Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Squiggle PSA: I'm off to Adelaide this weekend to watch the Tigers prove the squiggle wrong! The interactive squiggle may have trouble doing its first ever live updates during finals, so if something goes wrong I'll fix it next week.

It's ALIVE!!!

young_frankenstein1.jpg

Hey, is there a way to make the home ground advantage less important? I mean obviously it is important but can it be shrunk to get a better idea of evenness between teams?

Edit: Or under have a "if was on neutral ground" prediction?

By indicators you mean inputs? The only inputs are the scores and the venue (state). If there are any other factors you think are relevant, like ins & outs, which team is more motivated, the weather, etc, you should weigh those yourself.

The squiggle doesn't consider those things for two reasons: I haven't found much long-term evidence for their importance, and I think the squiggle is more useful when it's simple. You can use it as a pretty good visualization of where a team is at, based purely on its scores, and make adjustments as you think necessary using your superior human brain.

Wasn't judging, just couldn't find out in the last 70 pages whether anything had been changed since the OP. Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port's squiggly line is going to move big time.
Hawthorn defeated Fremantle 137 - 79 in round 3 when Fremantle were sitting just inside the Sydney 2005 cup. Hawks moved directly up by about one "square".

Obviously similar scoreline in this match (132 - 75) but Richmond sit significantly further to the left so the squiggle shouldn't have Port moving up quite as much as Hawthorn did after beating a more defensive Freo side by a similar score. I'm guessing Port will move slightly to the left and about 3/4 of a square up and sit just below the West Coast 2006 cup.

Hawthorn defeated Fremantle 137 - 79 in round 3 when Fremantle were sitting just inside the Sydney 2005 cup. Hawks moved directly up by about one "square".

Obviously similar scoreline in this match (132 - 75) but Richmond sit significantly further to the left so the squiggle shouldn't have Port moving up quite as much as Hawthorn did after beating a more defensive Freo side by a similar score. I'm guessing Port will move slightly to the left and about 3/4 of a square up and sit just below the West Coast 2006 cup.

I thought it was how you scored in relation to the tip?
Squig tipped 85-67

132 - 75 was the actual score so Port will move LEFT very slightly and UP quite a bit.

I thought it was how you scored in relation to the tip?
Squig tipped 85-67

132 - 75 was the actual score so Port will move LEFT very slightly and UP quite a bit.
I just said they'd move slightly left and up by just under a full square. That's "quite a bit" I reckon.

Like I said that's based on Hawthorn earlier in the season scoring a similar score (can't go back to find out what the tip was) against a more defensively placed side at the time than Richmond are at the moment and only moving about the one square up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back