Analysis Review v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Over all I was very pleased with the way we played. I was thinking under 5 goals
The problem with your analysis is the Bulldogs played with a younger side than us last night. So you cant say we are in a Rebuild when we put that side on the field. Dogs ave age last night was 24. Ours was 25.

Back in Rd 6 we had a younger side than them - and we won (24.2 v 24.4).

I am happy to lose when we are rebuilding. But don't sell us 'Future-fest' but then deliver 'Dad's Army.'

The list age is irrelevant really we had many more over 30s who bought our age up but have hardly any mid career guys who should be hitting their straps. The Dogs have Morris and Murphy and that about it who are in the older brigade. They then have a huge glut of guys at 50 to 100 games who should be peaking. Our list profile is very uneven.

Or disregard those sorts of opinions as opinions born from inherent bias, everyone wants their own club to succeeded over everyone else, they belittle other players, staff, clubs all the time. Next week they would even give 2 shits about it and neither will those getting huffy and puffy at the verbal jousting.

Every club has them. Total NFI dickheads who spout rubbish and talk s**t without a clue. My club has them, so does yours.
Every club has supporters who actually understand and respect both the game and the opposition. These people come up with sensible, informed and interesting points of view. My club has them, so does yours.

The team boards can be ridiculous at times. They can be like a car accident…. you know it's wrong to stare but you can't help yourself. I choose to ignore the former, embrace the latter and hang out on The Bay where it's much more civil despite the bad reputation it cops.

For what it's worth, well played last night…. while not as entertaining (or heart-breaking from my point of view) as last time, both of our young sides (including coaches) will have learnt so much from such a defensive zoning game. The future is bright for both of us despite the petty slagging off on our board and yours.

Anyway, you can forget about us now. You reckon we're bad…. The Bombers have got some major knuckle-heads who will be invading these pages in the next few days. Good luck!

I'm not as irritated as some.

I do think Gilbert was a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder. It's not fair to slam him for his kicking now, it's been part of the package for yonks.

Same with Schneids and his rushing in front of goal, its been part of the package for yonks.

Ray and his indecision at times, been part of the package...

Well, you get the idea.

Understand their weaknesses, and then decide if the good outweighs the bad. Unfair to expect that stuff to suddenly be non existent.

Is what it is.

For mine, Schneids to retire, Gilbo to trade, Ray to keep.

I didn't think Dogs were gonna let that one go coming into the match, they very nearly did though. Not sure what that means for them.

I know there's a lot of list management and looking after young bodies, but gee it is so much more exciting when we play McKenzie Acres, etc.

Still not sold on Delaney as a long term starting best 22.

Disappointed in Savage. Was he tagged? Was he given a shut down role?

Either the Dogs were well drilled or our run was poor, but too often the ball was in the hands of our poor users coming out of defence.

Steven is great, Dangerfield uses the ball like that week in week out. Steven is generally much better.

Plenty of room and time for improvement with Membrey. Too often he is a nearly man. I hope that is not due to his size and therefore unfixeable and more fitness.
I thought Delaney played well on Boyd

Frustrated to lose a game to mediocre opposition who we dominated.

Butchered the ball constantly and turnovers cost us the game.

Frustrated because our game style and structure is in place but the polish is just not there.

Footscray supporters booing Ray in his 200th and Riewoldt - all class.

Boyd is a $1 million a year spud. Will be a poor mans Tippett.
poor man's Tippett. Mmmm?

I think the Bulldogs-Saints rivalry is one of the most amusing in the AFL. Nearly every Dog's supporter i know absolutely loath the Saints and nearly every Saints supporter i know are completely apathetic towards the dogs. In fact....I secretly like them...but don't let them know that...

In regards to the ******* ugly style of footy we played, it was pretty expected and I'm actually very impressed with the Saints ability to switch to a new game plan. Haven't seen such a slow style from us under AR and considering we were on the receiving end of a 40 point first quarter by the dogs earlier this year it was clear we needed to shut their run down from the get go; and it clearly worked. Really, we were unlucky not to steal a win.

Not a game for the ages but an interesting one nonetheless.

I think the Bulldogs-Saints rivalry is one of the most amusing in the AFL. Nearly every Dog's supporter i know absolutely loath the Saints and nearly every Saints supporter i know are completely apathetic towards the dogs. In fact....I secretly like them...but don't let them know that...

In regards to the ******* ugly style of footy we played, it was pretty expected and I'm actually very impressed with the Saints ability to switch to a new game plan. Haven't seen such a slow style from us under AR and considering we were on the receiving end of a 40 point first quarter by the dogs earlier this year it was clear we needed to shut their run down from the get go; and it clearly worked. Really, we were unlucky not to steal a win.

Not a game for the ages but an interesting one nonetheless.

I loved that game it was exciting down to the wire. If we pipped them we would have loved it. It reminded me of those Lyon era finals where we ground out wins by close margins. The pressure was enormous both ways and an inexperienced team held up under finals like pressure. The negativity is a bit over the top. Realistically finishing lower gives us the best chance to recruit for the future while games like that install self belief and a never say die culture. Last year was depressing, this year I go in feeling like we will take it up to most teams.

FWIW, the game was ugly because the Bulldogs flooded all 18 men inside our 50 for the entire match, hence our end score line failing to capitalise on our relatively high? number of inside 50s for that type of game.

Sure, we pushed players back too, but not to the extent the Dogs did.... It kinda pisses me off that we are the ones always blamed for making the game 'ugly'

i hate the dogs. i hate playing them. in fact i hate watching them play

its like dog s**t, everyone knows it exists, everyone knows it happens. but if your on a nice stroll through the park or the beach, the last thing you want to see is some dog s**t. in fact you just dont want to see it at all. even if you dont step in it, you still find it offensive and it sours the walk. if you step in it then your absolutely livid

thats how the dogs are too me. hate seeing it. if we happen to step in it and lose to them it ruins your day

pathetic club

having said that i still like them more than freo (dont get me started on that one)

its like dog s**t, everyone knows it exists, everyone knows it happens. but if your on a nice stroll through the park or the beach, the last thing you want to see is some dog s**t. in fact you just dont want to see it at all. even if you dont step in it, you still find it offensive and it sours the walk. if you step in it then your absolutely livid

thats how the dogs are too me. hate seeing it. if we happen to step in it and lose to them it ruins your day

pathetic club
Guessing not your 2nd club then :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pathetic club

having said that i still like them more than freo (dont get me started on that one)

You've got some issues. lol

I have respect for the Dogs- their playing group, their style, Beveridge, they have a bright future and will be premiership contenders in a few years. I don't however have respect for a lot of their supporters (not all, there are the good ones like in all teams). I just spent five minutes reading through their board and jeeze, never seen more hatred in a single board toward a club, not even towards Collingwood, and that's after they won. I'd hate to see what it'd be like if they'd lost, which was a very real possibility if we took our opportunities.

Also, I notice a lot of clubs pointing the finger at Saints saying that we're not a young team at all and have a stronger list than anyone, and that we're making excuses for losing. Technically, that's true, we have a lot of over 30's who are past their prime and get given spots to be leaders for our young guys. But we have very few players in the middle of their careers playing their best footy. We have a bunch of over 30's, a bunch of young guys and very, very few in between- that doesn't make a list strong by any means. Our old guys are near the end of their careers and past that, we'd have the youngest team in the AFL by a mile- that's why we're a "young team" as we put it.

Last edited:
I like Dunstan, but he rushes his kicking. this is due to inexperience and not being the quickest. He will improve each year and he'll will be elite.

pathetic club

:thumbsu:
eb6140942424697bf997986aac9b2d682cd18a18fe192e4f81ba32f17b629a24.jpg

I know there will be many frustrated by Gilbo, but his job on Stringer was outstanding. Completely shut down FIGJAM Jake.

Schneider out of it. He'll have felt it too.

Dunstan needs a huge preseason. Yes he's very, very clean and calm and he uses it really well but his running isn't up to scratch.

Steven tried his heart out and was great for the most but his kicking can kill us, especially when he tires, but he more than makes up for it.

Billings plays, we win. He would have made Wood accountable in the air and on the ground. As it is our smalls were terrible, though that's an anomaly.

I'm still concerned that our game plan won't work against the best sides, those who are too slick for us, those that will patiently work their way through our press and find the inevitable loose. That being said this might just be the case of fatigue, but we're seemingly always caught out by mids floating forward of the contest.

Word

I hate this team. Last year was nice and easy. Show up, game was over by quarter time, get flogged. This year, between tonight and the Melbourne and Essendon games I feel like the stress of close finishes has shortened my life by several years at least. After those close Grand Finals I don't think I can afford to lose too many more years at this point.

Harden up.

Bad luck tonight guys.

As a Port supporter, there's a natural element of bias here, but I firmly believe Tredrea has been the best CHF of the 21st century.

I still believe that, but I finally have to concede I will no longer argue his case vs Riewoldt. If people want to believe Roo is the best, they can and I understand why. He's earned it. He's a champion that keeps on keeping on and both 2 great players. He is a treasure to our game and a pleasure to watch.

I will gladly argue the case of both vs J. Brown or any other contender, however!

Good luck for the rest of the season and your rebuild and resurgence under Richo! Unlike Walsh, who can suck a fat one, many of us at Port wish him well in his career and future.

Ahahahahahahaha. Tredrea. Aha. Oh, god. That's funny.

Dogs fans hate us cause of 09, they hate Roo cause of 09, maybe that's easier than looking at their own sides deficiencies that saw them ultimately fall short?

It hardly matters, neither side would of beaten Geelong IMHO, the burden of expectation appeared heavy on both lists that year.

Both supporter groups would agree that its probably the biggest obstacle to a flag.

Here's to shackle-less contenders...

Dogs fans hate us cause of 09, they hate Roo cause of 09, maybe that's easier than looking at their own sides deficiencies that saw them ultimately fall short?

It hardly matters, neither side would of beaten Geelong IMHO, the burden of expectation appeared heavy on both lists that year.

Both supporter groups would agree that its probably the biggest obstacle to a flag.

Here's to shackle-less contenders...
We definitely could have beaten Geelong that year. Thought we were better than them for most of the year really.

We definitely could have beaten Geelong that year. Thought we were better than them for most of the year really.

Really?

I have a lot of reluctant respect for that Geelong.

I never saw anyone definitely beating them.

Sides like that bring it when it matters, regardless of their seasons form.

Sides like ours, sadly they are exposed to grainy vision of their sides last flag and old guys telling them they don't want to be the only premiership players existing, supporter groups telling them how many decades its been in case they didn't know.

Meh, good on you for you decisiveness, but I don't get it...

Really?

I have a lot of reluctant respect for that Geelong.

I never saw anyone definitely beating them.

Sides like that bring it when it matters, regardless of their seasons form.

Sides like ours, sadly they are exposed to grainy vision of their sides last flag and old guys telling them they don't want to be the only premiership players existing, supporter groups telling them how many decades its been in case they didn't know.

Meh, good on you for you decisiveness, but I don't get it...
You don't go 19-0 if you aren't good enough to win the flag.

Really frustrated by Gilbert. Silly errors cost us the game. Would bring in Lee for him, much cleaner disposal.

The next thing we need to learn to do as a side is smash teams when we're on top. We wasted opportunities to flog the opposition two weeks in a row, and this week it really bit us on the butt. Bloody shame as it would have been great to beat the dogs twice.

Frustrating loss, but a lot to like about young guys again. Just watched the reserves game and Sinclair looks incredible. Bingo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back