Review Q-CLASH XXV vs Brisbane Lions @ The Bank - 29/07/23 - 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Take Burgess as sub, and if King doesn’t pull his finger out by half time, have a spell on the bench son.
May as well take another player as sub then. If King does (finally) have a good game, Burgess won’t be playing wing or midfield…

Good to see Lemmens back in, I guess. Long has been a bit of a bust, unfortunately (ok, but very inconsistent). Rosas had a pretty good game last week in the VFL and should be a decent replacement for Ace, but this too is a predictable and uninspiring change.

Long has been alright, got his colours lowered by Greene last week (won't be the last person that happens to).

What does Sexton need to do to get a look in, Rosas will get 8 touches for 0.2, I can see it now
I’d take Sexton as best 22 for a few games to see if he still has it and Rosas as sub, personally. Rosas comes on with pace and pressure—can go forward, wing or even a bit of a outside mid role, while Sexton might actually generate some scoreboard pressure; at the very least, the bloke can crumb or make a lead.

MarcLocksCrustySock
Not exactly conventional, and I know playing tall didn't work early but I'd be tempted to give Chol another go.
Don't let the Brisbane tall defenders get settled.

Farrar / Atkins / Powell to try rebound quickly off half back and get the ball in to our forward 50 quickly.

Payne as the deep lock down defender and Andrews playing higher is a really challenging.

Casboult / Chol / King all spend some time off ground but work their guts out when on field.

Lemmens Collins Andrew
Cameron Daniher Hipwood

Powell Ballard Atkins
Zorko Gunston McCarthy

Ellis Miller Hollands
McCluggage Dunkley Berry

Ainsworth Casboult Lukosius
McKenna Andrews Starcevich

Chol King Holman
Lester Payne Coleman

Witts Anderson Rowell
Mcinerny Rayner Neale

Farrar Macpherson Flanders Rosas
Lohman Ah Chee Wilmot Fletcher

E: Swallow

Long has been alright, got his colours lowered by Greene last week (won't be the last person that happens to).

What does Sexton need to do to get a look in, Rosas will get 8 touches for 0.2, I can see it now
Long has been a huge disappointment cant defend lacks awareness and worst of all not as tough as i thought he was.
Sexton can kick a goal or two but cant afford another forward who doesnt chase or taclkle.
Lack of quality small foward is killing us

On points bet you can get the same odds for Charlie Cameron to kick 5 goals as you can get for Ben King to kick 5.

Long has been a huge disappointment cant defend lacks awareness and worst of all not as tough as i thought he was.
Sexton can kick a goal or two but cant afford another forward who doesnt chase or taclkle.
Lack of quality small foward is killing us
It’s been my personal opinion for a while, but I’d rather a forward who can snag a few goals. We go in enough, the ball hits the deck enough. Just need some class and quick boot to ball smarts to get a few unexpected goals and keep defenders accountable. I feel like all our smalls are always “defensive forwards”.

Goals inspire a team and raise energy. We need some more downhill skiing, heather than fighting and scrapping for every point.

On points bet you can get the same odds for Charlie Cameron to kick 5 goals as you can get for Ben King to kick 5.

What are the odds on King kicking no goals. Asking for a friend….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t get a more like for like.
Doesn’t exactly scream “watch out”
Or something exciting is coming
Are people just going to ignore the fact that Lemmens kept Charlie Cameron to a goal or two in this year's first QClash when he was absolutely on fire and had kicked 26 goals in 7 games? I'm feeling much about better having Lemmo in the backline as opposed to Long after what we saw last week.

Also, people have been suggesting for several weeks that Oea was not AFL standard and then when he's dropped no one seems to acknowledge it as a good move. Why? I think we all know Rosas is a better player with a higher ceiling when compared to Ace so I think that's a good move as well.

Not sure what people were expecting. Did you guys want King dropped for Chol/McLaughlin? Steven King already confirmed yesterday that King was staying in the team so I don't know why anyone would marry themselves to that idea. Overall, our 22 looks better this week and that's a good thing.

I for one like the changes, I have been surprised the last few weeks lemmens hasn't been selected when fit, I think he's our best lock down defender. Rosas wasn't great and deserved to be dropped but we need a small forward who can kick goals and he has shown glimpses of that before. Rosas to kick 3 and contract extension announced next week.

AFL R20: Gold Coast v Brisbane Lions Preview – Hopes for the final stretch
Looked at some key hopes for the last few games, have to get something out of them.
  • Young guns Humphrey, Andrew and Hollands need to be freed up and hopefully have one great game each before the end of the year
  • King needs to move up the ground more to give himself more space and get more touches, hopefully relax and get into games more easily
  • New midfield rotation is the way to go – can’t put too much workload on just 4 players

SUNS by 3
I'll eat 2 meat pies before qtr time, and another at half time,
Traffic will be chaos even though its only 15k

2 of these will happen
Well it can’t be the pie prediction as we all know they will run out half way through the 2nd quarter

So as a matter of deduction you’re saying the Suns will win :)

Last edited:
May as well take another player as sub then. If King does (finally) have a good game, Burgess won’t be playing wing or midfield…

Good to see Lemmens back in, I guess. Long has been a bit of a bust, unfortunately (ok, but very inconsistent). Rosas had a pretty good game last week in the VFL and should be a decent replacement for Ace, but this too is a predictable and uninspiring change.
What would be inspiring change for you?

TBH, no change would inspire me at the moment. The team looked mentally deflated and hard to watch except 5-6 players. I suspect a couple of changes will make no difference now when players know finals are not happening and go through motions.

We tried 38 players.

I would probably like to see putting a couple more games into Moyle instead of Witts who looks like he needs a rest.
I would like to see Johnston get a game, but he struggled with his knee last week.
Sure, it would be nice for Burgess to get a game as a reward for effort, but will he make difference?
Chol seems to work now a bit harder in VFL, so put him there why not.
McLaughlin is probably not AFL standard despite scoring in VFL and I suspect is gone.
I would not even mind if Brock would get a taste.
Sharp is gone.
Budarick is still recovering.
Sexton forward means opposition will rebound even faster.
Graham, Stein, Blakely, Faulkhead? No.

Nah, no change really inspires/excites me. Moving forward to next season, new coach, new plan, new hope.

AFL R20: Gold Coast v Brisbane Lions Preview – Hopes for the final stretch
Looked at some key hopes for the last few games, have to get something out of them.
  • Young guns Humphrey, Andrew and Hollands need to be freed up and hopefully have one great game each before the end of the year
  • King needs to move up the ground more to give himself more space and get more touches, hopefully relax and get into games more easily
  • New midfield rotation is the way to go – can’t put too much workload on just 4 players
Humphrey had easily his worst game against GWS. He looks like he could do with a break, but I suspect he will play out the season to build him long-term.
IMO, he can't play significant minutes in the middle at the moment. A couple of pre-seasons and it's a different story.

Having Hollands as 2nd best wingman in the round and 2nd best on the ground (after Taylor) by Champion Data surprised me. Hopefully he plays out the season well. Classy use of the ball is exactly what we need.

Long is a curious case. He had great performances in Darwin in front of family and against Saints recently. The rest of games not so much looking like a bust. Could use some motivation (kick in the a**)?

No doubt more rotations in the middle is a good thing and Rowell needs to learn other positions. When oppositions decide to sit on him he's gone.

Let's see if King will roam more as indicated by coach.

Poor Casboult was supposed to be rested regularly. I bet he is starting to struggle with his knee. I would not mind watching Chol again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back