Richmond v North Melbourne - Round 23, 2015 - 7:50 @ MCG

Good pick up from the Dogs, but hard to see that happening, averages 9 kicks and 17 possessions this year, cant see how he would get in the AA squad?
40 man squad, averaged close to two goals a game from a forward flank. we are not talking the team. There has to be two or three in the squad, Goldie, Thomas, Higgins... how many did Lindsay kick this year? he was dropped last year am I right, or was he dropped this year. my memory is ferked

40 man squad, averaged close to two goals a game from a forward flank. we are not talking the team. There has to be two or three in the squad, Goldie, Thomas, Higgins... how many did Lindsay kick this year? he was dropped last year am I right, or was he dropped this year. my memory is ferked
Thomas has had a terrible year. Goldy a lock Higgins a chance. That is all from the Roos.

Well, it depends on whether they're actually picking players by position. 19.5 disposals, 1.7 goals, 0.8 goal assists and 3.7 tackles per game is elite for a true half forward flanker.

Players by position don't be ridiculous its the AA team.

Might be too many slightly better mid/forward players in front of him that will take up the forward flank and forward pocket spots.

Players by position don't be ridiculous its the AA team.

Might be too many slightly better mid/forward players in front of him that will take up the forward flank and forward pocket spots.

Personally, my AA forward line would be:

HF: Chad Wingard - Jack Gunston - Shaun Higgins
F: Eddie Betts - Josh Kennedy - Jack Riewoldt

Well although I said he wouldn't make the squad I guess he could, just not sure he has done quite enough for the actual team, not bagging him he is a top pick up, but just feel there will be to many better midfielder come forwards that will take up those forward spots, then again they often pluck some straight out of their arses while missing others that deserve it.

, then again they often pluck some straight out of their arses while missing others that deserve it.
the selectors always throw a rabbit out of the hat as a token. But, usually you need to lay down the groundwork for your selection, for a good two seasons, so everyone knows your name as a franchise player. or, the umpires chose you the previous year in the BL, and now the selectors need to retrofit validation by selecting a PRiddis or Woewodin.

I'll be happy with goldy and nic nat as the two rucks, sandilands has had a good year also. It's a shame we can't pump games into daw.
I'd take him up to the top-end and play him with the indigenous players league in the summer, on the ball, as a ruck-rover, no ruck duties, just to learn the game, then have him play VFL ressies on the ball, same MO, no ruck duties, no key position, then see if he has learnt anything over those 18 months. pretty tough ask to learn on the job.

I'd take him up to the top-end and play him with the indigenous players league in the summer, on the ball, as a ruck-rover, no ruck duties, just to learn the game, then have him play VFL ressies on the ball, same MO, no ruck duties, no key position, then see if he has learnt anything over those 18 months. pretty tough ask to learn on the job.
Not a bad idea, if he could learn to get where the ball is more often he could be scary.

Harvey, Higgins, Dal Santo could shred the Tigers next week.

As for the Tigers top shelf, stopping Martin and Lids should dry up Jack enough to make them seize up.

Other than that, just make sure Jacks leads are to the pocket and that'll do the trick.

See thats the thing, has this rest helped you guys, it would mean your "guns" lol have had nearly 2 weeks with zero match conditioning. We should have a 9 day rest which is way more then enough to refresh but also not lose conditioning. The other thing i noticed, is you wont get away with your backs hugging jack and tyrone when the ball is in the midfield as much as you did last night.

It was laughable how much leeway your backs got to block our forwards movement even when the ball was in the HBF.

Hard to say with 9 players in the stands, apart from Goldy though most of those rested aren't close to being A graders, in fact a couple of the reserves they played tonight look better than the ones they rested.

As we are likely to play in Melbourne on Sunday I cant see why they needed the to rest all those players, and hopefully our team takes it as a bit of an insult by Scot, they will have a nine day break as it is, dangerous to flirt with form but I guess we will know if it worked by next Sunday night.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before but if North won and Adelaide lost, then North would have been in the West Coast/Hawthorn side of the draw - assuming they get past Footscray that is. Maybe North thought the Swans/Fremantle side of the draw easier - assuming again they get past Richmond.

See thats the thing, has this rest helped you guys, it would mean your "guns" lol have had nearly 2 weeks with zero match conditioning. We should have a 9 day rest which is way more then enough to refresh but also not lose conditioning. The other thing i noticed, is you wont get away with your backs hugging jack and tyrone when the ball is in the midfield as much as you did last night.

It was laughable how much leeway your backs got to block our forwards movement even when the ball was in the HBF.

Wouldn't it be 15 days if as thought the game will be on Sunday.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before but if North won and Adelaide lost, then North would have been in the West Coast/Hawthorn side of the draw - assuming they get past Footscray that is. Maybe North thought the Swans/Fremantle side of the draw easier - assuming again they get past Richmond.

Doubt that, remember the swans crushed them last year. It was like girls v men in that game

Doubt that, remember the swans crushed them last year. It was like girls v men in that game

That is true but North and Sydney are a lot closer this year, and as well they have beaten Fremantle. Also, North may not like another game against Footscray given the scraggers beat them pretty easily only last week. All conjecture, and I really don't think it matters - if Richmond bring their "A game" next week they will win easily.

I love this:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-05/scott-claims-vindication-for-resting-stars-demands-apology

I think that was the point Brad. You're meant to be insulted instead of proud for losing.

Nothing against North, they received approval from the league to rest players, so fair enough, but Brad Scott went the strawman there.

There were very few claiming that the players who took the field didn't intend to win the game, so he's misleading on the opponent's position.

It was the decisions made by the selection committee that knowingly and significantly reduced North's chance of winning this particular game.

Pretty breathtaking that he is demanding an apology, especially given he professes not to know who it was who made the claim in the first place.

Last edited:
On the game itself, I only watched the first half, and apparently he couldn't run out the whole game at that level, but I thought Daw did very well.

Should be a really interesting rematch - how the teams will adapt their tactics and the changes in selected sides and if the rest helps North (think it will).

A brief thumbs up for Ivan Maric - his interview on 3AW today was great - his delivery is so deadpan that you never know if he's answering fully earnestly or taking the mickey. He's supposed to be a very polite, well-mannered bloke, so maybe it's the former. Either way, not one for metaphysical gear, old Ivan:

Caro: Are you as a team going to review those finals from previous years?
Ivan: Nup.

Caro: Are you a different team now even to that team from a year ago?
Ivan: Well there's different personnel, so definitely it's a different team.

Caro: So tell us what happens now with the nine day break.
Ivan: We have a normal program that we do for the nine day break.
Caro: Which is?
Ivan: So do you want me to go through the whole week? So Monday... (EDIT: everybody cracks up)
Caro: There's no need to be a smart alec, Ivan...

Last edited:
Caro: Are you as a team going to review those finals from previous years?
Ivan: Nup.

Caro: Are you a different team now even to that team from a year ago?
Ivan: Well there's different personnel, so definitely it's a different team.

Caro: So tell us what happens now with the nine day break.
Ivan: We have a normal program that we do for the nine day break.
Caro: Which is?
Ivan: So do you want me to go through the whole week? So Monday...
Caro: There's no need to be a smart alec, Ivan...

You forgot to add the laughter from Caro and big Ivy. Their was jest in his last comment, he is as dry as a bone with humour to match.

Back