Health Quit Smoking - all mental

Remove this Banner Ad

Smoked for 22 years, never even thought about giving up or trying to. I liked smoking. Gave up due to wife/kids pressure.

Haven't had a f** for 6 weeks. Cold Turkey. First 2-3 weeks was toughest. Bit of a headache, sleeping was more difficult and general irritability. Stayed away from boozing, actually my thirst for booze dried up a bit. Last couple of weeks back to my usual level of boozing and to my surprise haven't really craved a dart. I still feel like I'm missing an old friend, but again to my surprise I'm not really craving it. As the OP suggested it is all about will power. Some people are piss weak and need an excuse for anything.

Smoked for 22 years, never even thought about giving up or trying to. I liked smoking. Gave up due to wife/kids pressure.

Haven't had a f** for 6 weeks. Cold Turkey. First 2-3 weeks was toughest. Bit of a headache, sleeping was more difficult and general irritability. Stayed away from boozing, actually my thirst for booze dried up a bit. Last couple of weeks back to my usual level of boozing and to my surprise haven't really craved a dart. I still feel like I'm missing an old friend, but again to my surprise I'm not really craving it. As the OP suggested it is all about will power. Some people are piss weak and need an excuse for anything.
Good on ya mate! I know what you mean by "missing an old friend," I really do haha. I feel like I can't have a coffee because I'd always have a smoke with a cuppa. Might in the morning to see how it goes without it.

Good on ya mate! I know what you mean by "missing an old friend," I really do haha. I feel like I can't have a coffee because I'd always have a smoke with a cuppa. Might in the morning to see how it goes without it.

Coffee went by the wayside when I first quit - went from an average of 8 a day to none
After a while I managed to have 1 in the morning but now I don't even bother at all - can take it or leave it

Coffee went by the wayside when I first quit - went from an average of 8 a day to none
After a while I managed to have 1 in the morning but now I don't even bother at all - can take it or leave it
Yeah it's weird.. I can drink grog without craving or even thinking about a cigarette, but the smallest thought of coffee brings on cravings like no other.

I guess it'd be better to just not even bother with coffee, I mean.. hot chocolate tastes better anyway :thumbsu:

I have been off the darts for a week now after being a pack per day smoker. I wanted to quit (which I think is the most important thing) and read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book in 2-3 hours last Sunday night. About 50 pages in I knew I wouldn't smoke again. I was highly sceptical before reading it but it just clicked with me (along with the millions of others he claims I suppose).

I had a heavy drinking session ANZAC day and played 2 rounds of golf over the long weekend which were both situations where I would basically chain-smoke in the past. I haven't had one "craving", obviously I thought about it when my best mates were having a smoke but I didn't "need" or even "want" one in the slightest.

I know 1 week isn't a long time but my attitude has changed completely and I know I will remain a non-smoker. I am recommending the book to any of my smoker friends who are ready to quit. Saving $150 over the last week, plus feeling 100% better health-wise has me in a very good space as opposed to the depressed thoughts previous times I have tried to quit.

I have been off the darts for a week now after being a pack per day smoker. I wanted to quit (which I think is the most important thing) and read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book in 2-3 hours last Sunday night. About 50 pages in I knew I wouldn't smoke again. I was highly sceptical before reading it but it just clicked with me (along with the millions of others he claims I suppose).

I had a heavy drinking session ANZAC day and played 2 rounds of golf over the long weekend which were both situations where I would basically chain-smoke in the past. I haven't had one "craving", obviously I thought about it when my best mates were having a smoke but I didn't "need" or even "want" one in the slightest.

I know 1 week isn't a long time but my attitude has changed completely and I know I will remain a non-smoker. I am recommending the book to any of my smoker friends who are ready to quit. Saving $150 over the last week, plus feeling 100% better health-wise has me in a very good space as opposed to the depressed thoughts previous times I have tried to quit.
Awesome effort, mate. Keep going!

Yup, well done to those who have decided to quit over the last few weeks. Hope to hear updates over the coming weeks about progress! The longer you go, the easier it becomes. Just don't fall into that trap where you start having thoughts about buying a packet. I had a few myself, where i knew i was walking past a shop that sold them, but i manage to resist the urge and walk past and within 30 seconds you forgot you were even considering it. Later that night you might end up remembering that situation and think, "That was great." and you end up feeling good about yourself because of it.

For me, still haven't had a cigarette since late Oct/Early Nov last year when i posted in this thread about it. So that's 6 months and it feels a hell of a lot longer! Going well, and whenever i see people having a cigarette, i wonder why i bothered, the smell is terrible!

Last edited:
6 weeks for me now. The first couple of times I had a few beers or played golf was tough but I got through that. It helps that mates that I usually smoked with have quit around the same time. I occasionally just have a puff of my e-cig but haven't had any strong cravings for a while now. I've tried quitting a few times and this is the best I've done. I had a bit of a lapse when I was recently on holiday in Australia. I told my wife to play hardball with me when I got home. I asked her to not let me play with my son or sleep in my bed if I had a cigarette (even a herbal one). I'm happy to say she hasn't had to invoke those rules :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 month today and going strong. Haven't changed my social life, my family dog of 15 years had to be put down a couple of weeks ago which was an extremely stressful day but haven't seriously considered a smoke at all. Loving being able to breathe, smell, taste and have a bit more cash in my pocket :)

Sorry to hear about your dog :(

..............but brilliant news about not smoking - fantastic :)

18hkXO9.png

I can understand the desire to quit but I can't fathom the desire to start. Why do people start smoking?

For most people it would probably be the people around you. I reckon for a lot of those it would've been through mates at school because it was a cool thing to do at the time.

I know many employers won't hire smokers. So why do people actively seek to close opportunities in their lives, waste money, support big foreign nationals and ruin their health?

I can't help but think it shows a weakness in character. I know that comment will rub some up the wrong way but that is just an honest opinion.

I know many employers won't hire smokers. So why do people actively seek to close opportunities in their lives, waste money, support big foreign nationals and ruin their health?

I can't help but think it shows a weakness in character. I know that comment will rub some up the wrong way but that is just an honest opinion.
Do you drink?

I don't think I ever got asked that question and if I had, I would of lied - it would be like asking if I smoke pot. How do you also not employ someone for doing something that is perfectly legal. It's discrimination and it would be a brave question to ask - they may enforce no smoke breaks during working hours but what I do outside, that's all whole new ball game

Do you drink?

Yep, and I know it is hypocritical but:

Employers won't not hire you because you have a drink or two a week as opposed to smoking. They will however not hire you if you drink too much especially in public or at work functions.

Smoking and drinking are both vices so yes they are both a waste of money.

Cigarrettes are controlled by big multinationals but good quality alcohol is not.

A drink or two a week will not negatively impact ones life.

That said, it is not so much the facts rather the social stigma and what smoking says about the individual. A drink or two is socially acceptable but smoking is not. May be the reason is because of three things being:
1) people smoke at work, which is a big finger up at their employer and fellow employees as they stand around whilst everyone else is working.
2) If they don't smoke, then their addiction means they can't concentrate properly
2) smoking drifts meaning passive smokers have to breathe in the toxic fumes
3) It also demonstrates all the characteristics in a person that employers don't want (susceptible to peer group pressure, a lack of self respect, a lack of self control, a shirker, selfish, inconsiderate and ungrateful).

It may or may not be fair but again, why would you start knowing that is what employers think?

I don't think I ever got asked that question and if I had, I would of lied - it would be like asking if I smoke pot. How do you also not employ someone for doing something that is perfectly legal. It's discrimination and it would be a brave question to ask - they may enforce no smoke breaks during working hours but what I do outside, that's all whole new ball game

I guess it depends on the nature of the job. For some jobs it wouldn't matter but I know people have been managed out of jobs because employers have subsequently found out they smoke.

Unfortunately with OH&S and other issues, what you do outside of work hours is the companies business. ie the case where the worker claimed medical costs for injuries occurred whilst rooting in a hotel whilst on a work trip. She was not working at the time, rather an act of their own folly but the courts have determined the duty of care does not stop at the work gate.

As a result, I know of money companies that will not hire smokers because of the increased risk of bush fire etc.

I can understand the desire to quit but I can't fathom the desire to start. Why do people start smoking?
Freud describes it as a maladapted oral craving, which develops in our formative years when we're little tackers. Then in adult life this oral craving, can manifest into smoking. This is obviously an oversimplified explanation of one psychological reason behind smoking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back