Jackfrost

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
20 years to the day that Kurt Cobain took his life. Sad thinking about it today but was absolutely devastated as a 14y old. Looking on the bright side 20 years on, he went out at the absolute top of his game and left us with the best live album of all time as his last ever concert.
RIP Kurt

Big fan as a teenager and I still love a lot of their songs.

People throw around the word genius too often these days and Kurt Cobain is not one but he wrote some decent tunes (in between some bad ones) and In Utero is a classic album IMO.

Frances Farmer is such a jam.

My first favourite band. I used to carry around the Live and Acoustic album as a three-year old, an accidental inheritance from a family member. That's still my favourite work by theirs, which is probably a pretentious choice, but there'll always be an attachment for me because of it. I wish I was way more into them, and one day I should dig in, but definitely worth the attention he and they got.

And one of the great hypotheticals, along with Jeff Buckley and Weezer not firing Matt Sharp, is how they would've progressed. Or where he would've gone next.

I'm not even 20. But I'm listening to him right now. what a ledgend

Cobain's death was the first death of a rock star that really affected me, like most Gen Xers I was a big fan of Nirvana and had all their albums so it was shattering to realise that they wouldn't be making any more albums. It didn't come as a huge surprise though as there were reports that Kurt was going off the rails with drugs and nearly died from a heroin overdose a few months earlier.

Thankfully they recorded that Unplugged in New York album before his death which really shows his true genius as a songwriter and musician.

Kurt was such a sad loss. I remember Michael Stipe saying that Nirvana's next step was to follow on from the Unplugged set and made a quieter album. It's just sad that we all missed out on more music from him.

Kurt was such a sad loss. I remember Michael Stipe saying that Nirvana's next step was to follow on from the Unplugged set and made a quieter album. It's just sad that we all missed out on more music from him.

Weren't Nirvana on the verge of breaking up right around the time of Kurts death?

Weren't Nirvana on the verge of breaking up right around the time of Kurts death?
Depends which reports you listen to. Some say they were midway through their fourth album.

You Know You're Right was supposedly a complete track from the fourth album wasn't it?

I was living in Adelaide when Nirvana toured back in '92 and I saw them at the Thebby. It was a typical hot Adelaide summers day and the place was jumping before Nirvana hit the stage. I will never forget that night as it was the only time I ever saw my 6'4 mate crowd surfing. We had both sculled a half bottle of scotch each walking into the gig, it was so hot, and the mosh pit so intense that I walked out sober as a judge. An incredible night!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys are to much. Of all the front men and women to die way before their time, this guy is at the bottom of the pile. Him and Paula Yates will be at it somewhere between shifts cleaning Janis Joplins laundry.

sorry, he did make some good tunes, but he was merican trash. Not something Aussie kids should be idolising.

You guys are to much. Of all the front men and women to die way before their time, this guy is at the bottom of the pile. Him and Paula Yates will be at it somewhere between shifts cleaning Janis Joplins laundry.

sorry, he did make some good tunes, but he was merican trash. Not something Aussie kids should be idolising.

You're a ****wit

American trash? What? I think the phrase "American trash," connotes the negative sides of US culture and they things they perpetuate, create, and seem to be associated with. I'm pretty sure this dude was against the system and gave hope to the kids who felt they didn't fit in with 'America.' He wasn't the only one, there's plenty of bands who were doing it and alternative music has always endeared itself most to outsiders and loners, but he was the head of it. He and they were the zeitgeist.

I was living in Adelaide when Nirvana toured back in '92 and I saw them at the Thebby. It was a typical hot Adelaide summers day and the place was jumping before Nirvana hit the stage. I will never forget that night as it was the only time I ever saw my 6'4 mate crowd surfing. We had both sculled a half bottle of scotch each walking into the gig, it was so hot, and the mosh pit so intense that I walked out sober as a judge. An incredible night!
This is so cool. I read somewhere that if you listened to everyone, about 45,000 people would've been at every show. I'm not disputing you but complimenting – being a part of something so revered and essential in (Australian) music history is something most people dream of. Being there during that is something you can tell a lot of people about and they all know what it means.

I think we should be kind of proud of the fact we've gotten behind some bands before other places did. The Strokes debut album came out when they were playing about two shows a day and spending two weeks here. That thing changed guitar music. A classic. And of course having Nirvana here when they broke is a special thing... really really cool.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/38947/Behind-the-scenes-of-Nirvanas-only-Australian-tour

This is so cool. I read somewhere that if you listened to everyone, about 45,000 people would've been at every show. I'm not disputing you but complimenting – being a part of something so revered and essential in (Australian) music history is something most people dream of. Being there during that is something you can tell a lot of people about and they all know what it means.

I think we should be kind of proud of the fact we've gotten behind some bands before other places did. The Strokes debut album came out when they were playing about two shows a day and spending two weeks here. That thing changed guitar music. A classic. And of course having Nirvana here when they broke is a special thing... really really cool.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/38947/Behind-the-scenes-of-Nirvanas-only-Australian-tour

Yeah, it is one of those, I wish I was there moments, and I was. Another similar gig was also in Adelaide, seeing Faith No More at Le Rox in 1990 (I Think).

BTW, It was that fasterlouder story that prompted my post.

Dude, I am one of the first ones to say Nirvana is very over-rated, Sloppy guitar work and average voice, But he wrote some very good songs,

Dude, I am one of the first ones to say Nirvana is very over-rated, Sloppy guitar work and average voice, But he wrote some very good songs,

Average voice?

ejy3a6az.jpg

How old were you when they first hit the scene?
As a late teen, early 20's at the time, they summed up how a lot of us felt at the time. Certainly for me.
It was something that no other band managed to do at that time

How old were you when they first hit the scene?
As a late teen, early 20's at the time, they summed up how a lot of us felt at the time. Certainly for me.
It was something that no other band managed to do at that time
Old enough to party:cool:

Average voice?
yeah i said it, come at me.

Not the biggest fan, of his guitar work (Sloppy) or Singing (I personally think his voice is very average) But had a rare talent for song-writing, You don't cruise on 20 years of popularity for just writing a few hit songs over a couple of years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back