Preview Qualifying Final: West Coast v Hawthorn, Domain Stadium, Fri, 6.20pm (WA) 8.20pm (AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad in a way that Hawks didn't play us at full strength last time as they didn't get to play against our normal midfield set up. Hard one to pick as we will have our ruck division back and are hard to beat at home, but on the other hand Hawk's are a finals team and no what needs to be done

Clarko is a genius as coach but it is a unique situation, Simpson would know his ways intimately and will the Rattan and Bolton situation affect them?

Looks that way spudmaster

Gonna be a cracking match up my friend. I'm quietly confident but in no way over zealous in my confidence.

Best of luck.
Haha Biggie. And to you too, my friend.
A Grand Final preview, with any luck :thumbsu:
I feel much the same - hopeful more than anything.
So long as Hodgey isn't piloting the plane...:eek: :p

P.S Looking forward to finally watching footy without worrying about which players are spudding it up in a certain points-scoring competition :mad:

Don't get me wrong, the troll-filled posts are humorous, but I thought they belonged in the bay.
That said, I don't frequent the MB much at all so I'm clearly behind the times.

What's the weather forecast for the game at the minute?
I saw spangher is fit so Hawks flag in the bag!

I think the Hawks win. Bulk finals experience, veterans who get the job done and they fight dirty, which is what you want when the heat is up. Eagles advantage will be run and carry from half back hitting up the lead up forwards. Lake doesn't have a natural match up which pushes Gibson away from his third man up role. The other way, Cyril will tear us one if given a sniff, Eagles have no match up for him. Match of the round. Eagles by 73

I saw spangher is fit so Hawks flag in the bag!

I think the Hawks win. Bulk finals experience, veterans who get the job done and they fight dirty, which is what you want when the heat is up. Eagles advantage will be run and carry from half back hitting up the lead up forwards. Lake doesn't have a natural match up which pushes Gibson away from his third man up role. The other way, Cyril will tear us one if given a sniff, Eagles have no match up for him. Match of the round. Eagles by 73
I'm not looking forward to the remaining three matches then :eek:

Current Hawthorn listed players who have played in the finals

Roughead
Lewis
Suckling
Mitchell
Gibson
McEvoy
Duryea
Burgoyne
Hill
Whitecross
Birchall
Hodge
Smith
Lake
Ceglar
Gunston
Hale
Breust
Stratton
Schoenmakers
Shiels
Spangher
Puopolo
Langford
Simpkin
Rioli
Anderson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Done the maths on the Eagles final experience.

12 - Wellingham (all with Collingwood)
11 - Butler
7 - Priddis, Hurn
6 - Hill (2 with WCE), Ellis (all with Hawthorn)
5 - Darling, Gaff, Kennedy, LeCras, Masten, McGinnity, Naitanui, Rosa, Schofield, Selwood, Shuey
0 - Cripps, Hutchings, McGovern, Nelson, Newman, Sheed, Sheppard, Sinclair, Yeo

There are 104 total finals appearances in our squad. For comparison, consider Luke Hodge (18), Sam Mitchell (17), Shaun Burgoyne (27), Grant Birchall (17) and Jordan Lewis (17) have combined for 96 alone. If you throw in Rioli (13), Roughhead (15) and Gibson (17), that's 141 from a handful of players.

There's several more with between 13 and 17, but continuing down the Hawthorn list was only adding to the stress of finals so I called it there.

Done the maths on the Eagles final experience.

12 - Wellingham (all with Collingwood)
11 - Butler
7 - Priddis, Hurn
6 - Hill (2 with WCE), Ellis (all with Hawthorn)
5 - Darling, Gaff, Kennedy, LeCras, Masten, McGinnity, Naitanui, Rosa, Schofield, Selwood, Shuey
0 - Cripps, Hutchings, McGovern, Nelson, Newman, Sheed, Sheppard, Sinclair, Yeo

There are 104 total finals appearances in our squad. For comparison, consider Luke Hodge (18), Sam Mitchell (17), Shaun Burgoyne (27), Grant Birchall (17) and Jordan Lewis (17) have combined for 96 alone. If you throw in Rioli (13), Roughhead (15) and Gibson (17), that's 141 from a handful of players.

There's several more with between 13 and 17, but continuing down the Hawthorn list was only adding to the stress of finals so I called it there.
Finals experience is good to have but ultimately won't win you the game.

Geelong had a truckload of finals experience the last 3 years but only won 1 out of 5 finals.

Finals experience is good to have but ultimately won't win you the game.

Geelong had a truckload of finals experience the last 3 years but only won 1 out of 5 finals.
Agreed, but the number for whom it will be their first final could be telling. I think the difference between 3-10 finals played would be negligible, but the first few strike me as pretty important in terms of how you manage your nerves and not getting overawed. When finals are as routine as they've been to so many of the Hawks 22, I think they'd have a pretty good handle on the emotional side of it. Hopefully doesn't, but might see it factor in for a few of the 'debutants' on that list.

Hawks to don the power ranger for this? I forget how finals work. Are wings a chance?

West-Coast-2014.gif

Navy Shorts

Hawthorn-2015.gif

White Shorts

Eagles back 6 looks a bit unsettled to me. Butler, Schofield, Wellingham and McGovern have all missed games of late.
Having said that I think the Eagles have a better idea of what their best 22 looks like than we do. Can't wait...

Lol @ Wellingham. Spud won't have anywhere to hide come next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back