Richo out for Round 13 ????

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo may be rested
3:51:20 PM Tue 14 June, 2005
Scott Spits

Sportal for afl.com.au
Richmond will consider resting spearhead Matthew Richardson for this week's crucial clash against Adelaide at Telstra Dome because the champion forward is battling knee soreness.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace revealed on Tuesday that the veteran forward had been hampered by knee soreness all season, and the club might take advantage of the split round to give Richardson a couple of weeks without playing.

"He's sore and he's played sore for some time," Wallace said at Punt Road.

"We're going to be struggling for him to come up this week. That's where he's at at the moment. It's a day-by-day basis with him."

Wallace said a decision would be made later in the week but Richardson, who has kicked 35 goals from 12 matches in 2005, would not train during the week.

"We've got to make a choice. Do we give him a rest where he's got a three-week period to get himself right for the second half of the season, or do we try and get him through another couple of hours of footy?" Wallace said.

The first-year Richmond coach revealed that Richardson, who played his 200th AFL match earlier this season, was regularly having fluid drained from his knee prior to games.

"It's not much fun when you're going into the medical room before the game and you're getting fluid - and a considerable amount of fluid - taken out.

"He's just struggling through that period of his time at the moment."

Richardson's knee soreness was predominantly the result of wear and tear on the 30-year-old's body.

"He certainly didn't carry it into the season," Wallace said.

"He's had probably two or three episodes throughout the season and they've been different things. One was a strain, one was bone bruising to the top of the bone. All that has inflamed everything within his knee joint.

"Every time he plays or trains it just blows up again. We're spending all week trying to get it down and trying to get it into some sort of shape for the game."

Leaving Richardson out of the Richmond team would further deplete the Tigers' forward line, already less potent after they lost their best player Nathan Brown with a season-ending broken leg against Melbourne in round 10.

Richmond had raced to a 7-2 record after round nine but the Tigers have lost their past three matches - to the Demons, West Coast and the Kangaroos.

The Tigers will consider bringing in star recruit Richard Tambling, who has been restricted to just four games this year because of hamstring, back and toe injuries. Midfielder Chris Hyde, who was impressive for the Coburg Tigers in the VFL at the weekend, is another possible inclusion.

birdmanptr said:
If it is true might have to rethink my bet this week.Tigers under 39 and a half and not over 39 and a half

alot of richmond supporters such as yourself are fairly confident of winning the crows/tigers clash, and no doubt its a danger game, but this is just sensational news.

Richardson has been doubtful each week for *tries to think* well at least since the Port Adelaide game. So there may be truth in this.

birdmanptr said:
If it is true might have to rethink my bet this week.Tigers under 39 and a half and not over 39 and a half

Doesn't matter which one you pick.

I suggest you double up on your bet and that way you can lose twice as much.

Then you'll really have something to whinge your guts out about.

topjars said:
Bad luck for Rutten. He would have been looking forward to this scalp :)

If Richmond play a small forward line, might be a chance to try Rutten up forward without losing much in the backline.

I often back the opposition in crucial away games, so at least I'll have something to drown my sorrows with if we lose.

Richo is obviously a massive exclusion if he misses, but how often do we see a team lift together to make up for a big name absent?

Anyway, personally, I'd rather the big man in for Saturday night.

This is a crunch game before a 2 week break.
He won't train, he won't look like playing. At 7pm on Saturday night he'll emerge from the race more fired up than ever. If the game looks gone he'll go to the bench.

I'm more interested in Edwards coming up - an important player for you Guys.. Do you think he'll play?

ant said:
Richo is obviously a massive exclusion if he misses, but how often do we see a team lift together to make up for a big name absent?

Anyway, personally, I'd rather the big man in for Saturday night.

Exactly, most teams lift in situations like what the Tigers will find themselves in this week if Richo does not play.

& i too would feel a bit better if he played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigerland said:
He won't train, he won't look like playing. At 7pm on Saturday night he'll emerge from the race more fired up than ever. If the game looks gone he'll go to the bench.

I'm more interested in Edwards coming up - an important player for you Guys.. Do you think he'll play?

Hope he does play. Like seeing the dummy spits. Seriously he will be another test for Rutten.

Edwards also maybe given a rest. His body is sore and been feeling it for the past month.

Toe bag Terry would not give vital information away to the media or the other side that easy, that’s why I believe that its just reverse phycology and Mathew Richardson will play. Put it in Ben Rutten mind that he is not going to play and try and get under his guard by not having him study his game to its fullest degree.

Sure he has had a bad knee but I honestly don’t believe that they would say he is going to miss that early in the week and before he has had an operation on it.

crows98 said:
Toe bag Terry would not give vital information away to the media or the other side that easy, that’s why I believe that its just reverse phycology and Mathew Richardson will play. Put it in Ben Rutten mind that he is not going to play and try and get under his guard by not having him study his game to its fullest degree.

Sure he has had a bad knee but I honestly don’t believe that they would say he is going to miss that early in the week and before he has had an operation on it.

That my feeling as well.

crows98 said:

yep - I'm starting to think its a bit of a smokescreen as well.....!

crows98 said:

Your right. If Richmond were going to have him go under the knife, they would have done it first thing after the game on the weekend. You wouldnt leave it all week, then decide not to play him and put him in for surgery. If they were serious, he would have already had the surgery and that would give him the extra week off before resuming after the break. I think he will play and immediately after the game he will go in for the surgery.

Tigerland said:

I reckon Richo will play for sure, especially considering a top 4 berth is on the line. The loser of this one can just about write off any chance of finsihing in the top 4. It will still be mathematically possible, but 7 wins from 9 would be tough.

As for Edwards, I reckon he's 50/50. I'm hoping Watts comes in this week to stretch your backline.

SpringChoke said:
I reckon Richo will play for sure, especially considering a top 4 berth is on the line. The loser of this one can just about write off any chance of finsihing in the top 4. It will still be mathematically possible, but 7 wins from 9 would be tough.

As for Edwards, I reckon he's 50/50. I'm hoping Watts comes in this week to stretch your backline.
My first reaction and still my reaction

Complaining about the surface is poppytosh

Terry Wallace knows he needs to distract the media somehow

PerthCrow said:
My first reaction and still my reaction
Complaining about the surface is poppytosh
Terry Wallace knows he needs to distract the media somehow
----------------------------------------------
Distracting the media? Interesting idea but totally wrong.
The centre square surface looked terrible on the weekend. Every Coach has complained about it at some stage. If a Crow player does his knee on the slippery surface we won't hear the end of how bad the surface is.

Tigerland said:
----------------------------------------------
Distracting the media? Interesting idea but totally wrong.
The centre square surface looked terrible on the weekend. Every Coach has complained about it at some stage. If a Crow player does his knee on the slippery surface we won't hear the end of how bad the surface is.
Your probably right. I do know we discussed on this board before our first game there how hard it was going to be on Mark Stevens knees, but as with Richo , if he couldnt play on one ground because of his knee then why not rest until its right? I still think Richo will play...but hey the soft hearted pea has a ready made excuse doesnt he?

''sorry coach its not that Rutten is killing me..my knee is sore''

Remove this Banner Ad

Back