Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v North Friday 29th March 4.20PM @ Marvel - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young
NEW: Elijah Hollands

Round 3 team v North Melbourne
Backs:Caleb MarchbankJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLewis Young

Team stickied ⬆️

IN: Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young

NEW: Elijah Hollands

Kicking efficiency is a severely flawed stat and I don't have access to any others that would measure "elite kicking". As such, I just watch the games and especially in the match against Brisbane there were multiple choices by foot Boyd made that I promise you 95% of our team wouldn't make and/or be able to execute.

And it isn't always massive stuff. For instance, check out Boyd's kick to Cripps at 0.27 in the vid below. That kick there would normally go down the line to the one-on-one contest on the wing. Instead he draws Cripps into that open space in the corridor and hits him - now the play breaks down because the handball from Cripps to Kemp doesn't work but that kick improves our chances of scoring.

Now move on to 0.43 in the video when Boyd hits Acres. Acres is leading to the wing to try and make it a 2-on-1 contest out wide. Every player in our team will kick it there but Boyd forces Acres to move back into the corridor and hits a difficult inside kick. Again this opens up the corridor far more than the alternative kick would have.

I agree that the kicks to Cripps and Acres were excellent, what I'm asking is how that stacks up to his peers, how often does he create that opportunity for himself, and how consistent this is when he's offered the opportunity.

I don't think it's enough to justify his spot in the team necessarily it's just a nice thing for him to have when the time comes to execute. As you can see in that same video, there wasn't a lot of key defensive plays, and almost every other kick was a regulation pass you expect AFL players to hit if they want to survive in the competition.

Probably beyond either of our scope to be honest, but that's my line of thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following the Club’s main training session on Wednesday, both Cuningham (calf) and Jesse Motlop (hamstring) were ruled out of selection. Kemp and Young have both been omitted.

Seems Motlop has injured his hammy at training

Shame about Cunners. Interesting to see if Elijah is a genuine upgrade on DC.

Like I said previously, Kemp is stiff. But it puts pressure on the 22 playing to perform. Even Young is a bit stiff. Wasn’t terrible against Lynch (who gifted goals).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't necesssarily agree with the changes. Weitering and Marchbank have had no football at all. I wanted Weitering back, but Marchbank isn't significantly better than Kemp in order to come back in with no footy behind him.

Cuningham's injury may have saved him being dropped. I had him as sub in my team.

Really starting to wonder what is happening with Motlop now. A toe injury isn't it, or is it? His absence saves Durdin or Fantasia, one of whom would have surely made way.

I'm not feeling great about Durdin to be honest. I like his speed, but he just does not do enough. 2 disposals, and 2 pressure acts in that tight last quarter against Richmond ... just doesn't cut it. He was fresh. He should have had an impact. I realise that a lot of posters like him and see him as being important, but we have depth now and players need to produce. If the sub call comes down to Durdin or Fantasia, I'd pick Durdin. Fantasia can at least link up from the midfield to the forward 50.

I knew Elijah would come in. The club loved him in the practice games. Missing two games suspended doesn't require VFL games. You'd rather that than missing two games injured. Now, I just hope Ollie and Elijah continue to play the percentages and don't go looking for each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back