Opinion Richmond's Future Talls Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hampson , Vickery , Griffiths , Maric - We dont need to and cant afford to trade any of these players unless McBean/Elton are clear winners

All players mentioned above are injury prone players Hampson (through out his career has had various types of injuries and barely would be able to string 12-15 games a season)

Griffiths - Shoulders have been held by tooth picks and is yet to play significant games in a season since juniors
Maric - Groins + Foot and is getting older
Vickery - probably the more durable but has also had issue's with injuries

Add into the calculations like form and suspensions i would say that there would be lucky to have 5-6 games where every player is available at 1 time. thats where resting talls comes into play.

Why trade Grimes? Who would we have to replace if Chaplin or Astbury got injured? Darrou? Who has never played a game of AFL before? If anything we need to trade in a young KPD, not give one away.
Even though i do rate Grimes highly, If a trade enables us to get a A grade mid from GWS/GC combined with picks - I would jump at that

Because he's injury prone, overrated, will only ever be a 3rd tall, has some trade value, and can be covered by Elton, Batchelor, Darrou, or McIntosh – ie. he's the most expendable tall on the list. cool hey bro :thumbsu:
Would you really trust any of those players to take the opposition's third most dangerous forward. The type of player Grimes plays on are the D. Martins, Chapmans, Breusts out there when playing small and or the second best tall like a Gunston, Westhoff etc . Elton is a FF, Darrou and McIntosh haven't played a game and Batchelor gets exposed when playing tall.

The most expendable tall on our list is Vickery and he has far more trade value than Grimes.

Hampson , Vickery , Griffiths , Maric - We dont need to and cant afford to trade any of these players unless McBean/Elton are clear winners

All players mentioned above are injury prone players Hampson (through out his career has had various types of injuries and barely would be able to string 12-15 games a season)

Griffiths - Shoulders have been held by tooth picks and is yet to play significant games in a season since juniors
Maric - Groins + Foot and is getting older
Vickery - probably the more durable but has also had issue's with injuries

Add into the calculations like form and suspensions i would say that there would be lucky to have 5-6 games where every player is available at 1 time. thats where resting talls comes into play.
Griffiths has been injury-free for a good year and a half to two years. The only reason he couldn't crack it into the side last year is because he wasn't good enough. He doesn't even wear strapping anymore.

Griffiths has been injury-free for a good year and a half to two years. The only reason he couldn't crack it into the side last year is because he wasn't good enough. He doesn't even wear strapping anymore.
I cant remember atm what his injury was last year but i seem to remember he misse 2-3 games of vfl due to injury last year or is my memory playing games with me at my age

Even though i do rate Grimes highly, If a trade enables us to get a A grade mid from GWS/GC combined with picks - I would jump at that
Only if we can find a replacement for him. The cupboard is really empty for us in terms of KPD.
I cant remember atm what his injury was last year but i seem to remember he misse 2-3 games of vfl due to injury last year or is my memory playing games with me at my age
Knee, it got knocked pretty hard during a match, accidental. He also gets a fair share of head knocks too.

Because he's injury prone, overrated, will only ever be a 3rd tall, has some trade value, and can be covered by Elton, Batchelor, Darrou, or McIntosh – ie. he's the most expendable tall on the list. cool hey bro :thumbsu:

Grimes needs to get his body right and all the signs are he has... his value is under rated because he can play small or tall... what does " will only ever be a 3rd tall mean" ??? what a stupid comment. Grimes was our most promising defender before his Hammies.... if he only becomes a third tall who cares??? all the signs this year is he is getting his form back. Took a couple of great pack marks in brisbane. He is one player I would not be trading....

I don't think he was got for back up as he was seen to used in conjunction with Maric on the same day. This is why I think it was the right play. On the gc/gws those rucks weren't got rid of for min chips, as they got high picks back for them in Hickey(pick 13), Caddy(mid range ablett compo pick 10-15) etc.

Conjunction? where does he play when he isnt rucking?

Don't agree with this, except for the injury prone bit.... Wouldn't back any of the others to be able to play 3rd tall as effectively as Grimes has shown he can play it. Can we get an upgrade, well hopefully but the upgrade would be at the expense of one of the others you mentioned. Darrou isn't going to make it, Batch is in serious trouble it seems, McIntosh is an unknown and Elton has only shown ability as a forward and not huge amounts of it.... Right now he is behind TV, Griff, JR and maybe even McBean....

Would you really trust any of those players to take the opposition's third most dangerous forward.

Yes. That's why they are on the list. Not asking them to step into the shoes of an AA Full back, but a decent 3rd defender. might even get some ******* rebound.

The type of player Grimes plays on are the D. Martins, Chapmans, Breusts out there when playing small and or the second best tall like a Gunston, Westhoff etc .

God help us. But seriously, Grimes doesnt take the second best tall. He takes the third.

Elton is a FF, Darrou and McIntosh haven't played a game and Batchelor gets exposed when playing tall.

Elton isn't a FFs a-hole at this point and he'd be down the queue anyway with McIntosh. Half the players you mentioned Grimes plays on aren't talls so Batchelor wouldn't be exposed most weeks. Darrou is capable where Batchelor isn't.

The most expendable tall on our list is Vickery and he has far more trade value than Grimes.

Outside of Jack, Vickery is our only tall forward that has kicked goals at AFL level on a regular basis. 100% required. You talk about trust in inexperienced players, you must have a lot in 1 game Elton as a FF, McBean who has never played a game, and Griffiths who has played maybe 3 good games in his career and one of those was as a defender.

I disagree with you on everything except Vickery having higher trade value than Grimes. That's true.

Vickery is our 2nd best KPF, Grimes our 4th best KPD. You'd think based on that it'd be a pretty fair opinion to hold that Grimes is our most expendable tall. FFS. Like it or lump it, that's my view champ and you ain't changing it.

Grimes needs to get his body right and all the signs are he has... his value is under rated because he can play small or tall... what does " will only ever be a 3rd tall mean" ??? what a stupid comment. Grimes was our most promising defender before his Hammies.... if he only becomes a third tall who cares??? all the signs this year is he is getting his form back. Took a couple of great pack marks in brisbane. He is one player I would not be trading....

Third defenders are easier to replace than a FB or a CHB. Grimes will never play those positions. He's a promising player with value that could get us something other than a biscuit at the trade table and his loss isn't going to set the side back dramatically, whilst giving us an opportunity to improve the list elsewhere. Could be a win/win. They are usually the trades that actually get done.

There is so much crap being posted on here about McIntosh by people who wouldnt know the kid if he shat on their heads, Have any of you people who have posted about this kid ever seen him play a game ( i doubt it)

I have no doubt all 3 of the Mc's will be starting 22 players in 2016
McIntosh - HBF/Wing/3rd tall
McBean - FF/FP/Ruck relief
McDonough - FP/Mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Batch doesn't come on soon it will mean we have wasted another second round pick just like the one we used on Hampson. With Conca being taken before Heppell, Prestia and Lynch it's time to have a serious look at Francis and Blair .

On topic of orevious posts above Grimes has a lot if work to do to get back to his past best. He provides absolutely nothing in attack out of the backline and is barley doing his job. I'd replace him with Darrou right now
If we could. I wouldn't be looking at trading him right now I'd be giving him games on the wing in the VFL to see what he can produce. At the moment he is a spoiler half a second behind his man . Hopefully his fitness gets back to what it was , he deserves that chance , if not seeya later alligator

There is so much crap being posted on here about McIntosh by people who wouldnt know the kid if he shat on their heads, Have any of you people who have posted about this kid ever seen him play a game ( i doubt it)

I have no doubt all 3 of the Mc's will be starting 22 players in 2016
McIntosh - HBF/Wing/3rd tall
McBean - FF/FP/Ruck relief
McDonough - FP/Mid

I definitely think McIntosh will be in the team, not as a 3rd tall though.

I definitely think McIntosh will be in the team, not as a 3rd tall though.
I can really see Kamdyn Playing a similar role to Andrew Mackie from the cats, Not sure if he can get to the lofty heights of mackie but hoping that he does
both similar height 192/3 and 89/90 kgs Kamdyn is also a extremely good athlete with a good leap which makes him ideal for that running defender role that goes up the ground to get the occasional goal.

If we are going down the path of trading a tall at the end of the year then at the moment the 2 that I would be throwing on the table are Vickery and Grimes.
IMO either one would be expendable and would be worth moving on if it helped us secure a deal to get a player of greater importance to the side going forward. Right now Vickery would be the one who would bring us the most. Vickery has shown that as a tall target up forward he can kick you 40+ goals in a season. He can also pinch hit in the ruck. A pick in the early second round/late first round or as part of a package deal to upgrade a pick of ours to a better pick or to secure a gun player would be what I'd expect from him going.

Grimes while not as valuable because of the hammy concerns could be of use if he was part of a package deal. He has all the attributes to be a quality 3rd tall but right now would be behind Astbury Chaplin and Rance in the race for a spot in the 22, although I wouldn't mind giving him a game along side them in a role similar to what Mackie plays for Geelong, i.e. rebounding HB who can handle a tricky opponent without having to battle a gorilla type KPF. Grimes IMO would draw us a mid-late second round pick because of the injury concerns and because he is not IMO a true KPD but more a hybrid. Still our second round pick and Grimes might be enough to trade into a mid-late first round pick depending on the club that was chasing him.

I can really see Kamdyn Playing a similar role to Andrew Mackie from the cats, Not sure if he can get to the lofty heights of mackie but hoping that he does
both similar height 192/3 and 89/90 kgs Kamdyn is also a extremely good athlete with a good leap which makes him ideal for that running defender role that goes up the ground to get the occasional goal.
Birchall is another.

All this talk about trading Tyrone is crazy, There are teams that pay big dollars to get players like tyrone to their clubs - Tyrone will be the player that we want along with Ben Griffiths we will be in good position. patience is required guys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back