Health Quit Smoking - all mental

Remove this Banner Ad

Can addiction to anything really be cured or does it just require constant will power? Given the brain establishes neural pathways that link to reward centres if one carries a behaviour out long enough to establish a link, can that link ever be reversed? As in can you essentially rewire your brain?

Can addiction to anything really be cured or does it just require constant will power? Given the brain establishes neural pathways that link to reward centres if one carries a behaviour out long enough to establish a link, can that link ever be reversed? As in can you essentially rewire your brain?

I don't believe a true addiction can be totally cured.

I have a fair few lol.
If you want to try them, I would start with a Kanger EVOD on a Joytech ego twist battery.
Finding a flavour you like is the hard part. Once you do, you'll never look back.

I have SmokeNV. I think I actually want a tobacco flavored one though. Thinking of getting the Blue E-Cig.

Lets go all the way back to the thread title.

If quitting smoking is a mental process, and it is 100%, then e-cigs are just a substitute for a dart, but the mental process of reward/relief/whatever is still a part of your behaviour. This keeps you right on the edge of becoming a smoker again. Its a fine edge.

You are still continuing the same behavioural patterns, and if anything, mentally rewarding yourself even more with the behaviour, because its "better than a ciggy".

This thread is about the mental process of quitting smoking. E-cigs do NOT help this.

Trying to give up yet again. Just smoked my last cigarette then. Going to be tough considering i love a bit of weed too.

Don't put tobacco with your pot, or buy that fake tobacco stuff. Smoking pot has undermined cease smoking in the past hence i don't smoke tobacco in pot now (not that i smoke alot of weed)

Don't put tobacco with your pot, or buy that fake tobacco stuff. Smoking pot has undermined cease smoking in the past hence i don't smoke tobacco in pot now (not that i smoke alot of weed)

Yup good point. Still haven;t had a cigarette since that last post and i'm having no ill effects from it to be honest, although still having a smoke of weed, but through a bong this time. :cool: I should really stop that as well. Trying to make some positive changes in my life.

Yup good point. Still haven;t had a cigarette since that last post and i'm having no ill effects from it to be honest, although still having a smoke of weed, but through a bong this time. :cool: I should really stop that as well. Trying to make some positive changes in my life.

Yes Ed, time to get serious. Put the bong away and smoke joints with fake tobacco or abstain altogether for a while.

Congratulations on not somking though, it's the best thing a smoker can do.

You seem very certain of this. Recent research suggests e-cigs are as successful as nicotine patches.

Successful at substituting the product, but not the behaviour.

Patches are rubbish too.

I am certain because i went through all this s**t a year ago. And I pmsl at all the gimmicks people try to delay quitting. Been there, done that.

The only thing that worked was elimination of the addiction. Not a substitution for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Successful at substituting the product, but not the behaviour.

Patches are rubbish too.

I am certain because i went through all this s**t a year ago. And I pmsl at all the gimmicks people try to delay quitting. Been there, done that.

The only thing that worked was elimination of the addiction. Not a substitution for it.

Nice work :thumbsu: I'm sure some people have different experiences though so it's a bit harsh to just laugh at them.

I have SmokeNV. I think I actually want a tobacco flavored one though. Thinking of getting the Blue E-Cig.

Stay away from those disposables m8. Not much chop. A couple of EVODs and a couple of ego twist batteries would be your next step. You can then fill them with any flavour you want and make your liquids any strength you want. When I first started I was on 20mg and I'm now down to 12mg.
My EVODs on ego twist batteries.
evod2a.jpg

The other end of the scale, my high end mod.
zpwo.jpg

Excellent question, it appears that it can

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/21/23/9414.full

Neuroplasticity's a wonderful thing.

I quit quite a few times, the willpower wasn't so much of a problem to get through the initial withdrawals, but I'd only last a couple of years at most, the temptations are just everywhere.

Finally I tried hypnotism just to see if that'd make a difference and it worked for me. The difference basically is I never look longingly at someone smoking anymore, there's just no desire to smoke at all.

It wasn't as easy initially as they made out, there was still cravings. but not as bad as going cold turkey, which was my usual approach before that.

Just bumping to see where people are at with their quitting?

I do have the occasional social smoke.. if I am at a party or out with friends.. and basically all of them smoke I will either bum a few or buy a packet that will last for a few social events.. not addicted and plan on keeping it to social only.

Just bumping to see where people are at with their quitting?

I do have the occasional social smoke.. if I am at a party or out with friends.. and basically all of them smoke I will either bum a few or buy a packet that will last for a few social events.. not addicted and plan on keeping it to social only.

I still haven't had a cigarette since my last post. So it's been 5 weeks for me really and i don't miss it one bit. I even had 2 or 3 beers on Friday, which normally brings up a huge urge to buy a packet, but not to be on this occassion! Chuffed! Still having a fair bit of the ol' green stuff though (with no tobacco).

I can only wish you well if you decide to keep smoking to social events, but for me it doesn't work. I've tried it before from things ranging like "i won't smoke at work" to "I'll only smoke on weekends" etc... and after a week or 2, it ends up getting to the stage where i think "I'll just take 1 cigarette along to have after lunch" or "I'll buy a small pack of 10 on the Wednesday to fill the void until the weekend" and it eventually snowballs into back to where i was.

I still haven't had a cigarette since my last post. So it's been 5 weeks for me really and i don't miss it one bit. I even had 2 or 3 beers on Friday, which normally brings up a huge urge to buy a packet, but not to be on this occassion! Chuffed! Still having a fair bit of the ol' green stuff though (with no tobacco).
Good stuff mate, keep it up :)

I can only wish you well if you decide to keep smoking to social events, but for me it doesn't work. I've tried it before from things ranging like "i won't smoke at work" to "I'll only smoke on weekends" etc... and after a week or 2, it ends up getting to the stage where i think "I'll just take 1 cigarette along to have after lunch" or "I'll buy a small pack of 10 on the Wednesday to fill the void until the weekend" and it eventually snowballs into back to where i was.

Yeah that's fair enough, both my parents used to smoke.. and only one of them has had a hiccup in the last 6 and 8 year that they have been off them.. not a bad strike rate.. they did find out about it too and their response was basically "we used to smoke.. its part of life you can make your own decisions however we would like you to keep it social only if your going to continue to partake"..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back