QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

So Coorparoo come into the comp in 2025 which makes it a 13 team comp !!!
13 team comp ,, cant be
So which club is dropping out ?
Any feedback please guys

Round 1 Results

I want to try bringing something different to this thread. Some people will see it as a colossal waste of time (and I’m certainly not going to argue otherwise) – but some others will get a kick out of it. Anyway, here goes….

There is a bloke on Twitter who runs an account called AFL_scorigami, in which he identifies how often a recent score has occurred in past AFL/VFL fixtures. It is completely trivial – but could offer a glimpse into the local code’s past. A few examples, and you’ll see what I’m on about:

Surfers Paradise 18-16-124 d Noosa 8-6-54
In the 8,400+ previous results, this score has never occurred before.

Aspley 10-21-81 d Broadbeach 7-7-49
This score has occurred three times previously:
1937 R6: South Brisbane 12-9-81 d Mayne 7-7-49
1958 R9: Wilston Grange 12-9-81 d Morningside 8-1-49
2007 R13: Morningside 11-15-81 d Mt Gravatt 5-19-49

Redland-Vic Point 22-8-140 d Maroochydore 7-8-50
This score has never occurred before.

Morningside 22-8-140 d Labrador 14-16-100
This score has occurred once previously:
1982 R5: Coorparoo 20-20-140 d Sandgate 15-10-100

Sherwood 20-21-141 d Mt Gravatt 6-5-41
This score has occurred once previously:
1996 R12: Mt Gravatt 21-15-141 d Mayne 6-5-41

Palm Beach Currumbin 18-10-118 d Wilston Grange 17-12-114
I’ve deliberately left this one to last. Surprisingly, this score has never occurred before. However, the margin of 4 points has moved this result into outright fourth place of Most Frequent Margins:
1st: 22 points – 145 times
2nd: 1 point - 142 times
2nd: 27 points - 142 times
4th: 4 points - 136 times
5th: 8 points - 135 times
5th: 20 points - 135 times
I like this never seen stats so intense, keep it going

I had some stuff to do this morning so I did not travel down to Broadbeach to watch my Cats ,, see they beat Labrador by some 5 goals which surprised me considering that had about 6 good players out ,,
So to get my fix of some live grassroots footy I went to the Mt Gravatt vs PBC game arriving there 5 minutes before half time .. score was 17 goals to 4 goals ,, come full time it was 33 goals to 6 goals ,,,
Wow ,, is a sad situation yes ,,and one can say well done to all involved at the Vultures to be competing this season and fielding all sides and womens teams.
Palmy AFL recruits in Hall and Hickey were just unreal ,, which they should be against todays competition ,, but for the clubs that take Palmy on soon they need to work out how they can nullify these 2 guys ,,

I had some stuff to do this morning so I did not travel down to Broadbeach to watch my Cats ,, see they beat Labrador by some 5 goals which surprised me considering that had about 6 good players out ,,
So to get my fix of some live grassroots footy I went to the Mt Gravatt vs PBC game arriving there 5 minutes before half time .. score was 17 goals to 4 goals ,, come full time it was 33 goals to 6 goals ,,,
Wow ,, is a sad situation yes ,,and one can say well done to all involved at the Vultures to be competing this season and fielding all sides and womens teams.
Palmy AFL recruits in Hall and Hickey were just unreal ,, which they should be against todays competition ,, but for the clubs that take Palmy on soon they need to work out how they can nullify these 2 guys ,,
Who are the 6 good players you mention that are to come in for Broadbeach?

Wowee. Going to be some big percentage gains for those who play the Vultures twice this season….
If a side misses finals due to another sides percentages or playing MtGravatt twice it will open up another can of worms.

The League needs to be held accountable for this as blind Freddy could tell you that MtGravatt were going to struggle based on their list. Add onto that the normal wear and tear and injuries it’s only a matter of time before there is a 300 points loss maybe.

Not good for the look of footy in QLD main competition.

Not tipping all this on the poor volunteers that have tried to drag the club back from the scrap heap but common sense has gone out the window leaving them in QAFL Competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a side misses finals due to another sides percentages or playing MtGravatt twice it will open up another can of worms.

The League needs to be held accountable for this as blind Freddy could tell you that MtGravatt were going to struggle based on their list. Add onto that the normal wear and tear and injuries it’s only a matter of time before there is a 300 points loss maybe.

Not good for the look of footy in QLD main competition.

Not tipping all this on the poor volunteers that have tried to drag the club back from the scrap heap but common sense has gone out the window leaving them in QAFL Competition.
I agree. Someone needs to show some leadership and make the decision. The status quo helps no one.

Last edited:
You can’t change a comp once it has started. The issue starts before then and every competition is compromised all the way up to the top level. Swings and roundabouts on every level. Blind Freddy and not so Blind Freddy ;-) can see that surely?

Would have been too late by then but a decision should have been made after their 25 goal loss to the u18 academy side and then an 11 goal lost to a div 1 side in the praccy matches. There is only so many thrashings a team can take before players leave. Even Sandgates dwellings at the bottom of the ladder here for a few years never had this many massive losses

They also have Labrador next week but at home. So they have to then play at least two of those teams again away. I shudder to think of round 4 when they have Redlands at Redlands. So potentially 3 100-150+ plus losses at home before they have even played away.

Would have been too late by then but a decision should have been made after their 25 goal loss to the u18 academy side and then an 11 goal lost to a div 1 side in the praccy matches. There is only so many thrashings a team can take before players leave. Even Sandgates dwellings at the bottom of the ladder here for a few years never had this many massive losses

They also have Labrador next week but at home. So they have to then play at least two of those teams again away. I shudder to think of round 4 when they have Redlands at Redlands. So potentially 3 100-150+ plus losses at home before they have even played away.
Agree

Injury attrition as the season progresses will make it worse for them, as they haven't the reserves talent depth to cover for senior standard players.

If the QAFL want them to have some semblance of competitiveness going forward, some players are going to have to be found somewhere during the season.

Only band aid i can think of is FIFO some NT players, if they can afford it. (and NT academy kids that are up to it, at Lions/QAFL expense?)

Last edited:
You can’t change a comp once it has started. The issue starts before then and every competition is compromised all the way up to the top level. Swings and roundabouts on every level. Blind Freddy and not so Blind Freddy ;-) can see that surely?
Yep, it’s only round 3. We all forget about Redlands being non competitive in early 2000s and Sherwood not winning a game in 2 seasons late 2000s. They didn’t finish last in 2023

Yep, it’s only round 3. We all forget about Redlands being non competitive in early 2000s and Sherwood not winning a game in 2 seasons late 2000s. They didn’t finish last in 2023

Sherwood ultimately didn’t enter the NEAFL as a result and yes remember Redlands struggling but I reckon these days there’s more viable clubs to play at QAFL level so it’s no good for anyone the current situation.

There’s an argument for a 3 point penalty for “ established” players (maybe over 21 and 50 games experience or something) to prevent the raid like what happened to the vultures. Obviously some internal issues at dittmer but imo rather ironically the other Brisbane clubs smelt blood and took advantage.

Not sure either of them started with losses like this Doc. Understand during the year some teams cop some hidings but to start first two rounds after warning signals were there in preseason not a good sign.

Tippers ;
well done guys ... 14 tippers picked the card ,, thats like 44% of total tipsters..
The leaderboard is a traffic jam !!

11; ALL OR NOTHING, SIMPLE SAUCE, BOOPS, DEZARIO, STILL ME, THUNDERDOC, TOUCAN SOUP, BIG E, WESTERMAN, TIME TO RETIRE

10; BUNYIP, NWO, CLUELESS, SMY, PUGS, UP IT STUMPY,

9; LONGY-ZILLMERE, STUYD, SWITCHING THE PLAY, BUD 63, MAGPIE BOY, 2010 PREMIER, FOOTY BOY, AJ8, UP TO BRIZZ

8; LAGGING BEHIND, MILLER , BIG TEX, GOALKICKER, DJONNO

7; MOBBS , NOOSA BOY

VIC LAD ;3

Injury attrition as the season progresses will make it worse for them, as they haven't the reserves talent depth to cover for senior standard players.

looks like they only have about 6 senior standard players, and after that she drops away pretty quickly. So not sure there is a huge difference between the bottom 6 in the 1s and the next 12 in the 2s?

Not sure either of them started with losses like this Doc. Understand during the year some teams cop some hidings but to start first two rounds after warning signals were there in preseason not a good sign.

think you will find in the early 2000's and again in 09/10, there were teams getting pumped by 150+ on a regular basis in the QAFL. Even Aspley in 2009 were on the end of some big hidings.

Certainly the case in early 2000's, maybe not as bad in 2009/10. Having said that, looks like Mt Gravatt might lose 18 rounds by 100+, that would be something new.

Following on from Miller1971 comment:
Prior to last weekend, a margin of 150 or more has occurred 124 times. The first was in 1908 when Ipswich smashed West Moreton. It has been 8 years since it last occurred (2016).
The most prominent years for thumpings were 1990 (13 times) when Caloundra was given very little support, and 2003 (10 times) predominantly due to a series of poor results from Mayne and Labrador. I think it is fair to say that Labrador is an important member of the QAFL today.
1713145790192.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back