Recycled Players: Premiership Players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomas is part of the problem.... its Dimma's love affair with stoppages and winning the clearances... thats the problem.

He has to develop a similar love affair with stopping opposition counter attacks from opposition backlines & opposition spread. Funny our spread was our strength... (Injuries & the need to bring in more speed, especially playing 3 X 200cm players ?)

From an outsiders perspective I was jealous of your clubs ability to find undervalued players from other clubs. However when you went and recruited Edwards it became obvious you'd taken it too far. Leaving his questionable footballing ability aside this is a bloke who has no leadership qualities, lacks a decent work ethic and is known as a bit of a party boy.
To be fair we lacked that 3rd tall, which was why he got a gig.

Exactly. Give him a go IN THE MIDFIELD. If he fails he fails. Move on. This should have happened ages ago. Start turning these guys over more regularly. We aren't a top side, we aren't close because we have **** all upside and in fact old guys go backwards.

If he fails, I reckon he could be a good tagger (potentially, with an improved tank).

We don't need a defensive forward. We need to be more attack focused, not about negating like the Blues
Sorry but about 90% of our list only one run way. They are lazy and don't track back. Did you see how congested our forward line was last night compared to how much space they had? That's because our players are either lazy or lack the fitness to run two ways all game.

Do you also see how easily opposition teams clear from our forward 50? Of course we don't need every player to be a negating tagger. But we could definetely use someone in our forward 50 who's primary focus is to create pressure and lock the ball in. Nothing says they can't still contribute with 10-15 touches and a couple of goals the other way. We are one of the laziest defensive sides in the league across the whole ground and have been for the last decade.

does Helbig deserve a call up? apparently his form has been s**t in the 2s
Considering the effort that has been provided by some of our current players playing in the big leagues, we should at least give him a decent crack, also since his contract is almost up he'd be wanting to give it his all and perform well when given the opportunity. look at Griffo, yesterdays game aside he's been fighting tooth and nail for a new contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crap... he is a mature aged rookie FFS....
who will play every game this season, now that will be embarrassing. Never ever seen a worse kick of the footy.
Good kicking skills mantra sadly seems to have fallen by the wayside. Thomas, Jackson, Grigg,Banfield, Petterd, all shocking kicks. Chaplin not too flash either but he is a tall KPD, something we really required. Was very good last year but this year? Average to say the least. May be missing having Rance back there?
I don't think we can have Thomas and Jacko in the same side. Young Miles impressed me a lot during the NAB challenge series and would be a much better fit for the side than Matt Thomas. But we upgrade Thomas and Stephenson???
Have been a long time defender of Ty Vickery but no more. Just watched the Dees beat Blues and I tell you what, I hope Dimma, Jack, Ty and Griff were watching how much leading to the ball carrier was done by Dawes, Dunn and especially Frawley (took 14 marks, mostly on the lead!!!!). Gave them an option every time, none of this winning the back position in a marking contest we have been dishing up. Lazy forward play hoping for the cheap possie over the back. I am so sick of it. We will remain an average side until we improve our F50 entry strategy which I have bagged unendingly since early last season. We just bomb it to a contest every time, something the good sides never do unless forced.

Sorry but about 90% of our list only one run way. They are lazy and don't track back. Did you see how congested our forward line was last night compared to how much space they had? That's because our players are either lazy or lack the fitness to run two ways all game.

Do you also see how easily opposition teams clear from our forward 50? Of course we don't need every player to be a negating tagger. But we could definetely use someone in our forward 50 who's primary focus is to create pressure and lock the ball in. Nothing says they can't still contribute with 10-15 touches and a couple of goals the other way. We are one of the laziest defensive sides in the league across the whole ground and have been for the last decade.
Easy way to fix that Juss. Do what Roos is doing at Melbourne, and yes, I know they have been belted so far up until today. BUT, they were always going to take a while to adjust.
The answer, play one on one footy all over the bloody ground. Each player responsible for one direct opponent. If one is not winning or breaking even, swap them over with another.

One-quarter of our list is under developed?

Matt Dea 5th season, 24 games, should be 40+
Jake Batchelor 4th season, 39 games, should be 50+
David Astbury 5th season, 32 games, should be 40+
Ben Griffiths 5th season, 22 games, should be 40+
Brad Helbig 4th season, 16 games, should be 30+

Elton, Arnot, O'Hanlon and McDonough should have all played 5-10 games more...

The thing I don't understand is why do we keep these guys on our list only to overlook them for recycled hacks. Very very few players develop in the VFL because the competition standard turns them to s**t.

We should be using the recycled players to prop up our VFL team so they are not the shittest team in the VFL. That way blokes like McBean and Elton actually get more opportunities to prove they are worth being selected.

When all fit our AFL team should look like this:
B: Morris, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Deledio
HF: Arnot, Griffiths, McDonough
F: Lloyd, Riewoldt, 2nd Ruck/Vickery/McBean/Elton/Additional Small Forward
R: Maric/Hampson, Martin, Jackson
Int: Conca, Vlastuin, Lennon
Sub: Gordon

And our VFL team should look like this
B: Newman, Chaplin, McIntosh
HB: Petterd, Darrou, Dea
C: Grigg, Thomas, Knights
HF: S.Edwards, A.Edwards, Vickery/Elton/McBean
FF: King, Vickery/Elton/McBean, Banfield
R: Stephenson, Foley, Miles
Int: Williams, Helbig, O'Hanlon

Injured players or out of form players in the AFL should be replaced by best performing young players first (if there is an option) or best performing players. For example with Deledio out Foley or Grigg would be in, or with Rance out Chaplin should be in.

I know we enjoy having recycled players that offer a 5-15% improvement, if any, in their position but the reality is the blokes in the AFL team are more likely to win us a flag than the blokes in the VFL with maybe the exception of Knights and Chaplin, and any of the young developing players.

When you have a good look at our list we really lack any youth depth because we have overloaded on recycled players.

HOW MUCH BETTER DOES THAT LOOK? I should be coach :)

No I disagree. Scores from clearances especially from centre clearances are gold. We are nowhere near extreme imo. In fact we don't do it well at all at the moment.
Youve misread my point. We try and create stoppages and try and score from them

I think our combined drafting/trading and FA work has been very good. We needed to address the poor drafting in that 2003 to 2006 period by bringing in these players, there was no other option. We couldn't go to the draft as the new clubs had all the picks in the world.

You have to look at this by thinking this was THE only solution, there was no other option.

The thing I don't understand is why do we keep these guys on our list only to overlook them for recycled hacks. Very very few players develop in the VFL because the competition standard turns them to s**t.

We should be using the recycled players to prop up our VFL team so they are not the shittest team in the VFL. That way blokes like McBean and Elton actually get more opportunities to prove they are worth being selected.

Injured players or out of form players in the AFL should be replaced by best performing young players first (if there is an option) or best performing players. For example with Deledio out Foley or Grigg would be in, or with Rance out Chaplin should be in.

I know we enjoy having recycled players that offer a 5-15% improvement, if any, in their position but the reality is the blokes in the AFL team are more likely to win us a flag than the blokes in the VFL with maybe the exception of Knights and Chaplin, and any of the young developing players.

When you have a good look at our list we really lack any youth depth because we have overloaded on recycled players.

I love that team! The problem I see also is that the 2nd's are full of hacks and has beens. Only a few young kids there to develop in Elton/Mcintosh/Mcbean/Miles/Dea. And most alarmingly for me is that we have bugger all elite running mids which is what the game is all about now. Mcintosh is the only one and so far he looks 50/50 to make it.

Understand what you are saying, but maybe winning 15 games meant these kids didn't much of a crack. Add to that the fact we had a good year injury wise as well.

Understand what you are saying, but maybe winning 15 games meant these kids didn't much of a crack. Add to that the fact we had a good year injury wise as well.
I think it is a result of pre -ejaculation .
Last season we were far from locked on loaded .
If things are handled correctly this season and more games are put into the players who have been in the club for 3-4 years , we could be locked and loaded .
The recycled players who were bought in for depth need to become depth not first picked .

Your wished 22 , lids for Jackson is what should run out next week .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back