30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Theres more than you think.

Chinalparticularly. One problem is oval stadia are often huge and not economical for aussie rules in its development stages overseas

New zealand, being new world and cricket fans, has one or two

WESTPAC Stadium Wellington Has already held a couple of pre season games but the interest was underwhelmingWestpac stadium holds about 30k.

images
images

AMI Staduum Christchurch. about 38k but apparently needs lots of work after earthquake damage

4750566.jpg

Saw this one on TV the other day:
Oita Stadium in Japan. Open & closing roof, about 45,000 seats. Mostly for soccer but large enough to have an athletics track. Don't like the spars overhead casting shadows, but I'd like a 60,000 seater fixed roof version of this.

ooita3.jpg

Oita2.jpg

bigeye_01.jpg

Saw this one on TV the other day:
Oita Stadium in Japan. Open & closing roof, about 45,000 seats. Mostly for soccer but large enough to have an athletics track.

I'd love to see an AFL Home & Away game held here one day. The stadium has become somewhat of a white elephant since Oita Trinita was relegated to Division 2 of the J-League a few years ago. Their home game crowds now average under 10,000.

China - Proposed expansion country (according to Tony Woods)

Nantung Stadium Like oita and note the the generous wings - not just an athletics stadium

0730_B83.jpg

Shenzen University - which has a smaller oval alongside

SZ2011_Univesiade%20Sports%20Center.JPG

Immediately started thinking about Cricket venues, and stumbled across this stadium made for the World Cup (World Game, not cricket) in Durban. Looks like a smaller Sydney Olympic Stadium, fit in 69000 for a 20 over slogfest, near the coastline at sea level.....

Moses_Mabhida.jpg

If you want something smaller, then the main cricket venue Kingsmead is just down the road. A cross between Subiaco and Kardinia Park before redevelopment.

kingsmead.jpg

What about Lord's? Would it be big enough? I know they played a game at The Oval in 2005.

lords-cricket-grou_1204543c.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent Bridge in Nottingham could probably cater for a footy match. But realistically, it never will.

It's almost in a triangular, baseball style configuration. If you were to put a regulation AFL ground in it, you'd probably position it on an angle. One goal at the New Stand, the other facing the opposite corner between Radcliffe and Fox Road stands. Though perhaps just an up and down boundary would suffice.

groundPlan.jpg

TrentBridgecricketaerial-ba33454.jpg

trentbridge.jpg

The problem with virtually ll of these is that Australia Football (at the highest level) requires a larger paying surface than almost all of these grounds.
The Oval is huge by English standards, at roughly SCG size. Few other Test cricket grounds would do the job, but there would be some.
Similar thing with the ovals inside athletics tracks, they are often made to fit around soccer pitches. In NZ the cricket fields are often quite small, in order to get spectators close to the rugby.
There are some groundswhich could work, games have been played at the Oval, Wellington, and in South Africa (I cant recall if it was Johannesburg or Cape Town, I think the Wanderers in Jo'burg). There may be one or two of suitable size on the sub-continent as well.

Brazilians would be the last people on earth converted to AFL. but they do have grass all over the maracana oval

75,000 seats concrete is rotting due to being soaked in human urine due to lack of facilities

maracanastadium.jpg

Perfect if the londoners embraced the worlds best sport..

Olympic stadium

stadium_1763492b_1158961.jpg

Only the centre is going to be covered with grass (It will be the home of West Ham Utd. after the olympics)
As seen here:
West_Ham_United_%26_Newham_Council_Olympic_Stadium.jpg

So to host an AFL game they would have to rip up the athletics track, which the Olympic Stadium committee wouldn't like (the reason why tottenham got denied the stadium was they wanted to get rid of the athletics track). They want to keep the track for the 2017 athletics championship.

There are some groundswhich could work, games have been played at the Oval, Wellington, and in South Africa (I cant recall if it was Johannesburg or Cape Town, I think the Wanderers in Jo'burg). There may be one or two of suitable size on the sub-continent as well.

Was Supersport Park in Centurion - Carlton v Freo in 2008 I think (was just before the Collingwood v Adelaide match in Abu Dhabi from memory)

Just wanted to point out this is a mostly hypothetical thread.

I realise running tracks need to be ripped up to lay an AFL field but thats a lot cheaper than realigning stands.

Running tracks are standard sizes so a good visual indicator of a field being big enough. better if there is some 'wing' beyond the straight - or movable tiers like ANZ stadium

Again, its hypothetical (except westpac in NZ of course)

A couple from Turkey if you covered the whole internal field area with grass.

The Ataturk stadium in Istanbul which was mentioned for that idea of a 2015 100th anniversary ANZAC Day game.
images

Another is the Izmir Ataturk stadium
izmir_ataturk1.jpg

Over to DY Patil stadium in Mumbai. There's been talk about Richmond playing a preseason game in India.
dypsa_stadium7.jpg

New zealand, being new world and cricket fans, has one or two

WESTPAC Stadium Wellington Has already held a couple of pre season games but the interest was underwhelmingWestpac stadium holds about 30k.

images
images

AMI Staduum Christchurch. about 38k but apparently needs lots of work after earthquake damage

4750566.jpg

I think you'll find that the pre season match in Wellington was at the Basin Reserve...

basinreserve.jpg

Melbourne played Sydney there in 1998.

I was there two weeks ago, went to the NZ cricket museum which is in the old stand there, it's a lovely little ground. Windswept as **** though. They let people in to walk their dogs and all that too.

There's not going to be anything at AMI Stadium for a long time unfortunately. Christchurch is ****ed.

I think you'll find that the pre season match in Wellington was at the Basin Reserve...

basinreserve.jpg

Melbourne played Sydney there in 1998.

I was there two weeks ago, went to the NZ cricket museum which is in the old stand there, it's a lovely little ground. Windswept as **** though. They let people in to walk their dogs and all that too.

Adelaide v Brisbane was at Westpac Stadium in 2001.

Also, isn't Basin Reserve a glorified traffic island (I don't say that to bag the ground, just saying it as a unique feature of the ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back