Review Qualifying Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised how few votes for Hipwood, was excellent (goal kicking aside).

Such a good win, we should always have too much for them but good to do it so comfortably in the end and stop the momentum they had in the 2nd/3rd
Tonight's one of the few nights I could have voted for 10 players quite happily. So many played very well across the board.

Ports Nuclear bomb theme didn't go to plan.
muppet-show-muppets.gif

Gotta admit. I was not happy they were playing country roads before the game, I thought it was tempting fate and I the first half I was worried my superstition was well founded. Happy to be proved wrong twice in 30 seconds.

Wilmott very good, Rayner a finals Beast, Clugga a Rolls Royce (the second coming of Nigel Lappin).

Surprised there is not more love for Harris, I thought his intercept marking tonight made the AA sel ctors look foolish.

It's easy to see where we've improved as a team.

Hipwood and Cameron running down the opposition to tackle in the back half would've been unheard of a couple of years ago.

Wilmot and Fletcher have added the dare of youth that has invigorated the whole group. Rayner also playing like a big bully kid but now starting to execute when he gets it.

McKenna and Ah Chee are guns.

Daniher is injury free.

They had everything go against them tonight so I'm not getting carried away just yet . It would be a dream come true if the Blues managed to get over Melbourne but just can't see it as a possibility so get prepared for a do or die Prelim.

It's easy to see where we've improved as a team.

Hipwood and Cameron running down the opposition to tackle in the back half would've been unheard of a couple of years ago.

Wilmot and Fletcher have added the dare of youth that has invigorated the whole group. Rayner also playing like a big bully kid but now starting to execute when he gets it.

McKenna and Ah Chee are guns.

Daniher is injury free.

They had everything go against them tonight so I'm not getting carried away just yet . It would be a dream come true if the Blues managed to get over Melbourne but just can't see it as a possibility so get prepared for a do or die Prelim.
Except the umpires. Didn't want to go there a distract from the team performance but the umpires were really s**t tonight. Deservedly booed off the pitch.

Except for a couple of 5 minute bursts from Port we bossed that game big time... and when those bursts did happen we steadied and took back control.

I am in awe of McCluggage's running power, just never stops.

Fletcher and Wilmot are both still only 19:eek::D, both know how to grab big moments by the testicles already, we also have another pretty handy 19 year old out of action.

I went with, in no order, Cam, Clugg, Wilmott, Fletcher and Joe as my fab five.

The most impressive thing about Fletch’s game was how he stood up in big moments. 12 games in and he was the second highest rated player on the field.

I won’t say the umpiring was a disgrace, one umpire in particular was a disgrace. The club should make sure he never umpires one of our games again. I would hate to be an umpire when one of my colleagues is that bad/biased.
Lol number 22 ,lucky his game changing clangers had no bearing on the outcome.
I got to say how much fun it was to be on the front row fence
So much fun banging on the panel Brisbane bang bang bang
What a great night

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except the umpires. Didn't want to go there a distract from the team performance but the umpires were really s**t tonight. Deservedly booed off the pitch.
I know everyone's down on the umps. I didn't think they were too bad tonight. Obviously I'm resigned to Charlie and Joe not being able to buy a free kick. That's hardly a new thing. The worst thing that happened to Joe was Channel 7 replaying his stage a couple of years ago over and over again and ever since then he literally has to get his head pulled off to get a free. Charlie gets scragged nearly every time he gets near the ball ,something the umps seem to think is fine.

Except for a couple of 5 minute bursts from Port we bossed that game big time... and when those bursts did happen we steadied and took back control.

I am in awe of McCluggage's running power, just never stops.

Fletcher and Wilmot are both still only 19:eek::D, both know how to grab big moments by the testicles already, we also have another pretty handy 19 year old out of action.
Fletchers running power for a 19 year old is insane tbh. He is another who just keeps running as well.

I know everyone's down on the umps. I didn't think they were too bad tonight. Obviously I'm resigned to Charlie and Joe not being able to buy a free kick. That's hardly a new thing. The worst thing that happened to Joe was Channel 7 replaying his stage a couple of years ago over and over again and ever since then he literally has to get his head pulled off to get a free. Charlie gets scragged nearly every time he gets near the ball ,something the umps seem to think is fine.
#22 was shocking.
I would wager most of the obvious missed frees we didn’t get were when #22 was the controlling ump. At one stage he had paid 12-1 free kicks in favour of Port. He kept them in it early on IMO.

Suitcase was amazing

Jaspa played like a seasoned vet not a rookie

Joe and Hippy worked hard.

Cam was X factor and Bailey was lovely early and Kiddy, Connor and Morty ran so bloody hard.

That one umpire that paid 12-2 free kicks against needs to never umpire the rest of the year.

Since when can’t you be loud at the football. Was harassed by security for giving it to the port fans. No swearing or anything but giving it to port by singing ‘we could live for a thousand years’ and singing along to our songs.
Absolutely disgraceful stuff from our security tonight. Young bloke attacked by port fans near full time.
It’s a finals game let people have banter and go their hardest with no swearing or any inappropriate comments.

#22 was shocking.
I would wager most of the obvious missed frees we didn’t get were when #22 was the controlling ump. At one stage he had paid 12-1 free kicks in favour of Port. He kept them in it early on IMO.
The umpiring was worse for the Swans.

Yeah that guy 22 was clueless. Unfortunately we have 3 players who the umps just don't like paying frees to. The other one is Zorko.

I went with, in no order, Cam, Clugg, Wilmott, Fletcher and Joe as my fab five.

The most impressive thing about Fletch’s game was how he stood up in big moments. 12 games in and he was the second highest rated player on the field.

I won’t say the umpiring was a disgrace, one umpire in particular was a disgrace. The club should make sure he never umpires one of our games again. I would hate to be an umpire when one of my colleagues is that bad/biased.

That’s Nathan Williams, he’s the worst umpire in the league by a mile. It’s not just us, If you’ve ever seen a game with a tonne of bad decisions it’s usually him umpiring - does a lot of dogs games funnily, go figure.

Have been on him for years, yet here we are still.

Last edited:
Back