Review Round 15 vs Hawthorn Hawks @ The Bank - 25/06/23 - 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Mac Andrew, a cheeky rising star nomination perhaps? Didn't see much footy this weekend, don't know who else played well.
Love this from Mac. 6.14 left in the 3rd quarter he just gave Butler a shove and then gave Breust a second shove and gives Long and Powell an extra second to get back. When only a minute or 2 earlier he was in a really dangerous position inside 50 and should have been used. Took 4 contested marks as wellView attachment 1723121 IMG_20230626_222608_914.jpg

On Nokia C2 2nd Edition using BigFooty.com mobile app

Love this from Mac. 6.14 left in the 3rd quarter he just gave Butler a shove and then gave Breust a second shove and gives Long and Powell an extra second to get back. When only a minute or 2 earlier he was in a really dangerous position inside 50 and should have been used. Took 4 contested marks as wellView attachment 1723121View attachment 1723122

On Nokia C2 2nd Edition using BigFooty.com mobile app
He had a great game, overall. His best so far I’d say. Anyone watching can surely see his value and upside over someone like Caleb Graham is obvious.

Had a few nice kicks too. Just need his confidence to stay up and he’ll be ok.

Just had to get that win.
Big takeaways were:

Defensive gameplan functioning like a well-oiled machine, getting the best out of our interceptors

Inaccuracy makes everything else harder, even remotely decent teams can punish us for not capitalise when the wind is in our sails

New midfield mix could relieves pressure Rowell and Ando in big games to come

AFL: Gold Coast Suns vs Hawthorn Hawks Review

flanders looked way better than Davies.

Sorry Alex. I was a supporter but you had your go this year, back to the 2’s.

Flanders in for the rest of the year.

He looked good with the ball in hand, especialy in tight. Some good release handballs from congestion.
Davies a better tackler but that is about it at the moment.

Hopefully he gets a good run at it with midfield minutes and that no one brings back the Flanders hype thread b/c that surely did not work. Just not a hype type.

Say Flander plays another blinder this week, who comes out for Touk next week?

Has to be out of Swallow (not going to happen), Fiorini, Flanders, Humphrey (has been tucked away up forward though)if we are going like for like. Unless we want to pack the squad with inside mids again.

We've seen the last couple weeks Anderson spend time wing to solve a wing issue plus give others mid time who are suited there, I think the same could be done with touk as a fwd especially to build his match fitness back up. Think touk, swallow and Humphrey are better forwards than Ace so I reckon he probably misses. Might be that Ace forces rosas out though, whatever it is the competition for spots is healthy.

We've seen the last couple weeks Anderson spend time wing to solve a wing issue plus give others mid time who are suited there, I think the same could be done with touk as a fwd especially to build his match fitness back up. Think touk, swallow and Humphrey are better forwards than Ace so I reckon he probably misses. Might be that Ace forces rosas out though, whatever it is the competition for spots is healthy.
I noticed that Ace started a lot of times on the wing at CB. Touk could also play Ellis role.

Ace, Rosas and Holman provided the best inside 50 pressure in a long time.
I thought our moving zone defence was great. One we applied pressure Hawks short handballing went nowhere with lot of turnovers. Weight of numbers was good.

I noticed that Ace started a lot of times on the wing at CB. Touk could also play Ellis role.

Ace, Rosas and Holman provided the best inside 50 pressure in a long time.
I thought our moving zone defence was great. One we applied pressure Hawks short handballing went nowhere with lot of turnovers. Weight of numbers was good.
Still think Oea needs to get a lot more of the ball to play ahead of Hollands, Sharp and even Faukhead / Tsitas. They seem to play him against the weaker teams so his numbers should be better. After 9 games he us averaging 7.5 possession and has 2 goals. Berry would be delisted on those numbers. Yes he has improved but that kick in the last quarter on thr run to the opposition shows he has a lot of work to do on his disposal. At almost 22 and after 3 years on the list he needs to be assessed as a normal player not an international one now

Still think Oea needs to get a lot more of the ball to play ahead of Hollands, Sharp and even Faukhead / Tsitas. They seem to play him against the weaker teams so his numbers should be better. After 9 games he us averaging 7.5 possession and has 2 goals. Berry would be delisted on those numbers. Yes he has improved but that kick in the last quarter on thr run to the opposition shows he has a lot of work to do on his disposal. At almost 22 and after 3 years on the list he needs to be assessed as a normal player not an international one now
5 tackles with 3 tackles inside 50 this most recent game which is very good.

His rate of improvement has to be considered when projecting the player he may become

Not disagreeing with other aspects of what you mention though.

I would say Oea is progressing reasonably well. Getting stronger, better tank. Just 9 games, I suspect he is brought in to bring pressure, not to have great numbers. It worked well against Hawks together with Holman and Rosas. I thought King also chased well. Let's see how they go against Magpies. If Magpies re-bound ball easily we are screwed.

IMO, Berry is nowhere near Oea's disposal and decision making (DE 74 vs 56). Sure, Oea made a couple of mistakes but so e.g., Flanders who played well, when you talk about kicking straight to opposition.

Sharp and Hollands play different roles, don't bring pressure like Oea. Not really enjoying watching them both cruising in VFL. They both could learn from Oea regarding effort.

Will Oea stay on the list? No idea. Rogers could play similar role? Sometimes AFL gives exemption to stay one extra year as cat B.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back