Preview Qualifying Final 1- Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants, Thursday 7th September, 19.20pm, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that there really is no harm to our finals run by losing last night, as we get home final, MCG final, then maybe neutral GF against crows or swans.

It's just that the team looks so flat. We must be carrying injuries.

A few too many players underdone. Bring in Dawson for Mummy. I'd personally love to see Taranto slot in somewhere too. I hear he was our best player this morning too.
Any other news about this mornings game?

I agree that there really is no harm to our finals run by losing last night, as we get home final, MCG final, then maybe neutral GF against crows or swans.

It's just that the team looks so flat. We must be carrying injuries.
If you look back at our wins, apart from the Melbourne game and maybe 1 or 2 others, we scraped over the line and really probably didnt deserve to win. Take all those and the draw out and we would have finished bottom 4.

Something is not right and there has not been a time this year where i have felt confident of a win.

I just dont know how they can flick a switch now.

In the media they are comparing it to the dogs last year. Yes they won after playing all games. But their switch was flicked this week. Ours didnt

Hope im wrong though

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not here to troll - understand you'd be disappointed in the result and your team's efforts...as Crows supporters we've been in that position many times over the past 20 years!

My observations as an outsider would be along the following lines:
  • Mumford out and Lobb to first ruck to address the height/mobility issue that plenty of others have mentioned;
  • Deledio out - you can understand someone taking a little while to get up to speed after a long layoff but he just looks a shadow of his former self and I'd be putting him on ice until next year to see if you can salvage something from his contract then. I think you're better off playing younger guys (Taranto, Kennedy, Perryman) on both performance and experience grounds.
  • Your midfield - apart from Kelly - was well down but I couldn't see too many personnel changes there (how close is Griffen?)...just hope that the likes of Shiel, Ward, Scully get more of the ball and are more damaging with it. Whitfield needs to HTFU.
  • Was underwhelmed by Wilson and Williams last night - thought they'd create a lot of drive for you but they were very sporadic. I think you need a better intercept marking player in your defence that can feed the likes of W&W...maybe I'm underselling Haynes but Davis, Corr and Tomlinson just didn't impose any aerial dominance on the match. Lobb - and only rarely - was the only one who took the odd big grab.
  • I'd structure up your team along the following lines to make it younger and quicker:
FF: Taranto (or Devon Smith) -- Patton -- Himmelberg
HF: Greene -- Tomlinson -- Ward
C: Scully -- Shiel -- Whitfield
HB: Williams -- Corr -- Haynes
FB: Wilson -- Davis -- Shaw
FOLL: Lobb -- Kelly -- Coniglio
INT: Hopper -- De Boer -- Griffen -- Kennedy

Out: Mumford, Deledio, Cameron
In: Taranto, Griffen, Kennedy

Good luck for the rest of the season.

I think you need a better intercept marking player in your defence that can feed the likes of W&W...maybe I'm underselling Haynes but Davis, Corr and Tomlinson just didn't impose any aerial dominance on the match

More or less agree on most (I'd keep Lids) but disagree here - our guys are very good at intercept marking but the problem was that the ball was so clean coming out of the centre that there was not much these guys could do.

It's easy-ish to intercept a rushed kick forward, as the Adelaide defenders demonstrated. It's a lot harder to try and intercept a kick to a leading forward or one where a player can make a decision about where to put it.

In a game where our midfield is providing better pressure Davis and Tomlinson and even Corr are very good and aggressive about their marking.

Many don't deserve games next week includeouts;
Mumford. Hopper. Tomlinsons. Himmelberg.

Ins. Dawson. Taranto. Griffen. Smith

Quite A few blokes need to lift.

We still lack the MDB's of the team...the guys who get in the contest through pure hard work. Too many times we are caught out because [our] blokes dont want to do the unrewarded running (toby was probably the exception...his running numbers did not convert into posessions and goals). It shows when we play a well drilled team like adelaide or geelong where they have less talented blokes getting a game because they work harder.
Re: the bit in bold italics ---
During one of the breaks Ch.7 made a point about the two midfields by showing a replay of a throw-in on the W wing. After the ruck contest the Crows mids spread and took off like hares, putting 15-20m on 4 or 5 orange-white guernseys who were static. The difference was remarkable. A footy game is extremely complicated and there are many other factors, but it was noticeable that your mids did not run to cover defensively when we gained possession.
Maybe they were dispirited by the scoreline and I have not seen enough of your blokes to know if it's an ongoing problem (is it?).
The Crows might have less talent, as you say, but their willingness to spread and run for teammates (often without getting the ball) has been a strong team emphasis all year.

In his post-game presser Cameron bemoaned the fact that you lost on the back of 20 minutes of footy, by which I suppose he meant the second quarter. This blatant denial of what happened by your coach is a big problem for GWS, if the players also believe that. You can't get 55-11 points down at half-time (and kick only 5 goals to 3/4 time) on the back of 20 minutes of footy. Your losses to Geelong in R23 and us last night might be saying something about Cameron himself, given the undeniable talent that you have.

To GWS' credit, I thought the game was played in a very tough-but-fair spirit. It was very touching to see your Davis and our Jacobs interact post-match. Such an open display of emotion and sympathy for Jacobs' loss sets a great example to young men all over Oz. Phil Davis is a quality bloke, our loss! The respect between Mumford and Jacobs post-game was also a highlight, in fact kudos to your blokes for seeking out Jacobs and Smith to offer condolences/encouragement.

Finally, and maybe most contentiously, until last night I've been a vehement critic of Toby Greene for his flashes of (loss of) temper and the face-sprig-plant to that Dogs player on a handball receive, for which he's been suspended and/or fined.
I didn't see him do or say anything last night to justify my severe criticism of him. Indeed, he showed flashes of flair and brilliance and ran hard all night, consistent with GWS' tough-but-fair game last night, and I think I have misjudged him. Apologies.

Last edited:
I spent some time reflecting on last night. I cant see any way we're going to be a threat this year sadly, but of course I'd be depighted to be proven wrong. I dont give up easily but it's time to face reality. I look at what happened last night and what the guys did in the QF last year and there's just no comparison.

We were beaten last night comprehensively, not by a more talented side, although the Crows are very talented. Rather by a side whose players know, believe in and trust each other to a level we just dont right now. I think whoever plays them in the GF faces a huge challenge, I dont doubt they'll make it.

I've no doubt that the lack of stability in the playing group hasn't helped, and the fact we were much better in finals last year suggests there's not much wrong with the culture at the club. I do genuinely believe the guys are working as hard as you can but it just cant be forced. We just didn't find those last few percentage points of improvement you need to be successful in finals.
I dont think that can be fixed in the short term, it developes over time and it's up to the players. The Coaches can only create the right environment.

I wouldn't change too much though, as I've said I think looking for a quick fix could be disastrous. Fair enough to look at whether it's time to play Dawson, move Rory or consider a smaller structure as others have suggested. Would just add that changes now probably need to be about where the team should be at, next year.

That said we play out this year as best we can, and as dlanod suggested we may win a semi cos we're still a good side.

For me I will go the Semi next week, and to a PF if we make it. Certainly the GF but that might be a bridge too far.
My commitment doesn't change, I will attend as many games as I can again, and Canberra particularly was a good discovery for me this year. I dont have a lot of time for supporters who cant stay thick when the gratification isn't instant. Not many deserve that criticism I know and BF is also partly for venting.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mostly I think we were out-coached, firstly at the selection table and then during the game when we reacted to the change in game flow, weather conditions and ineffective forward entries by continuing to do the same thing.
There was serious effort in the first qtr, most of the game really by the bulk of the playing group, (the same guys showing the lack of spread were also showing Lachie and Tom's GPS data).
I am hopefully the "confronting review" of the game will be focused on this given it's now happened 2 weeks in a row.

Ok so im trying to look at some positives and im honestly thinking this is not a bad thing for us

I think last year was not a coincidence and the double bye does not help teams. It disadvantages them. The only help it does is allow injured players extra time to get back.

We now play port or west coast at spotless, which are the only teams in the 8 at the moment we have seemed to be able to beat.
We get to fix up a few things that didnt work, and it means we wouldnt have to play the swans until a GF if we made it.

Honestly playing at ANZ with turf shipped up from Melbourne is a terrible idea. Imagine all the grass movement and the injuries that can cause.

However if we win next week we get a practise on the MCG which we have not had a lot of chance to do this year. Yes that game would be mightly tough. But hey, beat richmond or geelong at the G in front of 80k of their fans, then the next week we can beat anyone. Especially since that team will most likely be Sydney or Adelaide who are not from Melbourne !!

Thumbs up

Lets do this

I think our only chance in a GF is against another non-vic side. How do we beat that bias at the G next week? Presuming we CAN beat PortCoast.

If you look back at our wins, apart from the Melbourne game and maybe 1 or 2 others, we scraped over the line and really probably didnt deserve to win. Take all those and the draw out and we would have finished bottom 4.

Something is not right and there has not been a time this year where i have felt confident of a win.

I just dont know how they can flick a switch now.

In the media they are comparing it to the dogs last year. Yes they won after playing all games. But their switch was flicked this week. Ours didnt

Hope im wrong though

We did have lots of injuries.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-08/could-exdog-be-a-giant-finals-bolter

Says Griff got through the game playing at HB, had ice on his ankle after

Also says SJ is a chance after finding some ball in the centre square against Adelaide's reserve team, seriously. Clearly what we need is a guy who comes off with his ankle iced after playing 70% game time in his first game in 5 months, and a guy who can't cope with the heat and pace at AFL level any longer. No denying their status in the game, but their status for the next game has to be questionable at best?

Should be picked

Mummy clearly not 100%, Jacobs bathed him sadly

Rory plays ruck well enough to do it, if Ryder is the next oppo ruck we clearly concentrate on how to shark off his taps, WC it totally depends on who plays. Dawson is capable and willing for sure, but playing Rory as main ruck allows us to keep his marking ability and bring in a smaller player

Does Lobb have the'weight' of a ruckman? Not being funny, actually asking. What do people think of big Dawson?
He didn't in 2015, he does now I think. Dawson definitely an option as well. I'm not sure who's the best tap ruckman.

Re: the bit in bold italics ---
During one of the breaks Ch.7 made a point about the two midfields by showing a replay of a throw-in on the W wing. After the ruck contest the Crows mids spread and took off like hares, putting 15-20m on 4 or 5 orange-white guernseys who were static. The difference was remarkable. A footy game is extremely complicated and there are many other factors, but it was noticeable that your mids did not run to cover defensively when we gained possession.
Maybe they were dispirited by the scoreline and I have not seen enough of your blokes to know if it's an ongoing problem (is it?).
The Crows might have less talent, as you say, but their willingness to spread and run for teammates (often without getting the ball) has been a strong team emphasis all year.

In his post-game presser Cameron bemoaned the fact that you lost on the back of 20 minutes of footy, by which I suppose he meant the second quarter. This blatant denial of what happened by your coach is a big problem for GWS, if the players also believe that. You can't get 55-11 points down at half-time (and kick only 5 goals to 3/4 time) on the back of 20 minutes of footy. Your losses to Geelong in R23 and us last night might be saying something about Cameron himself, given the undeniable talent that you have.

To GWS' credit, I thought the game was played in a very tough-but-fair spirit. It was very touching to see your Davis and our Jacobs interact post-match. Such an open display of emotion and sympathy for Jacobs' loss sets a great example to young men all over Oz. Phil Davis is a quality bloke, our loss! The respect between Mumford and Jacobs post-game was also a highlight, in fact kudos to your blokes for seeking out Jacobs and Smith to offer condolences/encouragement.

Finally, and maybe most contentiously, until last night I've been a vehement critic of Toby Greene for his flashes of (loss of) temper and the face-sprig-plant to that Dogs player on a handball receive, for which he's been suspended and/or fined.
I didn't see him do or say anything last night to justify my severe criticism of him. Indeed, he showed flashes of flair and brilliance and ran hard all night, consistent with GWS' tough-but-fair game last night, and I think I have misjudged him. Apologies.
The footage you mention is damninng. Surely that comes up in the review and players are shamed for it. Those things were the difference

Those of you suggesting mummy should be dropped are kidding yourselves. Barring injury will be one of the first picked

LC basically confirmed that in the presser

Let's move on to realistic ways to change the make up of the line up

Those of you suggesting mummy should be dropped are kidding yourselves. Barring injury will be one of the first picked

LC basically confirmed that in the presser

Let's move on to realistic ways to change the make up of the line up
The suggestion is he is injured, if fit he plays as he is a guy you back in for sure, but finals is no place for a player who isn't fit enough to play their "normal" game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back