, who is listed as "home" is irrelevant.

There was 87k at the R1 Pies v Geelong game, and 96K at AnZAC Day between Pies and Dons.

Couldnt tell you who the "home" team was as it is irrelevant, just BIG BLOCKBUSTERS where the G was rocking.

I assume the plan was the stadium would be complete, so FIXture a big Melbourne club who wasnt really fancied to do that well on-field in 2023 was the original thinking.

And it was Essendon's turn to host the Country game at the G.

RuOK

Hard done by?

It's just a Geelong home game tonight which seems to prompt outrage for some reason

Somehow I doubt tonight’s result would be any different at Marvel or the MCG. Essendon are just poor.

There’s no doubt that on average Geelong is one of the main beneficiaries of ( net) home ground advantage, along with the interstate teams…. but that’s not their fault, it’s just basic geography. The big Melbourne teams have the most neutral draws. It is what it is.

Somehow I doubt tonight’s result would be any different at Marvel or the MCG. Essendon are just poor.

There’s no doubt that on average Geelong is one of the main beneficiaries of ( net) home ground advantage, along with the interstate teams…. but that’s not their fault, it’s just basic geography. The big Melbourne teams have the most neutral draws. It is what it is.
The big Melbourne clubs are the beneficiaries of playing less away games. Just geography they play the most neutral games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you start having to play your 2-3 of your annual home games at the opposition’s home ground I’ll start to feel sorry for you.

Yes I get that it’s an inequality in the fixture, it also doesn’t change the fact that if you get an away game against Geelong and we had to play you in Melbourne instead of Geelong, we’d win the majority of them over the last few decades as well: you’re travelling interstate and playing a generally strong side.

The biggest inequality in all of this is still, and will remain until we get to host all our home games at our home ground, the fact that we play home games at the opposition venue.

And to be honest while I’d love that to change and for us to have 11 home games a year and finals etc etc, if that never happens I really couldn’t give a s**t. Good teams win anywhere against anyone so if we don’t get those games, stiff s**t. It won’t be the reason we fail to win a comp or something.
Oh like hawthorn playing home games at marvel vs dogs and saints?

I wouldn’t have a clue about the intricacies of your draw but yes if the MCG is your nominal home ground that’s where you should be playing especially against those sides
We get 6 actual home at mcg 4 in tassie and 1 at marvel and usually it’s against dogs, saints or even bombers sometimes.

Rubbish. Total unmitigated garbage.

Geelong are at no disadvantage for their Victorian away games. None. To pretend otherwise is either ignorance or deliberate intellectual dishonesty.

There are 3 things that contribute to an away game being a disadvantage:

1.) Familiarity of the away venue
2.) Away fans in significant numbers at the game
3.) Travel. Do you have to get on a plane?

So, take a team that plays at the Gabba or Adelaide Oval. They are 3/3 in the difficulty stakes.

Essendon this week are 2 out or 3. There is no significant travel, as a short trip down the highway doesn't count. The first two things on the list are prevalent.

Geelong's away games at the MCG and Marvel are 0/3 in the difficulty stakes. The Cats have no meaningful travel for away games at the MCG or marvel, they play at a familiar venue which they play at almost as many times as they play at Kardinia Park, and away fans are unrestricted in being able to attend. There can be as many as 30,000 Geelong away fans at the MCG with no prospect of being locked out, playing at a familiar venue with no travel.

A typical Geelong season (excluding gather round) is:

9 advantage games at Kardinia
5 disadvantage games (travel games)
8 neutral games at the MCG or Marvel.

9 minus 5 equal "+4" net advantage.

It's the biggest rort in the AFL. Bar none.
You can’t even win your own argument.
You say there is no disadvantage of an away game at the G for us but then list the reasons why we are disadvantaged.
Familiarity is against us when it’s pies, tigers, melbourne.
On top of that we are outnumbered significantly when it comes to Essendon or Carlton.
The familiarity is minor of course.
2 of our own home games are at a disadvantage, hell it even happens in finals.

From your own argument we are -4 not +4.
Reading your arguments is hilarious. You can’t even successfully argue we are advantaged, mainly because it’s impossible.
But hey you keep trying champ :)

Thank you Timmy, I'm aware we pooed our pants today. Try to stick on the thread topic of the unfair advantages given to Collingwood please

So it is a whinge about Collingwood. Why didn't you just say so in the OP?

Anyways, as others have said, no Vic clubs gets to play all of its home games at its home ground.

Essendon and Carlton - both Marvel tenants play many home games at MCG. Collingwood play home games at Mavel. Geelomg play home games at MCG. In all cases, often the home game is against an away team at THEIR home ground.

The idea of a home game is to have the least amount of away supporters in the house. The hint is in the term "HOME".

Just because half the Melbourne Clubs play out of a cavernous concrete bowl which allows many opposition fans the option to attend is their problem.
If you are good enough you would win anywhere anytime, last time I checked that includes the MCG as well.

Before I start reading this thread I have a genuine question as I really don't like wasting my precious time on pea hearted, spoilt wingers: Is this yet another thread where supporters of the most advantaged and heavily subsidised clubs like Geelong and the other non Melbourne based clubs complain bitterly that it's all so unfair and that they're entitled to even more outrageous unsporting advantages than they already get?
All entertainment so worth while lol. Will also add if Geelong earn a Home State Final, it should be played at the MCG regardless of oppo.

Saying ‘I touched a nerve’ or it’s oft-used counterpart ‘you’ve been triggered’ is generally just a way of saying ‘you’ve just posted something on the subject that isn’t in line with what I have said.’

If you want to have a go at whingers, don’t layer your own post with s**t about the so called ‘most advantaged clubs.’ As soon as you say it, it makes the rest of your post redundant.
Oh FFS. I've said I'm sorry for questioning if this thread is a whingefest populated by the usual incessant whingers. I've acknowledged that you have the right to whinge and moan and bitch and complain as much as you like.
But apparently that's not good enough, and my initial question has become yet another excuse for you to whinge the s**t out of everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back