Recreational Riders: Rides, Events Anything

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a 50km option, not that that is that light.

I did 80 on Saturday with plenty of breaks at an average pace but the weather is putting me off as well, I signed up for the Challenge Series at the start of the year and the Mt Macedon ride is on Sunday which looks like I will miss too. Biggest issue is a lack of confidence with people around me.

Smashed out this little jaunt this morning...

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/439115/

Haven't climbed for about 8mths since I've been training for other stuff…suffice to say the last 15kms hurt a tad. Was in the clouds from about mile 15 to 25, complete with drizzly rain, and the temp was 3 in Montepiano, but loved every second.

Off to the pub now to watch Fiorentina v Udinese…life is good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a good move, let us know how it is. How much did that set you back?

Was about $10 cheaper than Kinglake, I did Kinglake last year and when I saw both were on the same weekend thought that this one was better value. I signed up a few months ago so got a free OGE jersey, but they sent everything in the post last week and also has a hat, cap, t-shirt, bag, dvd, usb stick and a signed cycling cap when you finish on sunday. They are saying there will be most of OGE's roster for next year riding a well as some of girls in the Jayco-AIS team. No idea about what the course will be like though, 138 k's and some climbs through the Strathbogie ranges.

Was about $10 cheaper than Kinglake, I did Kinglake last year and when I saw both were on the same weekend thought that this one was better value. I signed up a few months ago so got a free OGE jersey, but they sent everything in the post last week and also has a hat, cap, t-shirt, bag, dvd, usb stick and a signed cycling cap when you finish on sunday. They are saying there will be most of OGE's roster for next year riding a well as some of girls in the Jayco-AIS team. No idea about what the course will be like though, 138 k's and some climbs through the Strathbogie ranges.

Sounds like a much much better option. Supersprint prices are becoming ridiculously exorbitant.

Could be a good move, let us know how it is. How much did that set you back?

Mini report kinda. Bit different type of set-up to other rides, the start/finish area is like an open/family day that footy clubs do, few marquees set up with Scott having display bikes, OGE Merchandise truck, food tents, wine tasting, cellar door open and doing sales, Scott McGory was there M/Cing the whole thing, interviewing riders and staff, autograph signing tent, band playing, plenty of things for families to do while waiting for the people riding to get back. The route, first 20k's to the highway near Seymour was a closed road, so it was OGE team car leading and a peloton 5/6 wide all the way down, groups started in waves with 3-4 pro's leading out each one, cop cars set up in the middle of the higway at 2 turns through Seymour stopping traffic for anybody on a bike, then onto Goulburn Valley Hwy. At a bit over the 50k mark I was checking my Garmin, it was rolling hills type stuff of 500m elevation and there was still a bunch of about 30 of us with 3 pro's mixed in and the ave speed was 35.5. At this point my I was like, I ain't fit enough for this and dropped off, at about 70k's there was an 8k climb which had a few steep ramps but overall wasn't too bad. At the top of the climb they organise a hall and have a mandatory lunch stop with ladies making sandwiches and cakes. Then downhill and another small climb (maybe 2k's), this whole bit was closed road as well, and then mostly flat all the way back to Seymour, cops still there stopping traffic and back onto the closed road. There wasn't much complain about, maybe the start was bit disorganised but I got over it quick.

Mini report kinda. Bit different type of set-up to other rides, the start/finish area is like an open/family day that footy clubs do, few marquees set up with Scott having display bikes, OGE Merchandise truck, food tents, wine tasting, cellar door open and doing sales, Scott McGory was there M/Cing the whole thing, interviewing riders and staff, autograph signing tent, band playing, plenty of things for families to do while waiting for the people riding to get back. The route, first 20k's to the highway near Seymour was a closed road, so it was OGE team car leading and a peloton 5/6 wide all the way down, groups started in waves with 3-4 pro's leading out each one, cop cars set up in the middle of the higway at 2 turns through Seymour stopping traffic for anybody on a bike, then onto Goulburn Valley Hwy. At a bit over the 50k mark I was checking my Garmin, it was rolling hills type stuff of 500m elevation and there was still a bunch of about 30 of us with 3 pro's mixed in and the ave speed was 35.5. At this point my I was like, I ain't fit enough for this and dropped off, at about 70k's there was an 8k climb which had a few steep ramps but overall wasn't too bad. At the top of the climb they organise a hall and have a mandatory lunch stop with ladies making sandwiches and cakes. Then downhill and another small climb (maybe 2k's), this whole bit was closed road as well, and then mostly flat all the way back to Seymour, cops still there stopping traffic and back onto the closed road. There wasn't much complain about, maybe the start was bit disorganised but I got over it quick.

That sounds awesome TBH, was the goodie bag good as well?

That sounds awesome TBH, was the goodie bag good as well?

Yeah they sent it out about 2 weeks before mostly OGE merch, hat, bag, dvd, t-shirt, USB stick, and if you signed up early enough you got an OGE jersey. But supposedly next year is going to be a different jersey so they must have had to clear everything out.

Any of youse crazy cats gonna saddle up on Sundee for a nice trundle through the bayside suburbs of Melburn in the Challenge half-ironman distance tri?

You can count me in...

Will be on the first run aid station, my triathlon days are behind me due to knee issues (preventing running). Will be riding the tour in 2-3 years at the spritely age of 36 (hell if Jens can do it so can i...)

Will be on the first run aid station, my triathlon days are behind me due to knee issues (preventing running). Will be riding the tour in 2-3 years at the spritely age of 36 (hell if Jens can do it so can i...)

Mate, I forgot to reply last night…just wanted to say top job for volunteering today. God knows we needed you lot and I thanked as many of the vollies as I could. Kudos.

(and Jens can do many things normal men can't!!…;))

Remove this Banner Ad

Back