Review R14: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

What tennis is on in Melbourne? Wimbeldon is on.

Wimbledon I guess. Passing on third hand information which is probably not wise when it comes from a crow supporter and involves Port.

Hombsch and Carlile couldn't have done much worse if Franklin and Tippett had played.

Think they probably would have done better. Kennedy wouldn't have been up forward and Reid flew under the radar a bit. Although I felt one of his marks should not have been paid as Hombsch was shepherded out.

Random player reviews for tonight and past few weeks:

Stewart: good game, amazing what a player can do when he plays the role he plays at sanfl level.
Colquhoun: eased out of game in second half, disposals became safer and less damaging. solid first half though.
Monfries: just really struggling to impact up forward. I don't like taggers so a tagger that plays forward for 9 touches and no goals I really don't like.
Ryder/Lobbe: will stick by this, form of these two is irrelevant for me. Either we trade one or they have to learn to play together end of story.
Ebert: seems to be the first player to go downhill in our down patches and exudes all the qualities of the team in that time. I want round 23 prison bars vs Carlton Ebert back or at least a half consistent one. For me, it's time to teach him to run with.
Schulz/Jonas: F

Sorry to intrude was cheering use on as much as anyone tonight quick question regarding wines he is one of my favourite players to watch but lately he has been a shell of himself is he Still hampered by that arm injury ?? Or carrying something else ?? Because at ball ups he seems more then happy to sit on the outside and wait for the ball to spill out rather then win it himself like he was at the start of the year

Yeah he had his pants pulled down by a 35 year old Goodes and got ass-****** by him in the 3rd when he kicked that goal

Totally embarrassed just watching it

Thought the result was relatively predictable both in terms of the margin and how it played out. I've been saying for the last fortnight that we would lose this game by a goal or two and that's exactly what happened. We just seem to have a way - either by our own sword, the opposition's or most likely a combination - of getting involved in scrappy arm wrestles that break either way for an unconvincing win for one team and a loss for the other. Too often this year we have been on the wrong side of these arm wrestles.

The game was clearly lost with our kicking forward of centre. Our backs weren't outstanding but were competent, albeit with Sydney making the most of their chances as top teams tend to do. Our midfield stood toe to toe with their midfield in tight for the most part. But the kicking forward was just horrendous.

Some people might not like this reality but we are a team built on running and uncontested football and we should play to that and that only. When we move the ball with care and precision we look a very good football team. Proactive handballs to teammates in space, short kicks to teammates in space. Hard running to space is the key. When we move the ball quickly we look like a terrible football team. We either kick the ball long and high to outnumbered situations for a turnover or frantically move the ball with hands through congestion and end up getting bullied into coughing up a turnover by the bigger bodies of the opposition. Space is our best friend! We need to move the ball with care and precision or we will cough it up! The players need to be told to treat the football like their girlfriend - you wouldn't want the other team getting their hands on it.

Thought we had a lot of very poor players.

Jonas has been horrible for the whole season and should be dropped immediately. Fumbles, slip ups, he just isn't up to it at the moment.

Schulz and Monfries are giving us nothing at the moment. Don't really care what job Monfries is doing on an opposition player, he is a vital link up player across half forward and needs to be getting his hands on the football more than he is.

Boak was ordinary for most of the game. Needs to lift next week.

What has happened to Brad Ebert? He started the season so well but has been in free fall for weeks now. He is so fumbly and his running seems to have dropped off dramatically. Could be carrying something IMO.

Carlile poor before being subbed out.

I'll give Ryder an out tonight given he has missed more than a month with injury and is still relatively new to the team. But we carried him big time tonight.

Quite a few good players tonight too.

Gray magic as always but did have one of those mares he tends to have in front of goals from time to time.

Ah Chee was a bull at the stoppages. Love his aggression and willingness to put his body in there. Please keep him in the team.

Colquhoun continues to solidify his spot in the 22. There is no substitute for being able to win the football. None at all. And he does it wonderfully well. 3 games back and he's hit the 20 disposal mark in all 3. Compare that to the likes of Moore and Young. Not a question who is a better prospect.

Wingard, Hartlett, Westhoff, Stewart all pretty good too.

One positive was Ah Chees game, really loved his effort to get in the packs and put his body on the line, as well as being smooth on the run.

Need more blokes like him.

I said this a pre-season or two ago.

There is absolutely no pre-season camp , or trip , or test we do that shouldnt involve footballs

I mean , we are meant to be training players to play football right ?

If they are going to climb a mountain , give them a bunch of footballs to carry up the bloody mountain. If they are white water rafting I want them to be carrying footballs. If you can kick a football while walking through the sand dunes of Dubai then I want them to be kicking footballs while they walk over the sand dunes of Dubai.

How long does it take the useless *ingg AFL site to put up a press conference on a night when there are no other games? Disgraceful. I want to hear Ken draw lines in the sand.

The problem I had with Broadent's bump on the player was it didn't look hard at all. It was a half-hearted little act for no effect. It was pretty pathetic.

Well the effect was that Goodes stepped up and Sydney answered like the Magpies of old, with goals and more pressure at the contest. We weren't as a team tuned in to back up any 'unsociable' football and to me toughness is not nudging an injured player ... it's a Glenelg thing.

It is really sad. I'd rather Broadbent be a hard at it player at the honest contest.

I should have been taking a count of the number of times we had a free run into the forwards and bombed it and a Swan took an uncontested, often chest mark. And these were occasions where the player in control could have taken a few extra steps and been in range of goal. And what are these high kicks to a one on two where at least one of the defenders is significantly taller than our forward?
I reckon we should try to kick to the opposition in future that way we may have a chance of hitting up one of our own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random player reviews for tonight and past few weeks:

Stewart: good game, amazing what a player can do when he plays the role he plays at sanfl level.
Colquhoun: eased out of game in second half, disposals became safer and less damaging. solid first half though.
Monfries: just really struggling to impact up forward. I don't like taggers so a tagger that plays forward for 9 touches and no goals I really don't like.
Ryder/Lobbe: will stick by this, form of these two is irrelevant for me. Either we trade one or they have to learn to play together end of story.
Ebert: seems to be the first player to go downhill in our down patches and exudes all the qualities of the team in that time. I want round 23 prison bars vs Carlton Ebert back or at least a half consistent one. For me, it's time to teach him to run with.
Schulz/Jonas: F
I reckon your right , how can a bloke that's our worse frontrunner be leadership material ?.

I reckon your right , how can a bloke that's our worse frontrunner be leadership material ?.
Lobbe and Jonas are in the leadership group too... it's a massive worry.

It would be very interesting to know how many goals Jasper Pittard has saved, or set up in his AFL career so far, as opposed to how many he has cost.
I suspect he would be in the negative, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
I got as pissed off with Jasper's boo-boos tonight as the next guy, but I'd take his s**t over Broadbent's vanilla seagulling any day. Nothing player if ever we had one.

Just a positive note... Hartlett looked like Hartlett again.

And there was one moment where Ah Chee burst through two Swans trying to tackle him with a crazy spin move, then put a handball on the chest of a Port player in the corridor about 10m away.

It was beautiful. And I think it almost led to a goal (or maybe it did?)

Jonas may be the worst footballer in the league at the moment. We all know how good he can be. But he isn't that player right now. Far from it. Maybe the worst performance of any player league-wide I've seen this season.

Hi all. First post after lurking for a while. Third generation port supporter and peninsula dweller.
Really disappointed about the state of ports game. How long have we watched Sydney play the same way against us - entirely predictable. Why haven't we emulated Sydney as a tough football side with solid systems and structure. They've regenerated their entire list whilst maintaining dominant performances against us over 8 years. What directions are we heading in? How frustrating is this? I said the same comment about us being like late 1980's north adelaide to my mum whilst watching the game and then see macca opened the review with a similar observation.

Something definitely went very wrong over the pre season. What happened? Port are no longer a well drilled side. The lack of cohesion going forward- how come there are no leading forwards? Terrible kicks, panic and manic plays. This shouldn't be happening in the third year of the program the players should be becoming more composed with their patterns rather than the other way round. They should be able to sustain their intensity for longer -but they can't. I think there needs to be accountability for what has happened to the way the team has been prepared for 2015. It's just not on Ken

Thanks

Some general things I'm seeing are obviously our disposal both under pressure and not is breaking down and killing us. That alone is 3-4 goals a game.
Secondly our defensive setups at, and run from stoppages is as bad as I've seen from us for a long time, this is allowing too much easy ball up.
Thirdly I reckon we have the mix wrong on ball. Obviously losing white and Polec has hurt us, but we seem to have too many one paced midfielders in there at the moment.

Another thought. Ah Chee seems to have 'something' which may mean the end for Moore.

Just a positive note... Hartlett looked like Hartlett again.

And there was one moment where Ah Chee burst through two Swans trying to tackle him with a crazy spin move, then put a handball on the chest of a Port player in the corridor about 10m away.

It was beautiful. And I think it almost led to a goal (or maybe it did?)

Jonas may be the worst footballer in the league at the moment. We all know how good he can be. But he isn't that player right now. Far from it. Maybe the worst performance of any player league-wide I've seen this season.

Wines I think, and yes, was poetry in motion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back