Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lowden deal went right to the end...it's almost as if he was holding back for a contract from Port? :drunk:

Surely neither your mob nor ours will put Baulderstone on the primary list having each traded for a ruckman. I would have thought it would be a rookie list job and then if Redden is still unavailable on the LIT surely you can promote Baulderstone (or whatever ruckman you get). Would seem to be a luxury putting another ruckman on the main list.

Ryder could be out for 12 months - nobody can give Port an absolute rolled gold, caste iron guarantee that he wont be out that long. Redden will struggle to be AFL fit before Rd 15 next year and might not play much SANFL at all. That means we are potentially down to the s**t of last year that Lobbe could have to ruck most of the year by himself. We need a 4th ruckman no ifs or buts to cover the uncertainties. No stuffing around get him with pick 57. I would get a 5th one as well. And maybe even a 6th one - a developing kid - I'd put on the rookie list.

Its not luxury its reality. We have plenty of bloody 5 foot 9 to 6 foot fast little blokes. They cant ruck when the others go down. Do you buy boat insurance if you only own a car? I don't.

This isn't a deep super draft, so pick 57 v rookie pick #16 isn't much difference in abilities.

So how do we get that much-needed depth ruck with question marks over Ryder and Redden?

Already delisted:
Shaun McKernan (lol), Angus Graham (LOL), Sam Michael (from Brissy, don't know much about him, but Shrewd Vossy might be a fan?), Orren Stephenson (don't think we'd take a 30+ year old).

Possible delistees:
Grimley talked about on the Hawthorn board. I'd be surprised if they delisted him after losing Lowden, but would be a fantastic option if he's available. Slim pickings other than that. Could Freo maybe let Griffin go?

State league:

Sam Baulderstone is the obvious one. Don't know enough about the state leagues to name any others.
Slim pickings...

My first reaction is yes you should uppercut yourself, but if Grimley or some other half-decent ruck doesn't get delisted between now and the draft, McKernan might honestly be the best of a bad bunch. Which is depressing to think about. But I'd rather McKernan than nothing.

We give him a ton of s**t and rightly so, but he does actually show occasional glimpses of looking like a footballer. Good athlete, decent contested mark, but he's soft and lazy. Could Kern, Burgess, Voss and the Port Adelaide culture turn him around? He'd also probably slip until the rookie draft, so we could get him without using up a main list spot.

No thug policy!

Need more ruckman - Baulderstone is a must get now that the crows tool Lowden and Giles went to Essendon. Paddy and Redo might not be around for a few months so need to find 2 more on main and rookie lists.

I reckon Adelaide will try to get to Baulderstone first. They now have picks 14,35,43,59 and 86 (plus others depending on delistings). We have 57 and 75 (plus others depending on delistings). I'd take Baulderstone with 57.

Out - main list
Cassisi
Hitchcock
Heath
one more

In
Paddy
Mitchell upgrade counted as 1 of 3 minimum draft picks
#57 Baulderstone
#75 someone else

Wait, why is Mitchell being upgraded all of a sudden?

We can't - in good faith offer him a 3rd year on a rookie contract, on cut rate pay, after we played him for 13 games and he was emergency for the 3 finals.

We gave Paul Stewart a 2 year deal probably a guaranteed base of $100k+ per year and how many games did he play in 2014?

We can't - in good faith offer him a 3rd year on a rookie contract, on cut rate pay, after we played him for 13 games and he was emergency for the 3 finals.

We gave Paul Stewart a 2 year deal probably a guaranteed base of $100k+ per year and how many games did he play in 2014?

Grumble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we know for a fact that Redden won't be right for rd 1? He was a pretty fair prospect as of round 10 2013.

I don't think he has started running yet. Has been riding a bike since August. If the boys go to Dubai and he isn't on the plane, like last years preseason, you can then forget the majority of 2015. He was supposed to be back by Rd 12 2014 after he had his shoulder and hip and then knee operations between July and October last year. Then he dd his knee again in May 2014.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-08-29/redden-signs-oneyear-extension-on-ride-to-recovery

Redden has incorporated cycling into his current rehabilitation program and will progress to running as early as next week.

If things progress as expected, he should be well-positioned to join his teammates at the start of the 2014/15 pre-season.

“I’ve been on the bike for the last couple of weeks and I’m hoping to start running within the next week,” Redden said.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-08-29/redden-signs-oneyear-extension-on-ride-to-recovery

Can't help but feel sorry for Gorringe: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-16/gorringe-trade-hits-a-paddysized-snag

B0CvwmxCQAAL4Ly.jpg

Seems like he's bound to cop it from everywhere. Hopefully we can get him across next year and that there's no hard feelings!

Does anyone here think he would make a really good tagger? Sure he kicks like a *******, but he would have to be one of the quickest, fittest players in the team. I would accept his current output if he was limiting the opposition. The other comment also is right. I can't see how you can just have a mature age player as a rookie for 3 years. Either back him in or delist him and let him go somewhere else. There are still clubs like Melbourne where he would get a regular game.

Does anyone here think he would make a really good tagger? Sure he kicks like a *******, but he would have to be one of the quickest, fittest players in the team. I would accept his current output if he was limiting the opposition. The other comment also is right. I can't see how you can just have a mature age player as a rookie for 3 years. Either back him in or delist him and let him go somewhere else. There are still clubs like Melbourne where he would get a regular game.

Never looked at him like that but yeah why not give him a try. His kicking is no worse than Kornes and he's nearly as fit. Personally I don't believe he should have got games in front of Newton and shouldn't we also be looking at the Hoon as that shut down running player.

Too small and doesn't have the contested ability or defensive nous. We tried that against Essendon and Goddard and Stanton both smashed him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back