RDFNL 2023 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Trentham would be a good get for this league. they are very competitive in the comp they are in but it’s a much lower standard than RDFL. Wouldn’t take much to turn it right around though, easier to recruit being closer to in distance to the RDFL teams. No more travelling to Dunolly Lexton etc etc

Gisborne Giants are the only team I can see starting within the next five years. Young team, hopefully they have a little bit of money to recruit and I’m sure there will be some players in the region who would rather play teams closer to home than BFL teams. They’ll also have brand new facilities which should entice players to come over

East Sunbury may be able to turn it around in RDFL. I know of players wanting to play for a Sunbury based RDFL team and they’re not to shabby either. But they will have to tough it out in the lowest div again and be on the end of some big hidings. It’s not hard to turn things around in div 2.

Trav Hodgson is a good get for South. But looking at the last few years at Sunbury Lions they weren’t glory days that’s for sure and the BFL is very strong. But they would be okay in RDFL and of course a big rival against centrals. I’m sure the ship would turn around.

Been told if Sunbury Kangas can get a decent amount of netballers like they had this year they would be more than happy to have a chat but probably won’t happen for at least another 5 years anyway. Sunbury needs an RDFL team and who ever goes first I feel will seek rewards and I don’t think Kangas will be in the EDFL forever.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
In my opinion, Trentham would need to do a hell of a lot of recruiting to be competitive if they came into the league. Their team this year would struggle to win more than 2 games. The MCDFNL is a major drop in standard.

Anymore on this? I've only heard of players leaving at this stage

Thanks for accepting into an awesome thread to read, keen to hear more news re kyneton joining the league

You’re welcome mate. I’m so Keen to see how it all unfolds next year. I’m hoping one of my best mates puts pen to paper with Kyneton

I think Trentham would be a good get for this league. they are very competitive in the comp they are in but it’s a much lower standard than RDFL. Wouldn’t take much to turn it right around though, easier to recruit being closer to in distance to the RDFL teams. No more travelling to Dunolly Lexton etc etc

Gisborne Giants are the only team I can see starting within the next five years. Young team, hopefully they have a little bit of money to recruit and I’m sure there will be some players in the region who would rather play teams closer to home than BFL teams. They’ll also have brand new facilities which should entice players to come over

East Sunbury may be able to turn it around in RDFL. I know of players wanting to play for a Sunbury based RDFL team and they’re not to shabby either. But they will have to tough it out in the lowest div again and be on the end of some big hidings. It’s not hard to turn things around in div 2.

Trav Hodgson is a good get for South. But looking at the last few years at Sunbury Lions they weren’t glory days that’s for sure and the BFL is very strong. But they would be okay in RDFL and of course a big rival against centrals. I’m sure the ship would turn around.

Been told if Sunbury Kangas can get a decent amount of netballers like they had this year they would be more than happy to have a chat but probably won’t happen for at least another 5 years anyway. Sunbury needs an RDFL team and who ever goes first I feel will seek rewards and I don’t think Kangas will be in the EDFL forever.

Could Bacchus Marsh support another team? Will be a part of the Melbourne geographical area soon. Growing very quickly and sporting grounds left right and centre. RDFL could potentially do a Melton Centrals and start there own side.

Could Bacchus Marsh support another team? Will be a part of the Melbourne geographical area soon. Growing very quickly and sporting grounds left right and centre. RDFL could potentially do a Melton Centrals and start there own side.
Bacchus Marsh/Darley is about 17,000 people and already servicing two clubs, mindful that the towns supply players to the RDFL & CHFL as is - I would think an additional club would be a fair way off.

Last edited:
Bacchus Marsh/Darley is about 17,000 people and already servicing two clubs, mindful that the towns supply players to the RDFL & CHFL as is - I would think an additional club would be a fair way off.

Luke Cannon to Riddell.
It’s unusual to have so many liked blokes at Riddell. I feel dirty.

Anyone know who will be getting the new oval and rooms in the Everley estate in Sunbury once built? Saw on the estate master plan an oval + rooms & bulk courts being built there. Maybe a new future team in Sunbury?

Luke Cannon to Riddell.
It’s unusual to have so many liked blokes at Riddell. I feel dirty.

Could well see all Sunbury teams in Div 3 in 2025. I wonder if that may be the catalyst for 1 to move.

I thought there was a limit on how many players can be cleared from one club to another?

Has that changed or was I maybe mislead. That’s Five Rupo blokes signed at Riddell thus far.

I thought there was a limit on how many players can be cleared from one club to another?

Has that changed or was I maybe mislead. That’s Five Rupo blokes signed at Riddell thus far.

Pretty sure as many as they like can change leagues, but not clubs within that league. Number is 3 (I think)

Are they also changing their name to the “Riddell Sharks” or “Rupo Bombers”?😂😂

We had one poster on here go on about points and salary cap because Wallan recruited the Stewart boys, yet Riddell has ripped the heart out of Rupo and not a bo peep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had one poster on here go on about points and salary cap because Wallan recruited the Stewart boys, yet Riddell has ripped the heart out of Rupo and not a bo peep.
Nah Auk, I think without a shadow of a doubt they can only be cheating the cap, pretty sure I said it in an earlier post, if not said it now. Riddell can not be under the cap.

Ripped the heart out of Rupo is a bit rich. This off season has seen a lot of players leave Rupo and not just to Riddell. Your comments are usually pretty measured but I reckon you’ve missed the mark with this one.

Nah Auk, I think without a shadow of a doubt they can only be cheating the cap, pretty sure I said it in an earlier post, if not said it now. Riddell can not be under the cap.

The salary cap clearly doesn't work and that is obvious to all and sundry.

Ripped the heart out of Rupo is a bit rich. This off season has seen a lot of players leave Rupo and not just to Riddell. Your comments are usually pretty measured but I reckon you’ve missed the mark with this one.

5 (so far) to Riddell, 1 to Wallan, 1 to Gisborne and 1 to Heathcote. I think that's a fair rip.

5 (so far) to Riddell, 1 to Wallan, 1 to Gisborne and 1 to Heathcote. I think that's a fair rip.

2 to Sunbury as well. 10 all up. Jesus that’s a fair whack. Is there a known reason for the departures?

BTW, I'm not having a go at Riddell, just the trolls.
2 more long time Rupo players who had a year or two away from footy who’ve chosen to sign with the Kangaroos rather than return Rupo. So far Riddell have benefited most from the Rupo exodus but maybe they’ve worked the hardest? And, give the tolls hell.

If we got rid of the salary cap, and just allowed clubs to spend what they want, aren't they still restricted by the points system, isn't that alot more easier to police than the salary cap?

You can go out and get 4 ex afl blokes, pay them a shipload, but if they don't get under their points allocation, it means jack.

Wouldn't that be easier?

Or is there any other alternatives?

On SM-T500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we got rid of the salary cap, and just allowed clubs to spend what they want, aren't they still restricted by the points system, isn't that alot more easier to police than the salary cap?

You can go out and get 4 ex afl blokes, pay them a shipload, but if they don't get under their points allocation, it means jack.

Wouldn't that be easier?

Or is there any other alternatives?

That’s pretty much what happens anyway - the salary cap worked to a minor extent early when it was first introduced as clubs were wary and hesitant around how it would work, how it would be policed etc. It was a measure in a sense to try and protect clubs from constantly spending beyond their means and eventually going under. But as time has progressed, it’s lost its impact, clubs spend what they want, and as soon as one club in any given league let loose, others almost had no choice but to follow along or get left behind.
The points system is the only current mechanism available to leagues to attempt to find some level of equilibrium, however it also could do with some tweaks in terms of how points are allocated. There is no perfect way to do this, but in my opinion there are better ways.

Jeez how much do we think riddell are over the cap ? Fair bit of noise about this ! Pity if they do win it - will be just tarnished from day 1

2 to Sunbury as well. 10 all up. Jesus that’s a fair whack. Is there a known reason for the departures?

I knew one was going but the rest were a shock. I've heard rumblings since, but don't want to post them here.

That’s pretty much what happens anyway - the salary cap worked to a minor extent early when it was first introduced as clubs were wary and hesitant around how it would work, how it would be policed etc. It was a measure in a sense to try and protect clubs from constantly spending beyond their means and eventually going under. But as time has progressed, it’s lost its impact, clubs spend what they want, and as soon as one club in any given league let loose, others almost had no choice but to follow along or get left behind.
The points system is the only current mechanism available to leagues to attempt to find some level of equilibrium, however it also could do with some tweaks in terms of how points are allocated. There is no perfect way to do this, but in my opinion there are better ways.
The fear of God was put into clubs who went over the cap, and all they got was a slap across the wrist, abers, deer park come to mind.

I guess had afl vic, done what they were going g to say they would, then clubs would have been scared and stuck by the rules, but once you wimp out and clubs knew they weren't going to be punished as bad as they though, the risk is greater for the reward.

I thinkmyoure right, the points is a great equalli g option, but there always seems to be q bit of grey area hovering around it surely they could make it a black and white, and say this is it.

You go over and there is the consequences.

How would you fix the points mad jack? I actually don't know how you would or what you'd need to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back