Review R14: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game and was also surprised. So I went back and watched it carefully and created this video of what I would consider our clanger kicks, those that have pretty much no pressure and miss the target, either stifling momentum or a complete turnover. Of those shown only Broadbent kicking out of bounds directly cost us a goal. Plenty of others were caused by tackling pressure.

Overall at the game I thought we did reasonably well and of course you always think you make more mistakes than they actually did, so on replay I would say that we could have won if we took better care of the ball and made better decisions. Only need to fix a couple of these up per game and it will make a big difference. Colquhoun is one that could do with being more careful in his choices at centering the ball, Ah Chee should kick with his right foot as much as possible, and Pittard should play on the wing.

Nie work. You are rapidly becoming the video review expert on this board.

Interesting you picked many of Hoon's clangers.Iread reviews that he played well but dont line that up with what I saw. I actually reckon he makes more mistakes when he doesnt have the ball than when he does. He is still very much a fringe player in my eyes at this stage of his career.

Nie work. You are rapidly becoming the video review expert on this board.

Interesting you picked many of Hoon's clangers.Iread reviews that he played well but dont line that up with what I saw. I actually reckon he makes more mistakes when he doesnt have the ball than when he does. He is still very much a fringe player in my eyes at this stage of his career.

Certainly not an expert, just have a few hours to spare on Sunday evening while the missus watches Masterchef. I also like to form my opinions based on the evidence rather than emotion.

My thoughts live were that Carlile looked slow and did not want to attack the ball, and I was not surprised he was subbed out. Reid got on top of Hombsch only in the 2nd quarter but it was down the other end so I couldn't tell if he was making errors or was outplayed, on replay Hombsch did alright. Jonas looks low on confidence. Kennedy slaughtered us in the first half particularly, and Jack in the 2nd half with his gut running - he was still sprinting at the end to make the play.

Ah Chee has a running style that reminds me of Choco.
Wingard needs to stop flying for everything and stay down when he is not the target.
Schulz can not get a break between he and his defender. The Sydney forwards were doing it easy by pushing off our defenders. That indicates to me a lack of strength.
I think if Lobbe is rucking in the forward half then Ryder should sit 40m behind the ball down the line rather than be 3rd man up. Forward 50 stoppages are very congested and it is difficult to get a clean kick even if it is tapped straight to you, he could be the sweeper for the quick kick out and pump it into the middle to open up the forward line.

Last edited:

Wingard needs to stop flying for everything and stay down when he is not the target.

I think it was Portia on a podcast who made the point a while ago that Wingard goes flying when our forward structure is so stuffed he doesn't feel he can lead properly- so I always take a flying Wingard to mean our forward line isn't working.

Love your video and am just surprised it's not longer.

On sober reflection I think I'm pretty happy with the effort it's just the execution that is the problem. Sydney are our nemesis and the SCG is our hellhole, and our leaders have turned to spuds, and we still only lost by 10 points. I know they were lacking Franklin and Tippett but we were missing Trengove, Boak* and Ebert*.

*I know that Trevor Broke and Brian Emote played, I would like Travis Boak and Brad Ebert to play instead next week.

Love your video and am just surprised it's not longer.

You know something I was too. After the game I thought we made clanger after clanger and gifted them the win. But when I watched it again a couple of days later we played pretty well I thought, a million times better than the Carlton game.

What I didn't include in the video were the poor decisions that even though they were not outright clangers, but kicking to a player with someone directly on his back which also results in a stoppage or turnover. Think anytime someone kicks to Monfries in the centre square. The kick can go right on the players chest but if someone is there to spoil it then that is a decision making clanger, not a skill clanger.

I was at the game and was also surprised. So I went back and watched it carefully and created this video of what I would consider our clanger kicks, those that have pretty much no pressure and miss the target, either stifling momentum or a complete turnover. Of those shown only Broadbent kicking out of bounds directly cost us a goal. Plenty of others were caused by tackling pressure.

Overall at the game I thought we did reasonably well and of course you always think you make more mistakes than they actually did, so on replay I would say that we could have won if we took better care of the ball and made better decisions. Only need to fix a couple of these up per game and it will make a big difference. Colquhoun is one that could do with being more careful in his choices at centering the ball, Ah Chee should kick with his right foot as much as possible, and Pittard should play on the wing.

Fantastic work. I really wanted to do this myself but would never have gone through with it. Would also love to see a video with unpressured slipping over the course of the last couple months, with the Benny hill backing music. Can't believe how much we slip over.

I reckon that videos generous though, there was a lot of other really bad decisions and disposal that may not seem so bad due to ending up at a contest. I mean I can remember Andrew Moore missing the target at least 3 times, it may have got there on the bounce but he still missed. And Broadbent would be in the same boat, his decisions and disposal was atrocious. Easily our worst on ground.

our skills, run, composure and decision making isn't going to come back at the flick of a switch its going to take hard work and building confidence in our game plan, team mates and abilities, while we work on regaining them we must do what every team knows works against us....relentless pressure , pressure with the ball and pressure on the opposition without, even the best teams unravel with constant pressure, teams like to play on their terms, make them 2nd guess with real and perceived pressure and confidence ,errors, composure, skills drop off, pressure is the name of the game to get our game back on track

Alot of those errors in the video stem not from the players themselves who you have credited the error to but having no one up the field or guys not spreading hard enough to give the kicker / handballer an option

This. For Sammy Colquhoun's faults, he really the only guy who really knows how to create space for himself beyond having a speed/fitness advantage. It's about working smarter, rather than harder.

This is something, along with offensive/defensive crumbing that for some reason has not been part of our DNA as an AFL club, ie knowledge that is passed on from players/coaches to the next generation. Do the coaching staff not recognise this? Or do they assume that our players should have these natural football instincts, and that we only need to focus on gameplan more broadly and fitness? You can tell the players to move the ball in a certain way, or help them to gain a certain level of fitness that enables a certain gameplan, but if they cannot win a 1-on-1 contest or create space for themselves and others it is all for nothing unless we have the game entirely on our terms (which pretty much boils down to clear clearances).

This is the major difference between Port Adelaide 2013 vs 2014/2015, and Port Adelaide (AFL) generally vs the Geelong/Hawthorn/Sydney.

Certainly not an expert, just have a few hours to spare on Sunday evening while the missus watches Masterchef. I also like to form my opinions based on the evidence rather than emotion.

My thoughts live were that Carlile looked slow and did not want to attack the ball, and I was not surprised he was subbed out. Reid got on top of Hombsch only in the 2nd quarter but it was down the other end so I couldn't tell if he was making errors or was outplayed, on replay Hombsch did alright. Jonas looks low on confidence. Kennedy slaughtered us in the first half particularly, and Jack in the 2nd half with his gut running - he was still sprinting at the end to make the play.

Ah Chee has a running style that reminds me of Choco.
Schulz can not get a break between he and his defender. The Sydney forwards were doing it easy by pushing off our defenders. That indicates to me a lack of strength.
I think if Lobbe is rucking in the forward half then Ryder should sit 40m behind the ball down the line rather than be 3rd man up. Forward 50 stoppages are very congested and it is difficult to get a clean kick even if it is tapped straight to you, he could be the sweeper for the quick kick out and pump it into the middle to open up the forward line.

The OBVIOUS question to me is where the hell are the coaches???
Players must have feedback and coaching to go along with this imo.
Is Hinckley asleep at the wheel or just plain incompetent????

Our players inability to hit targets is astounding, particularly when going inside 50 we have plenty of options but mess up the kick, or ignore free players and kick to contests. We need to go back to the precise kicking, and handball gameplan we showed against Fremantle. Yes, there were issues with that game, but I think our side has been completely reactive this year and we really don't need to be. They say every week there are another 3 things wrong so we work on those, but no side has zero weaknesses. We simply need to focus on our strengths, which for me are our ability to defend against inside 50s, maintain great tackling pressure and attack on the ball, and spread from the contest allowing us to find easy targets by foot.

We really haven't even been that bad most of the time this year, but every time something goes wrong its we change our tack completely. The coaches are right that they need to stick to the process and eventually the wins will comes, but I don't believe that is what they are doing. Our gameplan has changed every week as far as I can tell. Against Sydney we looked a lot better, but many players lack faith in the system from what I saw. When games are going badly this team looks to its leaders to step up and win it back, Boak, Gray, and Ebert were all bad in the first half, Gray stepped it up in the second half, and Boak did in the last quarter but its just not enough. You see some guys like Pittard, and Wingard maintain confidence in these situations, but many start to play worse whenever something goes wrong.

Jay Schulz especially is one I single out, as he dropped marks that hit him perfectly, and then missed easy shots. This guy is our most senior player now, the players all look up to him and he is quite consistently giving them nothing. Perhaps he simply can't handle the pressure of being a leader out there, but we need someone to step up and take his place. Jackson Trengove would be a great option to provide some variety, and if we keep Lobbe in the side then Ryder is another who could really improve our forward line, and I honestly believe he can. Westhoff though is the guy who needs to take it on himself to be our main forward. He has been at the club a long time, and despite not being a particularly vocal guy he still has huge presence when he is at his best. I really want to see Justin step it up for the rest of the year, and do his best to carry the team out of this rut.

Our leadership group needs to really lift for the rest of the year, or find guys who will provide the leadership when they aren't. The coaches need to stop confusing the players by doing different things every week. And the playing group as a whole need to stay hungry and work hard to win as many games as they can. Some people want to give up on the season, but that won't get us anywhere. Even if we try our hardest and don't make the finals we will learn a hell of a lot more than if we play for draft picks and wait for something to happen next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The OBVIOUS question to me is where the hell are the coaches???
Players must have feedback and coaching to go along with this imo.
Is Hinckley asleep at the wheel or just plain incompetent????
What we've all got to remember is that our game plan is designed to run the opposition into the ground. We we're trained that way both physically and tactically. It's too late to make a complete change.

The thing about footy is that every year teams make adjustments to what the opposition did last year. Most teams would have targeted us because we we're seen to be one of the trend setters. Next year it's our turn to react. Hopefully with a healthier list and a revamped game-plan. We can't blame the coaching staff for being a victim of their own success. I still back our coach.

I hate hearing how our players lost their skill and aren't playing for each other. This is how we've played against Sydney forever. We tried to create a free flowing game but we may have to rethink that.

Can someone bump western royboy for his expert opinion ?

Haven't heard from him in so long and with his Hinkley experience, I feel his opinion could somewhat soothe some questions we all have about our club and Hinkleys current predicament.

Last edited:
Can someone bump western royboy for his expert opinion ?

Haven't heard from him in so long and with his Hinkley experience, I feel his opinion could somewhat soothe some questions we all have about our club and Hinkleys current predicament.

I have been out of the loop for awhile, my suggestion to you all is to use this analogy.

When a new player and preferably a young one comes into the Test arena, (note I think there will be more Voges than Michael Clarke's going forward because of our system but that's a totally different subject) - You must go and watch them play live, because they play with a freedom that others get beaten out of them. Eventually, flaws will be detected and exposed. The greats, make changes and come back, technically and mentally better players, but with far less flair. Steve Waugh '89 Ashes was a dashing player to watch, with a signature backfoot drive, slash that brought him many, many runs. But the player that became the No.1 ranked Test Batsman in the world had not much flair, but plenty of G&D.

My view is that is what has happened here. I don't doubt the coach - he's unique and he knows his stuff. It's not over until you take your last breath. Port is still breathing. Stick Fat.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back