Re-Branding the Bulldogs .. West Melbourne or Footscray not Western

Remove this Banner Ad

Rather than disassociate the club from its loser past, what we've seen here is the creation of an association between this poster and the tag 'goose.'

You are another great mind. Why are we missing out on sponsorship dollars?

Is it because we are an under performing club with a history of failure and an association to a loser part of Melbourne? Hmm What else could it be?

You are such a champion. Maybe you should get out into the business world and find out why we cant get sponsorship?

If you did go out you would discover the answer and its not funny.

Thank you I choose to take that literally.
We have sponsorship it's Mission you know the Taco guys. It's the biggest we've had in our history. If you are are talking tier 2 sponsor then I can't help you maybe it has something to do with a self-loathing supporter base.

Also our lack of funds have absolutely nothing to do with our player injuries. We were amongst the healthiest lists for 3 quarters of this season and most of last. Hawthorn, a powerhouse, has had a far bigger problem injury-wise this year than us.

Footscray didn't crack Cooney's knee in 08 and it also didn't break Morris' leg.

And just to make it clear as possible.

Footscray as a suburb is associated to losers.
If you live in Footscray you are associated to losers.
If you want to rename the club Footscray you are associating our club to losers.

The walk on the moon was staged
Aliens live on Mars
Tony Abbott loves the Carbon tax

All above are lies and what is stated above are all lies

You make statements that are just totally not true,unless you can show me facts and Data( and please dont sent me a link of Sam Newman on the footy show interviewing some poor person in the mall) that the suburb is associated to losers please dont make that statement

You are another great mind. Why are we missing out on sponsorship dollars?

Is it because we are an under performing club with a history of failure and an association to a loser part of Melbourne? Hmm What else could it be?

I've added it in bold to make sure you're point has more merit. Which it does, first decent thing you've mentioned in this thread. :thumbsu:

Rapt we have brought back the traditional 'hoops'.

Would be even greater if we could bring back "Footscray".

An interesting point in the name, is that despite the absence of a flag, the Western Bulldogs (as a club name) is actually quite successful.

We have been the Western Bulldogs for 15 years, and in that time, made the preliminaries 5 times! That is 1 in 3!

Well... that's why we don't, silly. We have never just been called Western. :rolleyes:

Time for foreigners to butt the hell out with irrelevant loony comments.

This is a Bulldogs-only topic.

That seems to drag on ... and on ... and on .... :(

The thread title and OP does not say anything of that kind.

Get over yourself, geez.

Just because I follow a different club doesn't mean I can't have an opinion, or that my opinion is any less valid. I'm prepared to bet good money i'd know more about the history of your football club than you do.

If I had my way the club would never have changed from Footscray in the first place.

Western on its own is boring and generic. West of what? And why isn't your bulldog wearing a cowboy hat? That's Western isn't it? Not to mention now you've got a heap of teams West of something calling themselves Western 'insert nickname here'.

You want to represent the western suburbs, call yourselves Western Suburbs. I've never been able to understand, if a name change was necessary at all, why that name wasn't used in the first place.

This whole 'perception' issue is what grates on me, the idea that Footscray has negative connotations, yet somehow encompassing the entire western suburbs under "Western" is entirely more palatable is ludicrous.
If this is to placate external predjudices of our club you are kidding yourself,the 'western suburbs scum' line has been around when we were Footscray or Western.
Our membership will take a hit next year regardless of what we are called as a result of a poor season in 2011.
What worries me is the degree of shame we seem to have for ourselves, that the whole history of the club that dates back to the 19th century is not embraced but instead loathed.
There is a solid core of members who renew regardless of performance, spikes in memberships occur with success, to hide or deny our history makes us more vulnerable.

This whole 'perception' issue is what grates on me, the idea that Footscray has negative connotations, yet somehow encompassing the entire western suburbs under "Western" is entirely more palatable is ludicrous.
If this is to placate external predjudices of our club you are kidding yourself,the 'western suburbs scum' line has been around when we were Footscray or Western.
Our membership will take a hit next year regardless of what we are called as a result of a poor season in 2011.
What worries me is the degree of shame we seem to have for ourselves, that the whole history of the club that dates back to the 19th century is not embraced but instead loathed.
There is a solid core of members who renew regardless of performance, spikes in memberships occur with success, to hide or deny our history makes us more vulnerable.

Very valid comment :thumbsu:

Rapt we have brought back the traditional 'hoops'.

Would be even greater if we could bring back "Footscray".

An interesting point in the name, is that despite the absence of a flag, the Western Bulldogs (as a club name) is actually quite successful.

We have been the Western Bulldogs for 15 years, and in that time, made the preliminaries 5 times! That is 1 in 3!

Between 1954 - 1961 with the Hoops and named Footscray we won a Premiership and played in 2 Grand Finals.

What value is there in changing the name back to Footscray ?

I grew up in the place and still live near but try and avoid going there. There are no positives in this apart from appeasing some older supporters. When it was the centre of the Western Suburbs back in the 70's (pre Highpoint) people used to flock to the place and associate with it, now it is best to avoid

Not to say that Western Bulldogs is the best name but in the absense of a viable alternative I cant see what is driving the change back ?

When we were trading as Footscray did most people living in the western suburbs in places like Williamstown, Newport, Altona etc.. associate with the club? If so, the name isn't what enables us to represent the western suburbs IMO.

I'm only 21, so I wouldn't know the answer to this question but 'Western' doesn't really stand for or mean anything IMO. Especially in a national competition.

When we were trading as Footscray did most people living in the western suburbs in places like Williamstown, Newport, Altona etc.. associate with the club? If so, the name isn't what enables us to represent the western suburbs IMO.

I'm only 21, so I wouldn't know the answer to this question but 'Western' doesn't really stand for or mean anything IMO. Especially in a national competition.
Firstly, we were always the Western suburbs team. And secondly, the real question you should be asking is "do they now?" The answer to that is "sort of" I grew up and went to school in the west in the mid-90s to early-00 and honestly there were more Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon scarfs at school than Doggies ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i live over in the eastern suburbs, i wouldn't mind being called Footscray Bulldogs or Western Bulldogs, either one doesn't bother me.
but think since they will stay with WB since not every member or supporter is from the western suburbs and they want to branch out a bit (just my opinion) but it wouldn't bother me if we went back to Footscray

If you bother to read the 300 earlier posts you would clearly understand. But to save you the effort.

DISASSOCIATE US FROM THE LOSER FOOTSCRAY NAME AND STIGMA.

Is that clear enough? Do you understand now? If not go back to page one and start reading.

Are you saying that Western are winners.

Why do you guys follow this club if you hate Footscray?

Tell me, is it lack of education, pride or self-esteem. Tell Me.
Collingwood the suburb is associated with winners, really. Ask a pies fan, they won't be scared to tell you.

In this town Western is poison. Grammatically 'western and bulldogs' doesn't work. It means nothing.

Would rather be a loser then a scared sellout worried what others think. But then again i follow a team called western, winners right.

Oh you get your data from you tube and Facebook and some other dodgy web sites

and by the way regarding the link

ww.gamblingwatch.org.nz

That includes Seddon, Yarraville where you will never afford to live and Maribyrnong which includes one of the biggest shopping centres in the world but as you informed me they are all losers as well

So why do we call ourself Western Bulldogs if those suburbs are LOSERS as well
We should just call our self Avondale Heights, oh no wait everyone will think we are all Carl Williams and underbelly lovers

I rest my case

and by the way search for

Aliens are losers :)

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message636838/pg1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AougSJxv0ZQ

http://www.plonsey.com/libretti/al0a.html

That includes Seddon, Yarraville where you will never afford to live and Maribyrnong which includes one of the biggest shopping centres in the world but as you informed me they are all losers as well

With all of this discussion. You are banking on the fact that i cant afford to live in Seddon, Yarraville or Maribynong and that Maribynong has one of the largest shopping centres in the world! WOW.

You really have excelled in presenting a well thought out clear argument.

BTW the locals and most of Victoria refer to it as Knifepoint!

Collingwood the suburb is associated with winners, really. Ask a pies fan, they won't be scared to tell you.

In this town Western is poison. Grammatically 'western and bulldogs' doesn't work. It means nothing.

Would rather be a loser then a scared sellout worried what others think. But then again i follow a team called western, winners right.

They got picked on as kids.

If we had won 10 more flags it would be a different story.
Collingwood has a history of success. We do not.
Collingwood has created most of the History 50 to 80 years ago. We did not.

The world has moved on. They can reap the benefits of their Successful history.

We can not.

Meanwhile. We are...
Missing 20,000 to 30,000 members.
Missing on sponsorship to the tune of 2 to 5 million per annum - minimum.
Missing out on 20,000 to 30,000 members out in the workforce potentially generating sponsorship opportunities.

We are the AFL's breeding ground and bitches. We have just enough money to go around.

GWS and Gold coast will have 4 flags between them in next 10 years.
Either of those teams will probably play off in 6 GF's. This will not leave much for the rest of the comp. Then you have us, Kangas etc at the end of the food line. We wont even get a look in.

Until we get more funds into the club we are cactus.

So associating ourselves to anything that hampers $1 of lost sponsorship opportunity is not to be considered.

Re-Branding the Western Bulldogs back to Footscray will cost us dollars.

I feel that I am a bit of a lone voice on this thread but just maybe if more supporters felt the way I have and do we wouldn't have such a pathetic history.

'If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten'

All change is good. Our history is tragic.

For all the Oprah Winfrey and Dr Phil Watches on this thread...
Nothing to do with self loathing.
Nothing to do with getting picked on as a kid.
Nothing to do with Aliens.

Maybe just maybe I want to see a team I have supported for over 50 years make it to a day GF?
Maybe I am sick of supporters on this thread that get terry eyed watching the Hyde street band come out and play at Etihad.
Maybe I am sick of most posters just talking about the players and coaches and have a total disregard and lack of understanding about that back office requirements to run a footy club now?

I want success. And we are not going to get it until we become ruthless.

If we had won 10 more flags it would be a different story.
Collingwood has a history of success. We do not.
Collingwood has created most of the History 50 to 80 years ago. We did not.

The world has moved on. They can reap the benefits of their Successful history.

We can not.

Meanwhile. We are...
Missing 20,000 to 30,000 members.
Missing on sponsorship to the tune of 2 to 5 million per annum - minimum.
Missing out on 20,000 to 30,000 members out in the workforce potentially generating sponsorship opportunities.

We are the AFL's breeding ground and bitches. We have just enough money to go around.

GWS and Gold coast will have 4 flags between them in next 10 years.
Either of those teams will probably play off in 6 GF's. This will not leave much for the rest of the comp. Then you have us, Kangas etc at the end of the food line. We wont even get a look in.

Until we get more funds into the club we are cactus.

So associating ourselves to anything that hampers $1 of lost sponsorship opportunity is not to be considered.

Re-Branding the Western Bulldogs back to Footscray will cost us dollars.

I feel that I am a bit of a lone voice on this thread but just maybe if more supporters felt the way I have and do we wouldn't have such a pathetic history.

'If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten'

All change is good. Our history is tragic.

For all the Oprah Winfrey and Dr Phil Watches on this thread...
Nothing to do with self loathing.
Nothing to do with getting picked on as a kid.
Nothing to do with Aliens.

Maybe just maybe I want to see a team I have supported for over 50 years make it to a day GF?
Maybe I am sick of supporters on this thread that get teary eyed watching the Hyde street band come out and play at Etihad.
Maybe I am sick of most posters just talking about the players and coaches and have a total disregard and lack of understanding about that back office requirements to run a footy club now?

I want success. And we are not going to get it until we become ruthless.

No you're not. The rebels are loud and passionate for change (back), they have to be. Those supporting the status quo don't have to be loud - we have what we want. Don't mistake the seemingly quieter support on this board (I'm sure there is not much difference if you go back over the pages) for an illusion of a groundswell of opinion wanting to revert. It's a case of squeaky wheels.

Don't know if anyone has read the thread on the main board
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880130

Posts (3 or 4 of them) by an Essendon poster by the name of mcgarnacle make a mighty lot of sense.

I think if we actually went back to Footscray a fair amount of members would be upset. Upset enough not to renew. Whilst it was different to change our name it is not new and has happened in the past and will happen again. Good luck to the people calling for change but just don't see the political will at Board level to table the option. Therefore it is a pointless argument unless someone can get the Board to move on this. As most members are not really for it anyway what would be the point.

Time to except what we are.

I think if we actually went back to Footscray a fair amount of members would be upset. Upset enough not to renew. Whilst it was different to change our name it is not new and has happened in the past and will happen again. Good luck to the people calling for change but just don't see the political will at Board level to table the option. Therefore it is a pointless argument unless someone can get the Board to move on this. As most members are not really for it anyway what would be the point.

Time to except what we are.

I agree entirely. However after a poor season these empty vessels are controlling about 20% of the press coverage our club is getting.

We look like rabble. We had enough things not work on and off field this year. These imbeciles are causing more unnecessary damage.

Everyone deserves an opinion but the minority (I believe in this case) are making it tougher for the majority.

If we dont defuse their arguments the stupid lazy press run with it.

Then we...
Lose supporters.
Lose sponsorship opportunities.
Lose money.
Lose more support staff.
Lose more players.
Lose more games.

Continue to be on AFL life support. (ie their bitches)

Definitely continue to be losers.

Why?

Because a silent majority allowed a noisy minority run their pathetic loser agenda in a public forum.

Dont discuss it. We must bash their agenda out of existence.

Okay, this has gone from mildly amusing to just sad. I wonder how many of our supporters are so self-loathing, so weak, such turncoats? Also what's the point of winning a premiership if all that survives of the team I support is it's colours and mascot? I might as well celebrate when Central District wins...

Man someone must really be pissed off about the jumper change and the "Footscray" end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back