Mod. Notice Regarding off-topic posts and personal attacks - automatic warnings for both until the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello all,

I hope you are enjoying the off-season on the BigFooty Geelong Board. It has been a somewhat tumultuous time with the personnel change at the club, giving us quite a bit to discuss but also doing so with some heavy hearts.

On the flip side, there have been (and will be) some quiet times where there is not much news at all. In these times, threads like Willo_'s Friday Inquisition can break the monotony and, at the same time, give us a medium to learn more about what drives some of our prominent posters.

Pleasingly, in the past couple of years The Scratching Post has sprung back to an oasis from the desert it once was. This has given many posters the chance to kick back and discuss things in a more informal environment.

What I must stress is that, although these boards (and many of the users) may overlap, their purposes and therefore their guidelines differ. For the greater good, threads on Geelong Board must stay relevant and on-topic otherwise we will lose our reason to exist completely. Please (as much as you can) stay on-topic on the Geelong Board, and refrain from over-the-top posting of memes/irrelevant images and emoticons.

Further, in recent times (spurred on by both some upheaval at the club and off-topic posts mentioned above), the moderators and admin have noticed more personal attacks on this board. These are not tolerated under BigFooty and board rules - we want this forum to be a place where everyone feels welcome.

Harsher approach until the National Draft

Mostly the moderators take into context the poster/s and the circumstances of an issue before dealing with it. But until the National Draft the moderators will be taking a slightly stricter approach to:
- personal attacks, offensive posts and flame wars
- completely off-topic/irrelevant (non-football) posts
- completely off-topic/irrelevant (non-football) images
- excessive use of emoticons

Of course, there is no objective line drawn here and there are grey areas - so before you post, please think to yourself whether you might be bordering on creating disunity.

Also, please do not reply to offending posts, but use the report button.

:rainbow: Hopefully this will restore the board and sub-boards to running smoothly for their purpose. :rainbow:

If you have any queries with this approach or any other matters, please take it up with a moderator or BigFooty admin.

Cheers,

SJ winty Turbocat Pure_Ownage
Geelong Board moderators

I think that two rainbow emoticons bracketing one sentence is excessive. One would have been sufficient.

No just doesn't feel right to me,but hey each to their own I guess,I'm not preaching here,just voicing my heart felt view.
Another viewpoint, for balance...

I like a robust discussion, and I want to see questionable positions/opinions challenged by other posters, playing the ball of course.
However, I have no issue with reporting posts that I find downright abusive.

Not going to lie..... When I got a notification about being tagged in this thread I thought I was in trouble

:D

What happens when someone is reported, by other posters (not by the person being intimidated, because they've given up reporting offensive posts), but nothing happens? Yet, if the person being victimised twitches a whisker, a tonne of infraction points come avalanching down? :)

It's a great idea to practise rules, but can this "harsher approach" be balanced with a measure of consistency + fairness, please? There those who have personal + vindictive agendas, who only ever report 'certain' people for Off Topic comments, yet the thread has pages of OT comments, in fact, even the person reporting the OT comment has posted OT comments. If one person is sanctioned for an OT comment, then all those posting should be sanctioned!

As a result of people getting bent + twisted about OT comments, I started a thread on the Scratching Post - Bavarder, the off topic thread, where people can continue their OT convos, to their hearts' content -

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bavarder-the-off-topic-thread.1076457/page-152

May I respectfully suggest that Mods refer OT posters to this thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsher approach until the National Draft

Mostly the moderators take into context the poster/s and the circumstances of an issue before dealing with it. But until the National Draft the moderators will be taking a slightly stricter approach to:
- personal attacks, offensive posts and flame wars
- completely off-topic/irrelevant (non-football) posts
- completely off-topic/irrelevant (non-football) images
- excessive use of emoticons

So can we go nuts now and attack each other,post offensive stuff,go off topic and post images ?

:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back