Autopsy Round 6 vs North Melbourne @ The Bank - 23/04/23 - 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

This didn't age well...

PbQEGfr.jpg

Nice try his knee injury happened in the 3rd quarter 🤡

A Win is a Win as they say in the classics.
Yes we desperately needed it but gee the Roos were horrible.
NEGATIVES ( not as many as last week)
1 Touks Injury not in his best form but still a massive loss with no obvious replacement.
2 Still too many basic skill errors , wont get away with that against better opposition.
3 Need to take the game on a lot more ,too many short kicks to boundary line was frustrating to watch.
4 Lack of a quality small forward may well hurt us down the track.

POSITIVES ( lots more this week)
1 Weller possibly best game he has played for the Suns,credit to his commitment to getting his body right
following his need injury.
2 King at last his marks stuck and his kicking was superb.
2 Witts so important to stay fit for us to progress much further.
3 Humphrey - enormous potential just the player we needed potential midfielder who can go forward and score.
4 Ainsworth showed a good return to form.

Next weeks game against the tigers will give us a better indication where we are at.

King 12 goals 3 behinds for the season
Doing what he can to make up for Luko's wayward kicking for goal - 8 goals 10 behinds
It’s bizarre that a guy with such a beautiful field kick struggles so much in front of goal

Last edited:
Afte re-watching the game, I think the team deserves more credit than I originally thought watching from crowd. People talk about North being rubbish, but we made them look like that to a certain level. We worked hard and did put some good pressure on North and tall line-up worked pretty well. There was urgency when defending, a lot spoils.

I know people want players to take game on more often, but we decided to control the game against North zone and limit North scoring from turnovers. It worked most of the time. Sometimes we over did it. I would like to see a switch more often (looking from crowd). Some players still don't see teammates in good positions.

Not converting easy shots is still the major issue. It makes it so much more difficult for us and cost us a lot of effort. I suspect it will not go away unless confidence goes up. Chol is a typical example - missed 2 easy shots with game still on the line and then when it's over he kicks unbelievable goal.

Witts back was morale booster and looked good.

Miller - hoping it's just meniscus.

Andrew - interesting case. I think they want him in line-up for his kick from defence despite obvious mistakes. I suspect he will play next week like it or not.

Powell and Weller had great games. I thought Lemmens defensively was also good. Good to have them all back and finding form.

Long had finally a bit better game.

Macpherson made one stupid kick-in but otherwise he looks very good. I still can't believe it.

Collins and Ballard stepped up from previous games. Thanks God. We need them to perform well.

Rowell and Anderson played well.

Hurrah, Chol can use his body when he wants it.

Glad King had a scoring breakout game. It changes perception of people.

Only love for :bearface:

VFL
I give award to Burgess. He was toiling in the ruck with only a limited help and did more than well against genuine ruckmen. He also moved around and scored.

Uwland - yes for me, kick should be a weapon.

As I said I like ACE - need to score.

There were some nasty hits by Jed Anderson - loved it.

It would not surprise me if Brock play AFL probably next year - he progresses, works hard, good closing speed, good kick, still making mistakes.

Graham was solid.

Hollands was OK but still did not convince me to re-call him.

I agree, Sharp while he has good numbers, WTF how he plays.

Last edited:
Afte re-watching the game, I think the team deserves more credit than I originally thought watching from crowd. People talk about North being rubbish, but we made them look like that to a certain level. We worked hard and did put some good pressure on North and tall line-up worked pretty well. There was urgency when defending, a lot spoils.

I know people want players to take game on more often, but we decided to control the game against North zone and limit North scoring from turnovers. It worked most of the time. Sometimes we over did it. I would like to see a switch more often (looking from crowd). Some players still don't see teammates in good positions.

Not converting easy shots is still the major issue. It makes it so much more difficult for us and cost us a lot of effort. I suspect it will not go away unless confidence goes up. Chol is a typical example - missed 2 easy shots with game still on the line and then when it's over he kicks unbelievable goal.

Andrew - interesting case. I think they want him in line-up for his kick from defence despite obvious mistakes. I suspect he will play next week like it or not.

Powell and Weller had great games. I thought Lemmens defensively was also good. Good to have them all back and finding form.

Macpherson made one stupid kick-in but otherwise he looks very good. I still can't believe it.

Collins and Ballard stepped up from previous games. Thanks God. We need them to perform well.

VFL
I give award to Burgess. He was toiling in the ruck with only a limited help and did more than well against genuine ruckmen. He also moved around and scored.

It would not surprise me if Brock play AFL probably next year - he progresses, works hard, good closing speed, good kick, still making mistakes.

Graham was solid.

Good analysis particularly of the VFL game.
What struck me was how the VFL players were obviously instructed by the coach when with the ball they take the opposition on to break clear. They confront the tackler and if caught were prepared to handball to a waiting team mate. Many times they broke free and moved the ball forward quickly.
Great watching them play.

VFL

Graham was solid.

Atkinson also looked very good in the VFL, not against another try at the seniors

We have all shat on him in the past, but maybe its time for one final shot
Bringing in Atkins to give Weller some on ball rotation would sit well with me. We need some class on the outside.

Always felt that Atkins probably does well in good sides but struggles without a strong midfield to feed him. Worth a go, he's looking like a man playing for his career right now so we may as well capitalise.

Nice try his knee injury happened in the 3rd quarter 🤡
To be honest, it wasn't the first time I've thought Touk may be playing injured this year. We know he missed both preseason games and we heard those rumours just before the Essendon game that Touk may be a late out. He ended up playing but it's undeniable that his impact seems to have dropped off when compared to last year. Was it just form? Perhaps but we know he was injured as recently as preseason game number 2 so that obviously adds to the theory.

It was one particular moment yesterday (in the 2nd quarter I think) where he was on the deck trying to gather the ball and he just wasn't moving like a fully fit player should. I don't know if his current injury is at all related to the preseason injury but it all seems to be around the same area of the body in the hamstring/knee region. Any physio will tell you that if your movement is compromised in some way then you're more likely to get injured and unfortunately I think that may have been what happened here.

Hopefully it's a speedy recovery for Touk!

Atkinson also looked very good in the VFL, not against another try at the seniors
Players like Daicos, Sheezel, etc running around doing what they like with uncontested ball in the backline is all the rage at the moment. And with all our defenders charging in to every contest and running each other over without thinking, it might not be the worst thing to have someone waiting outside, capable of hitting a target. Any defender who can kick the football is worth discussing for a spot at this point. It’s not like Mac is defending someone anyway.

In saying that though, this is Rory Atkins we are talking about :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bringing in Atkins to give Weller some on ball rotation would sit well with me. We need some class on the outside.

Always felt that Atkins probably does well in good sides but struggles without a strong midfield to feed him. Worth a go, he's looking like a man playing for his career right now so we may as well capitalise.
I think Atkins has been okay when he's played in the AFL
The Atkins angst isn't about him or his football ability
It's about his WTF contract

King 12 goals 3 behinds for the season
Doing what he can to make up for Luko's wayward kicking for goal - 8 goals 10 behinds
I don't know why we don't have one of our players run behind the big sticks and call for a pass when Luko is taking a set shot. His field kicking is elite, so just turn his set shots into field kicking, seems easy enough.

I don't know why we don't have one of our players run behind the big sticks and call for a pass when Luko is taking a set shot. His field kicking is elite, so just turn his set shots into field kicking, seems easy enough.
Or we need a sign in the crowd saying “pass it to me”.

I think with goal kicking he might over think it, while field kicking is a lot more instinctual.

Anyone notice where Fiorini was playing? Pretty good game from him.

You wish he finished that relatively easy left foot snap and also hit Weller in the last few minutes, but otherwise pretty good.

Possession heat map looks pretty much midfield but 6/25 centre bounce attendance is not that many considering miller out half the game.

Has also kicked 2 goals 4 behinds in 2 full games and 2 sub games.

Is he playing a bit forward? 61A6384D-B861-4B10-94D9-7AD8D7A443C1.jpeg

Anyone notice where Fiorini was playing? Pretty good game from him.

You wish he finished that relatively easy left foot snap and also hit Weller in the last few minutes, but otherwise pretty good.

Possession heat map looks pretty much midfield but 6/25 centre bounce attendance is not that many considering miller out half the game.

Has also kicked 2 goals 4 behinds in 2 full games and 2 sub games.

Is he playing a bit forward?View attachment 1669553
Brayden was good
Ran well, broke some tackles
Linked up
I actually rewatched the game to look at him and Andrew in particular
At the ground Brayden looked good and confirmed on replay
Mac Andrew looked horrendous at the game but not so bad on TV-I guess we know that's often the case
AFL doesn't always translate well onto the small screen

Brayden was good
Ran well, broke some tackles
Linked up
I actually rewatched the game to look at him and Andrew in particular
At the ground Brayden looked good and confirmed on replay
Mac Andrew looked horrendous at the game but not so bad on TV-I guess we know that's often the case
AFL doesn't always translate well onto the small screen
I just finished a rewatch and was about to post the same thing re Brayden.
He looks lean and quicker than previous years. Now Norths midfield aren't fast by any stretch of the imagination but on multiple occasion Brayden burst from a stoppage and gained metres without disposal, I have never seen him do that before. I assume he must of worked on speed over the off season cause he looks in the best nick he has ever been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back