Resting players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross is experimenting with a new way of resting players. ;) You will note how he rested Micky and Lachie last night. Watch them run amok against Melbourne. Seriously though, they were way down on their usual Time on Ground numbers. Barlow had 69 mins on ground, not much more than Tabs who was subbed off.

Next time we are ten goals up in the third sub out Sandi.

When Dawson/Silvagni is back do the same with McPharlin.

Guys like Barlow, Mundy, D.Pearce, Hill, Neale etc can be given a week off against the weaker sides if they have slight niggles but we don't need to do another St Kilda 2013/ Tassie 2010 job. Just one at most two at once.

Certainly worrying that Freo are thinking about keeping Mcfarlin till mid season! IMO the game against melb was the perfect one for him to have a rest as the Essendon/NM game won't be a walk in the park especially after 6 day breaks.

How far is silvagni out? Tbh resting players against melbourne isn't the way to go atm. They are one of the teams that won't be taken lightly and Ross knows that for sure. I'd say perhaps Sandi to be rested and give griffin or Hannath a run. Wish Dawson would hurry up, as much as Luke is playing superb..

How far is silvagni out? Tbh resting players against melbourne isn't the way to go atm. They are one of the teams that won't be taken lightly and Ross knows that for sure. I'd say perhaps Sandi to be rested and give griffin or Hannath a run. Wish Dawson would hurry up, as much as Luke is playing superb..

He trained fully on Thursday and word was he was up for selection.

Point is moot now. Silvagni appears to have done a hamstring. Peel thread.

Certainly worrying that Freo are thinking about keeping Mcfarlin till mid season! IMO the game against melb was the perfect one for him to have a rest as the Essendon/NM game won't be a walk in the park especially after 6 day breaks.

If McPharlin needs a rest after round 4 then we are not in the best position with him. What happens come finals time? He plays 1, 2 potentially 3 finals before hopefully a GF.... He needs to build a base and condition himself early in the season before managing it in the later rounds.

If McPharlin needs a rest after round 4 then we are not in the best position with him. What happens come finals time? He plays 1, 2 potentially 3 finals before hopefully a GF.... He needs to build a base and condition himself early in the season before managing it in the later rounds.
Nah he would be fine, cause we would have a week off during semi final week ;)

All this resting stuff is bonkers. As its been said, if we need to rest players after 4 rounds we're not in great shape. If players do have bad niggles that could get worse, then I would hope that they'd be rested, regardless if we are 4-0 or 0-4.

If we are to rest players, i believe the best time to rest them is either during the bye or during the period we have our heaviest training regime..
Round 11 (Gold coast), 12 (BYE), 13 (Coll), 14 (Brisbane). Good run of games and resting over the bye allows players to miss one less game.....
If that is not favourable, rest them during the period we have our heaviest training regime...During 2015 pre-season we started to rack up ~2 injuries per game on the back of a heavy workload (~40% more running). The training usually ramps up before finals (if we get in finals that is) and strengthening our veterans may prove useful

Didn't he pretty much do that once? Can't remember if it was the GF or before where he had like 7 weeks off and came back pretty good.

He burned out because the club didn't manage him well last year, when its clear he can't play all 23 rounds. When you have an opportunity to rest, you should take it.

The only problem is that the game in Melb where players need all the experience they can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he pretty much do that once? Can't remember if it was the GF or before where he had like 7 weeks off and came back pretty good.

He burned out because the club didn't manage him well last year, when its clear he can't play all 23 rounds. When you have an opportunity to rest, you should take it.

The only problem is that the game in Melb where players need all the experience they can get.

There is a difference between having time off and being injured

I see no reason for resting players with the exception of McPharlin and possibly Pav and Sandi (one game).

However, what I hope not to see again with our now found depth is players playing when they are clearly injured. We made some mistakes last year in that regard.

Did Lyon say some players would be rested or managed. A over thirty player with a niggle might been 'managed' but if fully fit I would not like to tell Pav he is not playing. Having said that the trip to Tas would be the game that a few players with niggles might be rested.

Not quite. Luke had an undiagnosed tendon injury last year. As far as his age is concerned his biological age and career age are different; he ostensibly did not play last year yet his birth certificate shows he is a year older.
That is why Luke was able to put in a pre-season running regime whilst his teammates were holidaying.
He is looking great this year which reflects his uninterrupted preparation.

This is worth a discussion again.

Upcoming Fixtures -
GWS - Home
St Kilda - Away
Derby
North - Away
Melbourne - Home
Port - Away

McPharlin, Pavlich, D Pearce, Ibbotson, Mundy could probably all benefit from a rest.

With Dawson being available this week, I think we should get some games into him and give McPharlin rest this week or next week.

When Johnson is back, give Ibbotson a rest for a week and perhaps through A Pearce forward to give McPharlin a rest.

D Pearce, Mundy can be replaced with anyone of the mid's e.g. Blakely, Weller, Mzungu etc.

I think we a guaranteed a top 2 spot, as I can't see us dropping two of the last 6 matches and the eagles still have to play Hawks.

No resting until the Melb and Port games. I don't think we will have locked anything in position wise until we've played the derby. However at a pinch I'd consider resting 211 this week and if Dawson comes in then I'd give Luke a rest against a team that may have some key forward issues but I'm not sure who that would be.

Our form lately would suggest no game can be taken lightly.

No resting until the Melb and Port games. I don't think we will have locked anything in position wise until we've played the derby. However at a pinch I'd consider resting 211 this week and if Dawson comes in then I'd give Luke a rest against a team that may have some key forward issues but I'm not sure who that would be.

Our form lately would suggest no game can be taken lightly.

Sounds the best way of doing it for mine. Get top two - or top spot - locked away by round 21 ideally then we can rest players as needed to have them cherry ripe for a 6 day break (most likely) for first week of finals

I don't think resting Sandilands and playing Clarke will have a significant negative impact on the game against GWS. Sandilands would smash them in the ruck, Griffin and Clarke would dominate. Good opportunity to rest Sandilands. Gets him refreshed for a tough derby clash.

Agree that when Dawson and Silvagni are ready then MacPharlin should get a game off. The Melbourne or Port game for me.

Any and all of Mundy, Barlow, Fyfe, Pearce or Hill should be looking at a day off then as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back