Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Hearing Dimma on 360 last week - he didn't seem resolute in restarting a new rebuild, making it clear to Robbo and Mr. Burns that once this list is done, he may be done with them.

Its the first I've heard Dimma speak like this, usually it's very straight lined, PC answer - this answer was more honest, and more importantly, the vibe I sensed was he's maybe mentally preparing for life after coaching.

Richmond senior coach since 2010, by the end of his contract, he'll have completed his 15th season - longer in duration than probably all our coaches since T Shirt Tommy - combined.

So who do we look towards? Here are some potential options for us,

Chris Newman - Newy has built a solid foundation working with Hawthorn for years, life could come full circle if the transition between Newman and Dimma took place, similar to Mitchell and Clarkson.

Kane Lambert - lauded for his leadership and cool composure, if the desire to become a coach follows, he could work as an assistant under Dimma for a few years until he's promoted to the senior position.

Jack Riewoldt - As passionate about the game as ever, they often say a head coach needs to have charisma, and this is Jack in a nutshell. Could he transition into coaching? Looks more likely to follow in the media pathway of his cousin.

Trent Cotchin - Many ventures await outside of football, Cotch seems to be building his acumen away from the football world - in a similar vein to Chris Judd. If Cotch was to commit to coaching, the take over would be tantalising and very exciting for the fans.

Ivan Maric - Another leader, praised for his calmness and honesty, he's got a wonderful rapport with so many of our current eastern European players- he could very well put his hand up, and maybe coach a couple of stand alone games. Could he become senior coach? It's not out of the question.

Some candidates outside the club spring to mind, but Richmond seem like the club that will go through a process to hire a new coach rather than employ an already established coach from another club. It will be interested to see what lays ahead the next five years, what do you think could happen?

My prediction, Dimma coaches until 2027-2028, take over by Lambo or Newy

Not really keen on our own past players returning to coach, history suggests it generally doesn’t really translate to success
Just get the best person for the job whoever it is, even promoting from within from one of our long term assistants like Kingsley or Clarke who already have established relationships with the players and how they operate

I reckon none of the OP suggestions when it eventually happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if we go down the path of a previous AFL coach...

Matty Knights
Nathan Buckley
David Teague
Adam Simpson (if he leaves WC)
Justin Leppisch

I'm not sure we give someone their first shot, even if it did work out with Dimma...

I think with Dimma's comments he should quit at season's end as he's delirious and delusional if he's not thinking about a rebuild. He's now officially back to 2016 mode where he's playing rejects , spent forces and mates. He needs to be reprogrammed by doing another Summer course at Harvard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with Dimma's comments he should quit at season's end as he's delirious and delusional if he's not thinking about a rebuild. He's now officially back to 2016 mode where he's playing rejects , spent forces and mates. He needs to be reprogrammed by doing another Summer course at Harvard.
"OK Tigers its now been established that every team is beatable and the Premiership window is still open for us,"

You changing your mind again TI? Those two quotes are 24hrs apart, one Saturday morning, the next Sunday morning. So Freo beating the Dees chucks our rebuild out the window. You're confusing Dimma...

Scott Morrison is available, brings leadership and experience talking to the media ;). Only issue is clueless about the sport lol
Not just sport.

"OK Tigers its now been established that every team is beatable and the Premiership window is still open for us,"

You changing your mind again TI? Those two quotes are 24hrs apart, one Saturday morning, the next Sunday morning. So Freo beating the Dees chucks our rebuild out the window. You're confusing Dimma...
it is , but he needs to play more kids and not rely on the usual suspects. What people don't understand is that the competition is so weak that a a few minor tweaks can easily pinch this year's premiership.

it is , but he needs to play more kids and not rely on the usual suspects. What people don't understand is that the competition is so weak that a a few minor tweaks can easily pinch this year's premiership.

So no rebuild then? OK. That's not what you said Sat morning.
ps. the kids cost wins. eg. turnovers vs swans destroyed our chance. Window will be slammed shut if we bring more kids in.

So no rebuild then? OK. That's not what you said Sat morning.
ps. the kids cost wins. eg. turnovers vs swans destroyed our chance. Window will be slammed shut if we bring more kids in.
Tend to agree, I think right now we have a pretty good mix of sr bodies and kids, we have anywhere between 3 and 5 young players every week, ideally I would like to see another young mid come in but that would probably mean dropping Edwards but he has shown decent form the last few weeks

The only other player that we could probably give a rest is Castagna for another small forward but it might be a tough sell having both Rioli Jr and another rookie both playing the small role

I suspect in the back half of the year we might see some of the other younger kids get a crack at well to give them a taste

Hearing Dimma on 360 last week - he didn't seem resolute in restarting a new rebuild, making it clear to Robbo and Mr. Burns that once this list is done, he may be done with them.

Its the first I've heard Dimma speak like this, usually it's very straight lined, PC answer - this answer was more honest, and more importantly, the vibe I sensed was he's maybe mentally preparing for life after coaching.

Richmond senior coach since 2010, by the end of his contract, he'll have completed his 15th season - longer in duration than probably all our coaches since T Shirt Tommy - combined.

So who do we look towards? Here are some potential options for us,

Chris Newman - Newy has built a solid foundation working with Hawthorn for years, life could come full circle if the transition between Newman and Dimma took place, similar to Mitchell and Clarkson.

Kane Lambert - lauded for his leadership and cool composure, if the desire to become a coach follows, he could work as an assistant under Dimma for a few years until he's promoted to the senior position.

Jack Riewoldt - As passionate about the game as ever, they often say a head coach needs to have charisma, and this is Jack in a nutshell. Could he transition into coaching? Looks more likely to follow in the media pathway of his cousin.

Trent Cotchin - Many ventures await outside of football, Cotch seems to be building his acumen away from the football world - in a similar vein to Chris Judd. If Cotch was to commit to coaching, the take over would be tantalising and very exciting for the fans.

Ivan Maric - Another leader, praised for his calmness and honesty, he's got a wonderful rapport with so many of our current eastern European players- he could very well put his hand up, and maybe coach a couple of stand alone games. Could he become senior coach? It's not out of the question.

Some candidates outside the club spring to mind, but Richmond seem like the club that will go through a process to hire a new coach rather than employ an already established coach from another club. It will be interested to see what lays ahead the next five years, what do you think could happen?

My prediction, Dimma coaches until 2027-2028, take over by Lambo or Newy
Don't think we can just pick a bunch of ex players as potential coaches. Jack Riewoldt is clearly going the media path and being groomed for a role there similar to Nick at Fox.

Cotchin looks like a guy who after AFL, will very much enjoy getting away from the footy bubble with his wife and family.

Newman and Grigg are interesting, well rated assistants with experience.

Personally, depending on the timing, I'd be looking at someone like Adam Yze from Melbourne. Picking the assistants from successful sides seems a pretty good option.

Scott Morrison is available, brings leadership and experience talking to the media ;). Only issue is clueless about the sport lol

Would bring an extra focus to our tackling and also isn't afraid to play the kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back