Question for our Historians

Remove this Banner Ad

Today's discussions on the merits of Peter Daicos and "Dids":rolleyes: reminded me that Peter Daicos tore us apart in the 3rd quarter of a North v Collingwood game at Arden St one day in the 1980s(?).

IIRC, he was playing on young up and comer Doug Smith who was doing quite nicely on him when he cut loose after half time. My recollection is he kicked 6 goals in the 3rd quarter.

Is that correct? When was the game? What was the final score? How many did Daicos kick for the game? And what is the most number of goals any single player has kicked against us in one quarter?

Mr R - the game was Rd 5 1982 on Saturday 24 April at Arden St -

Scores -
Nth Melb 4.5 7.14 13.16 19.22.136
Coll'wood 5.2 7.5 14.11 18.11.119

Goals NM Blight 4 Carman 4 J Krakouer 3
Goals Coll Daicos 7
Crowd 23,405

I was at the game and I believe it was 6 in the 3rd qtr for Daicos but this was the first "big" game that both the Krakouers were on fire. Remember Collingwood were coming off the 1981 Grand Final loss and were 1 and 9 when Tommy Hafey got sacked so this game was in the middle of their bad patch.

Not sure on the most goals in a qtr against NM bt I do know Doug Wade kicked 7 out of 8 goals in the last qtr of NM v Coll at Arden St in Rd 21 1974.
He had 1 to 3 qtr time so finished with 8 for the game.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, KickItAnywhere34. I recall the game much better thanks to your excellent summary. It was a ripper game wasn't it. Imagine 23,400 people packed into Arden St.

It was probably the same game where Phil Carman was highly elated that he had beaten his old side and made a contribution to the victory. He played a lot of Army Reserve games for us through form and injury.

I assume someone else was moved onto Daicos late in the 3rd or for the last 1/4. Do you recall who it was?

Don't remember Keka kicking a bag in a qtr v Coill wood - you may be confused with Doug Wade v Coll (see my first post) - Keka may have kicked 4 in a qtr v Sth Melb in 1974 the game he kicked 10 in.

Mr R - interestingly Carman played 13 games for 27 goals in that one year - perhaps more than you thought as I think he missed about 5 or 6 with a hamstring and played a couple in the twos.

As for who was moved on to Daicos I will have to check my DVD of the highlights but I think it was either Keith Greig or John Law.

I was at the game and I believe it was 6 in the 3rd qtr for Daicos but this was the first "big" game that both the Krakouers were on fire.

Although it wasn't such a big game, I seem to recall that the Krakouer boys absolutely carved up the Swans in their first game at Arden St in Round 2.

Phil Carman kicked 6 in the reserves that day as well.

I still think that our forward line in '82 of Blight, Carman and P.Krakouer is probably second only to the '93 version of Longmire, Carey, and McAdam in North sides that I've seen.

With all respect desie I hardly think a Swans game in those days was a "big" game compared to Collingwood - they were a huge rival from 77 through 82 and had come off a period of 4 grand finals in 5 years. Thats why I used the phrase "big".
Yes the Krakouers were good against the Swans but you don't get noticed in those games that were the 3rd game on the Channel 7 and Channel 2 replays compared to the Coll game which was the live game throughout the country on Ch 7 and the main replay game on Ch 7 and Ch 2 that night - that was my point. :D

Mr R speaking of crowds try these three - if you think 23,400 was big - I went to all of these ones - how they fitted into Arden St is beyond me - thank goodness I had a reserved seat -

Rd 5 1978 v Coll 31,424 (win 124 to 115 - John Burns NO 11 - 7 goals - Snake Baker 5).
Rd 3 1979 v Coll 29,747 (win 127 to 99 - 9 goal last qtr Blight 7 goals).
Rd 18 1979 v Carl 28,902 (loss 115 to 141)

I was also at Princes Park (Optus/Visy) the day that Ross Glendinning kicked the winning goal just on the siren v Carlton in Rd 7 1979 and would you believe they crammed 39,411 into Carltons ground that day. The same year 1979 in Rd 10 Carl v Coll crammed - wait for it 46,106 into Carlton - the day Magro hit Jezza.

Geez I miss those local grounds.

With all respect desie I hardly think a Swans game in those days was a "big" game compared to Collingwood - they were a huge rival from 77 through 82 and had come off a period of 4 grand finals in 5 years. Thats why I used the phrase "big".
Yes the Krakouers were good against the Swans but you don't get noticed in those games that were the 3rd game on the Channel 7 and Channel 2 replays compared to the Coll game which was the live game throughout the country on Ch 7 and the main replay game on Ch 7 and Ch 2 that night - that was my point. :D

I'm aware of that, I was just musing ;)

Living in Sydney, I can tell you that game being live on 7 from Arden St would have been just about the highlight of my year as a small boy. It was always a big deal to check out the TV guide to see which game was going to be the Match of the Day.

I used to live for those three hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Being able to see us live for the first time at the SCG later that year would probably have topped it though.

Winning by a goal IIRC would have helped as well :D

You are correct Desie -

Scores -

Rd 12 1982 Sunday June 13
Nth Melb 3.1 7.6 13.10 16.15.111
Swans 5.5 8.6 11.11 15.15.105

Goals NM Dean Dugdale 5 Blight 3 Carman 2 P & J Krakouer 2 each.
Goals Swans J Roberts 3 G Smith 3 Bernie Evans 2
Crowd 14,523 at SCG.

This win and the win over Fitzroy the next week by a point at Arden St basically meant the difference between us finishing fifth with Fitzroy 6 points behind in sixth and the Swans 8 points behind in seventh.

You are correct Desie -

Scores -

Rd 12 1982 Sunday June 13
Nth Melb 3.1 7.6 13.10 16.15.111
Swans 5.5 8.6 11.11 15.15.105

Goals NM Dean Dugdale 5 Blight 3 Carman 2 P & J Krakouer 2 each.
Goals Swans J Roberts 3 G Smith 3 Bernie Evans 2
Crowd 14,523 at SCG.

This win and the win over Fitzroy the next week by a point at Arden St basically meant the difference between us finishing fifth with Fitzroy 6 points behind in sixth and the Swans 8 points behind in seventh.

Thanks for that mate, brings back some great memories.

One thing I do remember vividly was being amazed that Arnold Breidis was still playing when in reality he would have only been in his mid-late 20's at that stage.

I've seen a few highlights of that Round 7 1979 game against Carlton. I'd pay a lot of money to be able to get a DVD of that, looked like an amazing game with an amazing atmosphere.

Desie - Arnie was 26 and a half at the time (1982) - debut Rd 1 1972 at 16 years and 225 days v St Kilda at Moorabbin. Debuted in a year that included debutants like - Mick Malthouse, Norm Goss and John "Bomber" Hendrie.

I still think that our forward line in '82 of Blight, Carman and P.Krakouer is probably second only to the '93 version of Longmire, Carey, and McAdam in North sides that I've seen.

I remember just hanging out all week to go watch that combo in action on the weekend. Very exciting times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Desie - Arnie was 26 and a half at the time (1982) - debut Rd 1 1972 at 16 years and 225 days v St Kilda at Moorabbin. Debuted in a year that included debutants like - Mick Malthouse, Norm Goss and John "Bomber" Hendrie.

Incredible think that he was only a 21-22 year old CHF in 1977 when he played so well in those two GF's (despite forgetting his kicking boots in the first game).

The other thing I remember about him that makes me laugh is when he decked Glenn Hawker with a straight right in the '83 Prelim, which was about the only thing that was even mildly amusing about that day.

He was one of a number of guys from that era such as Johnny Byrne and Xavier Tanner who were cruelled by injury which was a real shame.

I remember just hanging out all week to go watch that combo in action on the weekend. Very exciting times.

1993 remains my favourite season, mainly because of those three, but also when you consider where we came from in February. We were ridiculously potent when you add Allison and Roberts to that forward line as well.

I dusted off a copy of "The Great Leap Forward" video the other day, geez it's good, Collingwood at Vic Park was the definite high point :thumbsu:

Mr R speaking of crowds try these three - if you think 23,400 was big - I went to all of these ones - how they fitted into Arden St is beyond me - thank goodness I had a reserved seat -

Rd 5 1978 v Coll 31,424 (win 124 to 115 - John Burns NO 11 - 7 goals - Snake Baker 5).
Rd 3 1979 v Coll 29,747 (win 127 to 99 - 9 goal last qtr Blight 7 goals).
Rd 18 1979 v Carl 28,902 (loss 115 to 141)

I was also at Princes Park (Optus/Visy) the day that Ross Glendinning kicked the winning goal just on the siren v Carlton in Rd 7 1979 and would you believe they crammed 39,411 into Carltons ground that day. The same year 1979 in Rd 10 Carl v Coll crammed - wait for it 46,106 into Carlton - the day Magro hit Jezza.

Geez I miss those local grounds.

Those crowds are massive!

I would have been at those games at Arden St, standing between the grandstand and the press box. I remember the atmosphere being electric at all our home games in those days, including the Krakouers' first game against South, but I don't remember it being crowded to the point of discomfort.

Maybe we were all a bit less soft/spoilt in those days?

If the Glendinning game featured a big last quarter revival after sending Roscoe forward, it was also the day my old man chipped a Carlton supporter in the crowd for dropping the F bomb. He'd be a busy man if he went to the footy these days.

1993 remains my favourite season, mainly because of those three, but also when you consider where we came from in February. We were ridiculously potent when you add Allison and Roberts to that forward line as well.

I dusted off a copy of "The Great Leap Forward" video the other day, geez it's good, Collingwood at Vic Park was the definite high point :thumbsu:

Boy could we kick some bags of goals then. Ridiculously potent is right.

I enjoyed the spanking against Sydney. Although I can see how it could be boring for a normal spectator, there is just something that can make you deleriously happy in seeing your team kick soooo many goals.

I enjoyed the spanking against Sydney. Although I can see how it could be boring for a normal spectator, there is just something that can make you deleriously happy in seeing your team kick soooo many goals.

That was on the same day as the infamous Essendon v Geelong game at the G when Ablett and Salmon kicked a sqillion.

Because it involved the Swans we got the North game on TV in Sydney instead, I think I still have the old video of the game somewhere.

We kicked 11 in the first quarter with the highlight being McAdam taking an absolute hanger after a long bomb out of the centre by Johnny Blakey, and then the Swans well and truly outscored us in the second for some reason. I remember being particularly disappointed that the Swans kicked three or four goals in time-on of the last quarter when we looked like winning by 150 plus.

Hard to please I know :p

That was on the same day as the infamous Essendon v Geelong game at the G when Ablett and Salmon kicked a sqillion.

Because it involved the Swans we got the North game on TV in Sydney instead, I think I still have the old video of the game somewhere.

We kicked 11 in the first quarter with the highlight being McAdam taking an absolute hanger after a long bomb out of the centre by Johnny Blakey, and then the Swans well and truly outscored us in the second for some reason. I remember being particularly disappointed that the Swans kicked three or four goals in time-on of the last quarter when we looked like winning by 150 plus.

Hard to please I know :p

Tough judge. ;)

I dream of our team kicking half as many goals as that at the moment.

Although it wasn't such a big game, I seem to recall that the Krakouer boys absolutely carved up the Swans in their first game at Arden St in Round 2.

Phil Carman kicked 6 in the reserves that day as well.

I played in the little league that day......for the Swans. My school was in the old Swans zone. Had to take my North jumper off, put a Swans one on, play a match (we got flogged) and then put a North jumper back on to watch the rest of the main game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back